I am about to buy some mould-making equipment to start actually making moulds of my character's head for silicone. Before I do, I want to know what would be the best product, and method for making a mould of characters with rather large noses.

I was going to try Pinky-sil because there's a hard 3D printed skeleton underneath the sculpts which might not come out if I used a moulding material that hardens to much. But we'll see what you all think.

Views: 299

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have a question...

I have been using Pinkysil to make all the moulds so far. I have run out. Unfortunately, it's almost impssible to get Pinkysil over here in the States. The company that sells it, Barnes.com, seems to have very little interest in actually shipping to the United States considering that they don't even give me that option. I found another website that DOES ship to the States, but they won't take my card for some reason.

Is there any good alternative to Pinkysil I can buy? I found something called OOMOO 30, but I felt like I should ask the experts.

I use Pinkysil from Barnes Products, it's good but I wouldn't think its in any way unique.  There are more brands and types of silicone for sale in the US than here in Australia, most made there, so I can't see the value in paying for shipping costs.  There are also restricts on shipping liquids to the US. 

But anyway, I googled, and found this Twitter page from 2014 that says Pinkysil is now available in the US.

https://twitter.com/pinkysilusa?lang=en  However, when I clicked on a link to order, I got a "Site no longer available" message.  Thepinysil.com site seems to be asking for expressions of interest from wholesalers and distributors in the US, I don't know if they actually have any.

I haven't used Oomoo, should be good but I can't say from experience.

The one place in the US I've bought silicone from is The Compleat Sculptor - Sculpt.com - but that was for special fx skin casting silicone and additives that I couldn't get here, not for the more common mould making silicones.

Haven't used Oomoo, but it is designed for mouldmaking, so should be fine. It has a low viscosity so will pour, and has a 30 min working time to allow bubbles to escape. But it is a condensation cure silicone, I.e. tin-based, so if you are planning on making a platinum silicone head, it is not compatible.

Well, I bought  some Oomoo 30. It works pretty well, and isn't so different than Pinkysil. The biggest difference is that is takes a whopping six hours to cure, compared to Pinkysil's one-hour cure time. Still, it worked just fine. I had to scrap the back piece of my last mould because of depleting supplies of Pinkysil caused it to become flimsy and oily. So now my finished mould looks like an abomination of science and silicone.

... Forgive my terrible mould work. I'm still not very good at it.

Here's what it looks like on the inside. That jagged weird hole in the purple side is a makeshift hole which I put so I can pour the silicone later, and it will eventually be a neck that you won't see in the finished puppet. That big hole in the middle of the pink side is the nose hole. It's a front and back mould, and hopefully it will work.

Still, I may yet have problem with the nose. I was going to do what Nick requested and cut down the bottom of the nose in a zig-zag so I could get the nose out once time has come to make the silicone head. Any more tips and tricks you could give me to get the Silicone head to work will be greatly appreciated. And after all that, it's time to make my first head!

When you say it's a nose hole, do you mean there is a nose beyond it, or is it for fitting a separately cast nose onto? If the nose is attached then you will need to take a scalpel to the underside as Nick suggested. 

Don't apologize for the state of the mould. It's the quality of the final cast that matters!

Yeah, the nose is beyond it. I'm a little scared to cut the mould down the middle. But I suppose fortune favors the bold.

I guess now I can move on to the fun stuff, such as making the face armature and silicone. Then I might be finally able to try some stopmotion tests.

Thanks for all your help! I'll keep you posted!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

STOPMO JAM on Facebook

BLOGS

Create a Blog for your personal page. Go to My Page and click on Blog Posts. Access all Blog Posts here.

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

STOPMO NEWBIES
basic stopmo discussion

ANIMATOR TALK
experienced animators looking to improve

CAMERA & STAGE
animation camera, lighting and moco rigs

ANIMATION TOOLS & EQUIPMENT
animation tool and rigging discussion

STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS
frame capture, editing, and post-production

STORY
script, storyboarding and storyreel discussion

SOUND
lip-sync, sound effects and music

YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT
discuss your stopmo film

ARMATURES
ball & socket and wire armature discussion

MACHINE SHOP
metalwork tool & talk

SCULPTING
sculpture information and advice

HAIR & COSTUME
materials, patterns and technique

CASTING
foam, silicone and resin

CLAY
clay puppet construction

GENERAL PUPPET MAKING
other puppet fabrication issues

STOP MOTION SETS
set design and construction information

MODEL DEPARTMENT
miniature prop discussion

MATTE PAINTINGS
glass matte paintings and backgrounds

GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS

STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION

FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS

PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION

FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS

ANIMATION SCHOOLS

STOP MOTION BOOKS

STOP MOTION ON VIDEO

JOBS & PROJECTS
post here if you are looking for talent to hire

SWAP MEET
stop motion items for sale

CHAT BOARD
general discussion

SITE FEEDBACK
report bugs, comments and suggestions here

SPAM ALERT!

StopMotionAnimation.com has been hit hard by spammers lately. They have been creating several fake accounts every day, contacting and harassing members and posting suspicious content. If you see anything suspicious, don't click on any links, instead, send me their User Name. I will suspend them. 

Questions & Feedback
Report Spam or Abuse

© 2017   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}