Here is a list of known issues and problems with the new site.  Please add to this list if you find more.

Message Board:  No emoticons.  Renamed Forum to Message Board on top tab but can't figure out how to change it on right sidebar, still reads as Forum.

Uploaded movies: uploaded videos don't appear on the iPad, or in Chrome browsers.  Just a black empty space. 

Photos:  slideshow doesn't work on iPad (Flash?)  Just a black empty space instead

Facebook:  integration is spotty.  sometimes the post will appear on FB, sometimes when clicking on the link the following message will appear on FB:

Sorry

The link you are trying to visit has been reported as abusive by Facebook users. To learn more about staying safe on the internet, visit Facebook's Security Page. Please also read the Wikipedia articles on malware and phishing.

This matter will be resolved eventually, it just might take awhile to get it working correctly. I received this response from the HELP Dept today:

Sorry to hear you're encountering difficulty here. There is actually currently an issue with sharing content to Facebook where Facebook is blocking our links as spam. Please rest assured that our Policy and Safety team is working on contacting Facebook in order to resolve this issue. I'm not sure what is involved in order to clear this up, but we will do our best to get things working properly again. Thanks for your patience as we look into resolving this issue. 

Views: 1405

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ahh, ok thanks Mike. It looks like it does work!

Wonderful, and thank you.  I had posted another response to this on another thread, it has some information on why search engines cannot search the forums which you might find useful.

Anthony Scott said:

I will work on getting the files to you this week.  Thanks Martin.  I know many people will appreciate it.

Great looking new site. I have to get used to it I think, there seems to be a lot coming from everywhere now. :) But seems like it has some interesting features and functions!
I see that there are many discussions and conerns already about the keeping of the posts in the old forum.
I just wanted to add to that that I am still using the search function there a lot, and it's true that there is less valuable info as well, but it's often really worth digging through old threads, which sometimes links up to other threads as well which I otherwise maybe wouldnt have found, and altogether I finally often gather a lot of useful information. It would be difficult I think to make a really good selection of the entire forum content without loosing a lot of valuable stuff...
I'm not the sort of IT technical person I'm afraid though who would know about a practical solution for that...

Roos,

Good to see you on the new site.  Regarding digging out information which is buried in threads, and possibly information which is either tangential to, or off of, the subject of the thread which is useful, it is possible to have a computer program catalog every word in a file (in this case the old site's forum threads) and make a non-duplicate list of them.  Then one runs a search and delete program to get rid of words like prepositions, connectors, etc.  What is left are mostly nouns and verbs, or "high-interest" words.  Using that selected list the database of threads is again scanned, looking for the list and what are called "statistically significant" words and phrases, and the surrounding words, or the entire response, is saved.  Although not perfect, it in theory should save most of the meat of useful threads, and get rid of non-relevant replies, like "Good job!" etc.

After cleaning the data, like-themed responses can be grouped together, and/or a database management system with user-friendly search functions can be built, giving even non-technical (in information sciences) people easy access to the information, sorted and displayed in the format most useful to them.  The resulting database would be best kept on the SMA server, and have access through the website.

I tried to google if you can transfer DCforum posts to Ning. But no such luck. It seems like what they do is charge you for helping you instead of it being open source. So it's not something people have posted on the net. I guess that you'd face the problem of having two hosts, but you could always embed the old forums into this site and just lock everything. I was thinking that there is one thread of old matte paintings for example where there's lots of images. That stuff will be gone forever most likely unless it's re-uploaded. Also a lot of Primeval posts that aren't talked about as much, or by Chris Endicott who posts only once in a while. Just as an example when I updated my site I did that with my news.You can see the old archive here: http://www.animateclay.com/index.php/old-site-archive

I wonder if there is any way to just turn off the slideshow on the right side of the page.  It is incredibly distracting when watching a video, or even just reading posts.  While I appreciate the intent, time, money and effort to upgrade the website, and that there are some things like the ability to view it on your mobile phone (something I never really understood the rationale for) sometimes less really IS more.  One thing I enjoyed about the old site was that it had an almost Zen-like simplicity, and allowed one to concentrate on what one was reading or viewing.  I find the new site seems like it is throwing incessant, and unnecessary amounts of information at the viewer.  That might be great for a social networking site, but I the reason I love SMA is the great information I can find on its forums, which I cannot get anywhere else.

