I was wondering what happened to the Matte Painting section that used to live here. I apologize for this question, as I haven't had the time to check this page for quite some time, but my previous account seems to have been deleted and I didn't bother creating a new one until today.

The entire forum seems to have gotten a wonderful upgrade but all the old threads seem to have also disappeared. I might be navigating wrong or the old Matte Painting section with discussions about traditional Matte Painting might have been moved to somewhere else.

Can someone please advise?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Views: 1229

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It is indeed a shame that the old matte painting board could not be preserved and an upgraded path found for new software – the Whitlock section alone had an image of every shot he created. There was so much work in there it can never be repeated. I’m not really a stop motion animator but came to this board because of the matte painting section  - it was the best working discussion of the craft that ever existed. I fear we lost a lot of good documented history.

...And Craig should know better than all others as we always felt honoured to have Craig on the SMA forums, with his vast experience as matte cinematographer for both ILM and Matte World - not to mention Craig's utterly indispensible book on the subject "The Invisible Art".

Luckily I saved all (I think) the images ever posted on the matte thread, as well as printing many of those discussions on a ream of paper for later research for my MatteShot blog.

Peter

Craig Barron said:

It is indeed a shame that the old matte painting board could not be preserved and an upgraded path found for new software – the Whitlock section alone had an image of every shot he created. There was so much work in there it can never be repeated. I’m not really a stop motion animator but came to this board because of the matte painting section  - it was the best working discussion of the craft that ever existed. I fear we lost a lot of good documented history.

So, is the old forum database definitely DOA? I haven't seen anyone mention that it will never be posted here in an archive type format.

The folks from SMA are in the process of un-archiving the old message board for us. It looks tedious and will take some time but as they're doing this in their free time we should appreciate the effort and hard work: http://web.archive.org/web/20081203120926/http://www.stopmotionanim...

Unfortunately, re-linking the images seems to be the greatest issue. The complicated navigation doesn't help and I'm guessing some of the dead links might never be fully restored again, but it's a start. Let's hope this treasure chest of Matte Painting knowledge will be available again for everyone to enjoy and research.

Meanwhile, publishing company Ballistic Media has released an excerpt from the Michael Pangrazio section of their latest Matte Painting book, which most of you will find enjoyable I believe: http://www.cgsociety.org/index.php/CGSFeatures/CGSFeatureSpecial/mi...

Thank you all for your support and shared interest in this wonderful art form.

Milan

The unarchiving of the old message board is awesome news! And thanks Milan, as well as everyone else here to make this historical information available once again.  Also having Pangrazio in the book has been a huge honor.  An amazing legend of our time.

My only fear is that so many of the significant number of old contributors may have 'fled the nest' by now once SMA revamped the format and threw out all of those old matte painting discussions.

If this does get up and running again I'd be happy to promote and push people in it's re-awakened direction via my Matte Shot blog.

By the way, attached is the very Albert Whitlock matte painting that Mike Pangrazio alluded to in that all too brief CG Society link from the new Ballistic Matte Painter book...  If anyone knows the title please tell us.  All I know is that it's from a 1960's (?) tv movie.

Enjoy the master of all masters!

NZPete

Attachments:

Wow, I am really sorry to hear that some of the matte painting thread is gone. I, too, contributed time, information and photos.  I do see that efforts are being made to restore some as possible. 

I was one of the usual followers of the old message board. I recognize that now I only entered occasionally, but that’s very good news to hear about the restoration of the old archives.

Must be a hard and tedious work trying to bring all those files and pictures again to light.  Something as difficult as trying to find the ark of the covenant buried on a huge warehouse full of boxes.

It’s god to see again people like Craig, David and Peter from the old times, when the message board was so full of activity.

Peter,  thanks for that beautiful  Whitlock matte.

PD. I know that   matte painting from Raiders is extremely know and has been shown thousand of times, but is one of my favorites.

Domingo

Hey Friends, I was just looking around and rediscovered this wonderful site, which I had mistakenly thought was gone. I'm happy to see it SMA still exists and would be glad to check in and discuss traditional matte painting, miniatures and stop motion (puppet construction too). I have always enjoyed this group !  - - Rocco Gioffre

Reply to Discussion

RSS

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

STOPMO NEWBIES
basic stopmo discussion

ANIMATOR TALK
experienced animators looking to improve

CAMERA & STAGE
animation camera, lighting and moco rigs

ANIMATION TOOLS & EQUIPMENT
animation tool and rigging discussion

STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS
frame capture, editing, and post-production

STORY
script, storyboarding and storyreel discussion

SOUND
lip-sync, sound effects and music

YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT
discuss your stopmo film

ARMATURES
ball & socket and wire armature discussion

MACHINE SHOP
metalwork tool & talk

SCULPTING
sculpture information and advice

HAIR & COSTUME
materials, patterns and technique

CASTING
foam, silicone and resin

CLAY
clay puppet construction

GENERAL PUPPET MAKING
other puppet fabrication issues

STOP MOTION SETS
set design and construction information

MODEL DEPARTMENT
miniature prop discussion

MATTE PAINTINGS
glass matte paintings and backgrounds

GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS

STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION

FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS

PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION

FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS

ANIMATION SCHOOLS

STOP MOTION BOOKS

STOP MOTION ON VIDEO

JOBS & PROJECTS
post here if you are looking for talent to hire

SWAP MEET
stop motion items for sale

CHAT BOARD
general discussion

SITE FEEDBACK
report bugs, comments and suggestions here

Latest Activity

Jet Zhang posted discussions
yesterday
Jasper Kuipers replied to Iulian Demetrescu's discussion Pigment oil clay
"Hi Iulian,I have had some nice results using powdered paint pigments. The stuff that is used to…"
Sunday
StopmoNick replied to Daniel Svensson's discussion App that can remove rigs?
"I don't know what TV Paint on an Android device is like, didn't know there was one.…"
Dec 4
Eric J. Nelson posted a video

Winter Fun at the Skating Rink | Stop Motion | American Girl

Winter’s finally here! Time to lace up our skates and hit the ice. Whether you’re a figure skater or hockey player, we're all on the same team when we help e...
Dec 4

© 2019   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}