I am fairly new to the stop motion model making and want to be an animator as a professional career. I have wanted to make a puppet for a long time now, the past experiments used wire and foam. Now that I have liquid latex I am thinking of making a puppet of a gorilla to star in a King Kong movie. The plan is to make the armature out of strong wire with wooden blocks for the head, hands and feet. The armature will be held together with epoxy putty and then muscles created using foam rubber. Over this then I will apply many coats of liquid latex. The face will be sculpted with epoxy. Don't know about the fur though.

Sound like a plan?

The two images show the sculpts of the face and chest plate.

Views: 2711

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

After building stop-motion models for years, I recently discovered contact cement. This should be readily available at any office supply store. Some grocery stores even carry it. Just apply it to each piece of foam to be joined. Allow the glue to dry and then stick the two pieces together. Rubber cement is another alternative. It's similar to contact cement but not as strong.

Here is my version of Kong, circa 1985. I used crepe hair for the fur and wooden beads for the eyes. This was sculpted in clay and cast in foam. Wire armature. Looked a lot better back in the day, lol.

Attachments:

That looks great! Was he in any films?

Wallace Jones said:

Here is my version of Kong, circa 1985. I used crepe hair for the fur and wooden beads for the eyes. This was sculpted in clay and cast in foam. Wire armature. Looked a lot better back in the day, lol.

Well more Milliput. Possibly make another resident for Skull Island, maybe a T-Rex and a sea serpent.

Attachments:

Thanks.

Yes, he was in a Super-8 short called "Kongs Final Challenge". It was my attempt to re-create the end of Kong atop the Empire State Bldg. The film survives. I need to digitize it and post it on YouTube.

Angus Lamont said:

Wallace Jones said:

Please do! I am thinking myself of recreating the Empire State Building Scene as an opening for my film. Just now though I am in the process of building a Pteranadon.

Wallace Jones said:

Thanks.

Yes, he was in a Super-8 short called "Kongs Final Challenge". It was my attempt to re-create the end of Kong atop the Empire State Bldg. The film survives. I need to digitize it and post it on YouTube.

Angus Lamont said:

Wallace Jones said:

Kong was so bulky (I coated it in latex & then added fur-big mistake so take heed) that I had to cut into the foam at the joints, just so he would move. About the only thing I got right was the top of the Empire State Bldg. It was cardboard covered in tin foil with a short piece of wooden dowel on top. Contrary to the description, it looked pretty good. I will try to get that footage posted soon. 

Angus Lamont said:

Please do! I am thinking myself of recreating the Empire State Building Scene as an opening for my film. Just now though I am in the process of building a Pteranadon.

Wallace Jones said:

Thanks.

Angus Lamont said:

Wallace Jones said:

I can't wait to see the 1985 film.

Hey Wallace,Cool puppet. I made an  8mm film in 1972 with my Bell and Howell Sundial camera. It had the single frame feature. Back then I had no idea how to build a puppet. So I used the old Aurora Prehistoric Scenes dinos. I wanted to do a Kong scene so I used a King Kong toy figure based on a cartoon that was out at the time. It had moveable arms. I used the body of the toy but used the head from the Aurora monster model Kong. lol I shot a scene where guys get shaken off a log. I have to transfer it to digital.

Thanks Rick. I have one of those Bell and Howell Sundial cameras, still works! My cousin had all of those Aurora Prehistoric Scenes. He used to let me borrow them to make plaster molds. He got them back most of the time, a little worse for wear, lol. I would then cast foam rubber pieces from those molds to make stop-motion versions. I remember doing the cave bear and the allosaurus this way. There was also a mountain gorilla that had a jaw that opened and closed when you turned the head. Your film sounds interesting, hope you get it transfered soon. 

LOL

That puppet is really scary, good job. Would love to see the film when you digitize it and put it on youtube,

Wallace Jones said:

I tried to digitize the footage myself last week. Got everything set up, then the projector bulb went out. As soon as I can get a replacement bulb, I will try again. Looking at the model now, it looks more like the Toho Kong than Kong 1933.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

STOPMO NEWBIES
basic stopmo discussion

ANIMATOR TALK
experienced animators looking to improve

CAMERA & STAGE
animation camera, lighting and moco rigs

ANIMATION TOOLS & EQUIPMENT
animation tool and rigging discussion

STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS
frame capture, editing, and post-production

STORY
script, storyboarding and storyreel discussion

SOUND
lip-sync, sound effects and music

YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT
discuss your stopmo film

ARMATURES
ball & socket and wire armature discussion

MACHINE SHOP
metalwork tool & talk

SCULPTING
sculpture information and advice

HAIR & COSTUME
materials, patterns and technique

CASTING
foam, silicone and resin

CLAY
clay puppet construction

GENERAL PUPPET MAKING
other puppet fabrication issues

STOP MOTION SETS
set design and construction information

MODEL DEPARTMENT
miniature prop discussion

MATTE PAINTINGS
glass matte paintings and backgrounds

GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS

STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION

FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS

PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION

FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS

ANIMATION SCHOOLS

STOP MOTION BOOKS

STOP MOTION ON VIDEO

JOBS & PROJECTS
post here if you are looking for talent to hire

SWAP MEET
stop motion items for sale

CHAT BOARD
general discussion

SITE FEEDBACK
report bugs, comments and suggestions here

Latest Activity

Count Croc replied to A film by Adam Ciolfi's discussion FILTH - a film by Adam Ciolfi
"Cool! This reminds me of Phil Tippett's Mad God except you actually know what's going on."
yesterday
A film by Adam Ciolfi posted a discussion
Saturday
limouzin updated their profile
Friday
Youp Zondag replied to Count Croc's discussion Backgrounds
"Hey, As I was perusing the site and saw your question, I thought I'd get Nick (my camera guy)…"
Friday

© 2019   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}