I was hired to animate this 3 minute clay animation for an organization here in Kentucky that helps abused and neglected kids. This was a really fun project, it was the first piece I have done that was for a real client. I have never had to develop existing characters before, so it was interesting to take someone else's drawing and turn them into workable puppets. Everything for this piece was built from scratch and animated in my very humble studio (more like an attic.) It took several months of work, trying to fit enough time in and around my senior year of high school. Any comments, advice or criticism is welcome. Everybody on this site is so knowledgable and any help I can get is great for a learning animator. 

Here is the link to it on YouTube http://youtu.be/ap7Q5Ew05gk

Views: 430

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ah ok, I figured the style was yours. It came out really well, I hope it's ok to post on our page as a new news item.

Thanks Marc. Feel free to post it, that would be great.

I've been animating for a few years now, and there is nothing I can teach you! That was a thoroughly professional production in every way. The animation is both smooth and expressive, the lip synch works, the timing is well judged, it's well shot and well edited. You're in high school and you're doing work of this quality? I'm gobsmacked!
I was very impressed with your animation Ian. Excellent work!

That really is quite excellent!

Great work! It is very endearing and lovely to watch! Congrats on the job!

Rotten kids and their stoopid talent...grumble grumble...startin' so young...mutter mutter...doin' such fine work...arghul bargul whargle wheeze...

Just don't let me catch you on my lawn.

Let me repeat as others have and express my amazement at the talent you have shown here.

The only critiques I can offer are to work on your lighting as your puppets appeared (at times) a tad too flat looking, but, since I have a feeling that that's connected to your set limitations, it's hardly an issue and just me nitpicking. Animation wise, everything fits the style perfectly.

Congratulations on doing such great work for an equally great cause.

That was incredible ... and done in clay too ... OMG
I hate clay. It is so unforgiving and you did it so well ... Nothing worse than young talented kids in high school. O.K. I'm depressed ... sigh
Well done Ian, amazing, and in clay.
Yes I am so depressed .... time for a beer. ;-)
... jbd

Wow, that was nice. I especially like the cat walking around on the bed, circling as cats do. Nice characters and lighting, and professional-looking sculpting as well. Is your instructor a clay animator?

Thanks everybody, it means a lot! 

@Sean O'Hara, I agree, I think lighting is one of my biggest issues. It makes it a bit hard when I am working in an attic, but hey at least its better than nothing. 

@Don Carlson, I am glad I got the cat right. I am more of a dog person, so I had to watch a bunch of cat videos on youtube to see how cats move. I actually have never had any animation teachers. I am self taught along with the help of this site, books, etc. As far as I know there are no other stop motion animators in Louisville.

Wow Ian,

I can only loudly repeat what everyone else has said.  You've done an incredible job.  Your work is clean, precise and beautiful, and you're a youngster!  And therefore incredibly annoying.  Really nice job!

Randy B

Reply to Discussion

RSS

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

STOPMO NEWBIES
basic stopmo discussion

ANIMATOR TALK
experienced animators looking to improve

CAMERA & STAGE
animation camera, lighting and moco rigs

ANIMATION TOOLS & EQUIPMENT
animation tool and rigging discussion

STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS
frame capture, editing, and post-production

STORY
script, storyboarding and storyreel discussion

SOUND
lip-sync, sound effects and music

YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT
discuss your stopmo film

ARMATURES
ball & socket and wire armature discussion

MACHINE SHOP
metalwork tool & talk

SCULPTING
sculpture information and advice

HAIR & COSTUME
materials, patterns and technique

CASTING
foam, silicone and resin

CLAY
clay puppet construction

GENERAL PUPPET MAKING
other puppet fabrication issues

STOP MOTION SETS
set design and construction information

MODEL DEPARTMENT
miniature prop discussion

MATTE PAINTINGS
glass matte paintings and backgrounds

GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS

STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION

FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS

PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION

FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS

ANIMATION SCHOOLS

STOP MOTION BOOKS

STOP MOTION ON VIDEO

JOBS & PROJECTS
post here if you are looking for talent to hire

SWAP MEET
stop motion items for sale

CHAT BOARD
general discussion

SITE FEEDBACK
report bugs, comments and suggestions here

Latest Activity

Greyguy replied to Mark Francombe's discussion Stop Motion Stage hints?
"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqjvuxztnL8Justin Rasch has some good point in his latest video"
8 hours ago
Mark Francombe replied to Mark Francombe's discussion Stop Motion Stage hints?
"Having trouble sourcing stuff with Amazon, delivery blocked to Norway. Hers some options from…"
yesterday
Dave Cooley replied to Dave Cooley's discussion Moving water in a scene
"Thanks for the link, Simon! Interesting ideas. I am at work now on the puppets and other scenic…"
Saturday
Simon Tytherleigh replied to Dave Cooley's discussion Moving water in a scene
"Nearly missed this thread! Really interesting to see what you are doing, as I have a lake to…"
Saturday

© 2020   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}