Hey everyone,just seeing what's been hapening lately.I've been busy with lots of ups and downs.Anyway, like I stated above, "I'm jumping on the band wagon".I acquired an engine lathe,a 1947 Logan,small bench top model.Its has some wear and tear and it was used extensively,but it will still be useful for small turning operations.It needs some TLC,that's for sure.Anyway,I'm a ways from getting this thing in working order.I need to get a 220 hookup,not sure if it needs a phase converter or not plus all the tooling.I'll be turning metal and making chips hopefully in a couple of  months.Acquiring a mill will have to wait, but when I'm up and running I'll be happy to help others out with machining parts which would have to be discussed seperately and in the future.Well,that's all for now,I hope everyone is doing well.

Views: 184

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I looked everywhere for older used lathes but all I found were huge things that needed a fork lift to move them, and still costing several thousand dollars. To get something small that I could find space for, I had to settle for a Chinese-made Sieg C3 in the end - new but not built to the same standards as the old machinery. It works well enough for the small metal parts I need to turn, and I also made an improvised chisel rest so I can use it for wood. I like the look of yours, hope it works out for you.

Hey Nick!Well,I got lucky in a sense getting this one.This lathe belonged to an old neighbor of my grandparents who is no longer around. He was a machinist in the Navy during WWII,and I guess he stuck with it afterward?He did allot of automotive projects,turning brake drumbs,borring out acarburators and lots of other small project stuff.So,this little lathe got some heavy use,it has a fair amount of back lash in the cross slide and compound rest,about .020,but not horrible(I've seen and used worse).I wasn't able to turn it on(would have liked to),someone removed the wiring into the 220 outlet,but I'm pretty sure it will work,and work well.Some parts are still made for this old lathe.I don't remember who bought the rights to it,and some other company makes the belt for the step pulley I think?Yeah,its hard finding a good lathe,EVIL BAY has them,but often you are torn between paying allot of $$$ + the freight or settling for the one that needs a fork lift to move it and takes up your entire shop area.I highly reccomend that you don't invest in Chinese machinery.They might get the job done as others have put it,but like you said,the manufacturing and building standards of CVhina are not up to par.In the end you are getting an inferrior machine.Old machines might be old,but you are getting a better piece of equipment-solid,sturdy castings,real work horses. There are some small South Bends out there and other smaller tool room lathes,and lots of other machines of which some are no longer made,or were bought out and merged with larger companies like Cincinatti,Clausing,Hardinge and Bridgeport. If you like,maybe try the Practical Machinist web site,but I'm not sure if you are going to find much in OZ.There might be something more local for you,but I don't know who they might be?

I have a Logan as well; very fond of it.  If the motor turns out to be 3Ø, you might consider swapping the motor for a 110/208 one.  You can use the same 3Ø switch to wire forward/reverse; not as sexy, torquey and instant reversey as a 3Ø motor, but it works fine.  Cheaper and more dependable route then a converter in my humble opinion...

Best,

Ted

Oh, and if you need parts;

http://www.lathe.com/partsfor.htm

Best,

Ted

Thanks for the link Ted.I hope I don't have to buy too much aside from a belt.Its been years since this little lathe has been turned on and used,so I'm hoping the down time hasn't affected it.I'm not fond of single post tool holders,so I'll be upgrading to a quick change tool post.I don't know off the top of my head what taper the tail stock uses?Be nice to have a jacobs chuck too,I can't find one and i thought it had one.Whatever it might be,it looks small.The live center is still in the tail stock and it is tiny.I have to get a good set of twist drills,number and letter drills taps and dies,reamers and maybe some small borring bars and tool blanks.I figure I'm in for about $500-$600 in tooling.What model is your logan by the way?I think mine is an 821?

Mine is a model 1875H; it has a regular tailstock and a full size six position turret and a collet closer.  I got it way back when in 1993 from an old Oxberry Camera tech I knew from film school.  The lathe came with all its accessories; tailstocks, chucks, collets, as well as a couple of milk crates of tooling and Walker-Turner floor drill press.  All for $700.00.  Still pretty happy about it...

I would be too!That's a great deal.I thought that mine had more tooling.I'll have to ask and search around for it.You don't know what taper the tail stock  takes by chance do you?Well...it might be different from yours,but I thought they might take the same kind.If Logan was really different,they might have made their "own taper" and you can't use anything but Logan tooling on their machines,which might make things difficult.I'd like to get my hands on an independent 4-jaw chuck if they made one(I'm almost 100% sure they did),not to mention a draw bar and spring collets which would be as good(if not better) than a 4-jaw chuck.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

STOPMO NEWBIES
basic stopmo discussion

ANIMATOR TALK
experienced animators looking to improve

CAMERA & STAGE
animation camera, lighting and moco rigs

ANIMATION TOOLS & EQUIPMENT
animation tool and rigging discussion

STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS
frame capture, editing, and post-production

STORY
script, storyboarding and storyreel discussion

SOUND
lip-sync, sound effects and music

YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT
discuss your stopmo film

ARMATURES
ball & socket and wire armature discussion

MACHINE SHOP
metalwork tool & talk

SCULPTING
sculpture information and advice

HAIR & COSTUME
materials, patterns and technique

CASTING
foam, silicone and resin

CLAY
clay puppet construction

GENERAL PUPPET MAKING
other puppet fabrication issues

STOP MOTION SETS
set design and construction information

MODEL DEPARTMENT
miniature prop discussion

MATTE PAINTINGS
glass matte paintings and backgrounds

GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS

STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION

FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS

PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION

FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS

ANIMATION SCHOOLS

STOP MOTION BOOKS

STOP MOTION ON VIDEO

JOBS & PROJECTS
post here if you are looking for talent to hire

SWAP MEET
stop motion items for sale

CHAT BOARD
general discussion

SITE FEEDBACK
report bugs, comments and suggestions here

Latest Activity

Mozen posted a discussion
8 hours ago
Ethan Bartholomae replied to Matthew Bradley's discussion Silicone painting with 'Tinsil Gel 10'.
"If you do search out silicone caulk to use be careful of the type that you get, there's…"
23 hours ago
Simon Tytherleigh posted a discussion

Testing the 3D printable winders

Here is a quick video I made to compare two winders, one with an all-metal rack and the other which…See More
yesterday
StopmoNick replied to Matthew Bradley's discussion Silicone painting with 'Tinsil Gel 10'.
"The main advantage of tin silicone is that (I believe) it can be cast over latex.  So you can…"
yesterday

© 2020   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}