hey folks,

I've been teaching myself some stop motion with random objects and things for a bit and I'm starting to try and make some 'build up' puppets to mess around with, mostly based on stopmo nicks amazing tutorials.  I guess this is partly for him directly but also for anyone who has advice.

it's coming along wonderfully, actually much better than I expected but I'm stuck at the beginning of painting latex.  (i did aluminum armature, epoxy putty for strength and tie downs, then eurethane foam and cutting with spray glue and such). I was so eager to keep going with my materials that I mixed some latex and started doing layers.  I got a gallon at the Home Depot (hardware store), of all they had mixed with a little ammonia and pigment and started doing layers.  After about 1000 layers it just isn't building up and sittting on top.  It's too thin, I thought maybe I mixed it wrong but I think what I got just isn't right. I think this stuff is made for mixing with concrete for bonding or something, it's something to do with flooring.

Anyway, my dumb ass got pretty far with the creative building part but I'm stuck on materials for now. I need a good recomendation for liquid latex for 'build up' like in that amazing tutorial (I'm in the US).  I see this stuff at blick which is closest to me and wonder if that will work, or if I should wait and order something online like this or if I need something completely differnt than those.  i.e. I'm looking for good techniques to buildup over my foam using latex and paint to get closer to my final puppet.  Any help would be appreciated, folks.
cheers,
REN

oh and when I feel less embarrassed about my newbie puppet I'll post some pics. it's just a naked headless fat person right now with no skin.

Views: 4525

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The hardware store? Uh-ohh!! I'm afraid you got latex house paint, not actually liquid latex rubber!! The house paint does have some latex in it for flexibility, but it's a paint with a little added latex, not a liquid that cures as rubber. 

You need to go to hobby shops, ones that sell model trains are good, or art supply places and ask for liquid latex, It comes in small jars usually and it smells strongly of ammonia. It will have a name like Mold Builder Latex or Mold Maker Rubber. 

Hey I'm in the same boat as you, man. I just started with stop motion, and followed Nick's build up video. I used cinema secret flesh latex when it came time to make the skin. Here's how my first puppet came out using this latex:Good luck dude! Show me that puppet!

I just noticed your links to the rubbers - somehow I missed that the first time! Both of those will work nicely. You don't need a big jar, a quart or less will last through many puppets. Get the smallest size you can find. 

However, the mold builder type latexes (like both of those) have a lot of extra filler in them to thicken them up so you can put them on objects and make a mold (so it won't all drip off the sides). That filler makes the finished rubber stiff and less flexible. If you're going to buy online you should instead get this: http://www.monstermakers.com/product/latex-paint-base.html

It's sold as a latex paint base (to mix colors into for making paint for masks), but really all it is is liquid latex, and it doesn't have as much filler in it (apparently all liquid latex has SOME filler). I've used it and I've also used the mold maker stuff and I can tell you the difference is night and day! The Monstermakers stuff is far more flexible and streeeetchy! And also much stronger (because it's flexible). 

Cool, thanks for the tips people, perfect.

I think I'll get some nearby first even if it's a little thick.  Is it bad form to thin it at all? 

It's definitely not paint, what I got. it's latex, it's just really thin, I thought maybe I put too much ammonia in it or something but I just need to get something made for this, I guess.  I'll post a pic of what I got now so you can see.  See, Clearly it's very foamy, the latex stuff just soaks right in since it's basically a sponge, nothing actually sits on top of it and dries there.  I think what I got was this (it's at studio, not with me now).  I'll get some thicker stuff and then order something better later. thanks again for the great tips, I'll post something when I'm further along.

Ok, I see..

"The Leinweber's 1-Gallon Liquid Latex is for use as a strengthening and bonding additive for interior and exterior concrete and grout mixes"

Yeah, it's probably formulated too thin to create a surface skin over the foam. Well, the mold making stuff will definitely work! 

Hello!... I'm on the same page... I just found that some Halloween stores or (party city) store witch I have local sells liquid latex build up for mask and fake skin. I think that be perfect

Reply to Discussion

RSS

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

STOPMO NEWBIES
basic stopmo discussion

ANIMATOR TALK
experienced animators looking to improve

CAMERA & STAGE
animation camera, lighting and moco rigs

ANIMATION TOOLS & EQUIPMENT
animation tool and rigging discussion

STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS
frame capture, editing, and post-production

STORY
script, storyboarding and storyreel discussion

SOUND
lip-sync, sound effects and music

YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT
discuss your stopmo film

ARMATURES
ball & socket and wire armature discussion

MACHINE SHOP
metalwork tool & talk

SCULPTING
sculpture information and advice

HAIR & COSTUME
materials, patterns and technique

CASTING
foam, silicone and resin

CLAY
clay puppet construction

GENERAL PUPPET MAKING
other puppet fabrication issues

STOP MOTION SETS
set design and construction information

MODEL DEPARTMENT
miniature prop discussion

MATTE PAINTINGS
glass matte paintings and backgrounds

GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS

STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION

FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS

PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION

FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS

ANIMATION SCHOOLS

STOP MOTION BOOKS

STOP MOTION ON VIDEO

JOBS & PROJECTS
post here if you are looking for talent to hire

SWAP MEET
stop motion items for sale

CHAT BOARD
general discussion

SITE FEEDBACK
report bugs, comments and suggestions here

Latest Activity

Maureen Z replied to John Horabin's discussion Trailer for our latest independent film: Jolly Girl
"This looks great! I'll have to keep my eye for it. Are those replacement mouths or clay that…"
16 hours ago
Devin Pingree replied to Devin Pingree's discussion Tie downs (magnets)
"Thanks. I'll look into those suggestions."
yesterday
GameYan Studio posted a video

Montilla Cartoon Character Rigging Animation in Maya Modeling Tutorial Video For Short CGI Film

Montilla - Cartoon Characters Reimagined As Realistic 3D Animation 3D Character Development - Modelling, Animation, Texturing, Rigging, Simulation, Lipsync, ...
Saturday
Simon Tytherleigh replied to Simon Tytherleigh's discussion Time-lapse BTS shots
"Yes, the Boxtrolls was brilliant - the 'unseen hand' and all that existential musing.…"
Friday

© 2019   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}