Its been some time but I'm back. I was just learning how to weld in my sculpture class and I was wondering about making a ball and socket armature with welding. The main question I have is would I still need to drill a hole into the ball bearing to fit the rod (they do have a drill press at the school) or can I just flat out weld the rod onto the bearing?

Views: 886

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It would not be easy, but it is possible. If you want to weld balls to rods, I'd recommend a TIG welder. It can weld more delicately than MIG. You can also use silver solder. Silver solder is not as straight-forward a technique as lead solder, but it's a lot stronger.

it depends.

how big an armature we talking here? arc rod and tig wire is very thick so it would be messy with lots of cleanup. 

if its like a 1 meter tall armature the it might have some merit. maybe even better than brazing/soldering.

Sorry for the late response, but I have finished a mock up of a ball and socket armature (it isn't ready for animation) by welding during school. I would possibly need a drill press and solid carbide bits to drill holes into the solid steel balls.

EL agujero en la bola es muy importante para soportar los movimientos de flexión del resto de la armadura.

Héctor Manuel Gualterio said:

EL agujero en la bola es muy importante para soportar los movimientos de flexión del resto de la armadura.

Eso es lo que pensé

Silver is the way to go, regardless of size (well, if it's the size of a car, weld away).  The silver solder, when properly prepped and fluxed, will wick though the whole joint in a way welding cannot.  It is incredible strong result that will leave a far better finish.  There is also no issue with inclusions or cold spots; you can see a well flowed solder joint clearly and avoid surprises down the road.  If the ball gets damaged, you can re-wet the silver and change it out rather easily.  I have seen a lot of posts discussing the difficulties of silver soldering and all kinds of alternatives, but none of them measure up in my opinion, and when prepped properly (clean!), and having an understanding of the relative parts mass and equal heating, I find silver soldering quite easy.  Relaxing even...

Trikfx

Por supuesto que la soldadura de plata es el mejor camino a seguir para fijar los componentes de la armadura, pero no se puede soldar un rodamiento a una varilla sin haberlos preparado primero. Por mejor soldadura que se haya efectuado se desprenderán entre sí. Primero hay que destemplar y perforar el rodamiento, mientras que a la varilla hay que llevarla a la medida del agujero del rodamiento y hacerle un pequeño rebaje para que se acumule el fundente y la soldadura de plata se fije mejor entre ambas piezas luego de haberse enfriado. Suerte.

Yes, thats how I was initially taught as well; to leave the rod a tiny bit shy of going all the way through the ball to leave a pocket to hold the flux and initial pool of silver; although I have learned other approches since... Oh, and as to the question of if you could simply weld the ball to the end of the rod, I don't believe the local hardening that would occur at the weld, combined with the leveraged stress put on the joint in normal use would lead to a happy result...

Trikfx

Reply to Discussion

RSS

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

STOPMO NEWBIES
basic stopmo discussion

ANIMATOR TALK
experienced animators looking to improve

CAMERA & STAGE
animation camera, lighting and moco rigs

ANIMATION TOOLS & EQUIPMENT
animation tool and rigging discussion

STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS
frame capture, editing, and post-production

STORY
script, storyboarding and storyreel discussion

SOUND
lip-sync, sound effects and music

YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT
discuss your stopmo film

ARMATURES
ball & socket and wire armature discussion

MACHINE SHOP
metalwork tool & talk

SCULPTING
sculpture information and advice

HAIR & COSTUME
materials, patterns and technique

CASTING
foam, silicone and resin

CLAY
clay puppet construction

GENERAL PUPPET MAKING
other puppet fabrication issues

STOP MOTION SETS
set design and construction information

MODEL DEPARTMENT
miniature prop discussion

MATTE PAINTINGS
glass matte paintings and backgrounds

GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS

STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION

FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS

PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION

FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS

ANIMATION SCHOOLS

STOP MOTION BOOKS

STOP MOTION ON VIDEO

JOBS & PROJECTS
post here if you are looking for talent to hire

SWAP MEET
stop motion items for sale

CHAT BOARD
general discussion

SITE FEEDBACK
report bugs, comments and suggestions here

Latest Activity

Greyguy replied to Mark Francombe's discussion Stop Motion Stage hints?
"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqjvuxztnL8Justin Rasch has some good point in his latest video"
8 hours ago
Mark Francombe replied to Mark Francombe's discussion Stop Motion Stage hints?
"Having trouble sourcing stuff with Amazon, delivery blocked to Norway. Hers some options from…"
yesterday
Dave Cooley replied to Dave Cooley's discussion Moving water in a scene
"Thanks for the link, Simon! Interesting ideas. I am at work now on the puppets and other scenic…"
Saturday
Simon Tytherleigh replied to Dave Cooley's discussion Moving water in a scene
"Nearly missed this thread! Really interesting to see what you are doing, as I have a lake to…"
Saturday

© 2020   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}