I have a feeling I will be visiting the new site much less than I did the old.

Sigh.

Hi Martin, I saw your message and looked into it.  I agree it is distracting.  Slideshow is the default.  I changed it to only show a few still images.  I'll try that for awhile and see how I like it.

You are very kind, Anthony.  I know you are "busier than a one-legged hurtler" and appreciate your commitment to the site and its users.

A little off-topic, if you will have problems with hosting the dbms I am working on for the old site threads, I would be glad to set up a site to host it.  It could be accessed through a link on the new site.  I am very excited about not only preserving the incredible knowledge on the old site threads, but also makings it more accessible and useful to the members.  Please see my remarks on ideas to make some money from publishing an ebook with the information.  I am sure some extra cash would be welcome to offset the expenses of the site, and I am sure all would agree with me that you richly deserve any financial compensation which might be able to be made.  For my part, just having the information in a format which makes it more useful is sufficient reward.  All my work on the project would be gratis.

Anthony

Love the new look so far ... though I admit I'm just getting my feet wet on it. 

I did notice on one of the forums that an embedded video link showed up more than once due to a reply.  I wonder if that is a one time oops, or something that we will need to watch out for.

..jbd

Hi Martin. I appreciate your concern and your interest in preserving the old board. I've started a thread over at the old place dedicated to this very topic.
http://www.stopmotionanimation.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&...

MartindeMadrid said:

You are very kind, Anthony.  I know you are "busier than a one-legged hurtler" and appreciate your commitment to the site and its users.

A little off-topic, if you will have problems with hosting the dbms I am working on for the old site threads, I would be glad to set up a site to host it.  It could be accessed through a link on the new site.  I am very excited about not only preserving the incredible knowledge on the old site threads, but also makings it more accessible and useful to the members.  Please see my remarks on ideas to make some money from publishing an ebook with the information.  I am sure some extra cash would be welcome to offset the expenses of the site, and I am sure all would agree with me that you richly deserve any financial compensation which might be able to be made.  For my part, just having the information in a format which makes it more useful is sufficient reward.  All my work on the project would be gratis.

MartindeMadrid said:

I wonder if there is any way to just turn off the slideshow on the right side of the page.  It is incredibly distracting when watching a video

Hey Martin, 2 things that should help -
First I like to enlarge the site. On a Mac you do that by clicking the Command key and the + (plus sign) at the same time. Makes text much easier to read, enlarges pictures and videos - it simply makes the entire site bigger. You can click it several times and make it as big as you want (even to the point of pushing the right sidebar right off the edge if you want).

And when watching videos, click first on the little YouTube logo down in the lower right corner of the embedded video. That will take you through to YouTube where you can see the video fullscreen - no more distractions!

I'm working my way through the threads, trying to stop it sending me an email about every single post...

Looks like, when it says "stop following, don't email me" that means it will email me.  Click on it and it changes to "Follow - Email me when people reply" which means it won't email me.  I hope.  I'd rather tick a box next to Don't Email or Email Me and then I could see what is ticked... but this is the sort of thing that you only have to do once, then it's sorted and you can forget about it.

While typing this I found I can select a word and click on italic or bold, or even underscore, which is good!  I believe that could be done on the old site by adding some code, which meant it was forever out of  reach of my feeble luddite brain.  It's hard to work up a decent rant without these ways of giving emphasis. It's still missing  large size type, and colours - but maybe that's for the best.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

STOPMO NEWBIES
basic stopmo discussion

ANIMATOR TALK
experienced animators looking to improve

CAMERA & STAGE
animation camera, lighting and moco rigs

ANIMATION TOOLS & EQUIPMENT
animation tool and rigging discussion

STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS
frame capture, editing, and post-production

STORY
script, storyboarding and storyreel discussion

SOUND
lip-sync, sound effects and music

YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT
discuss your stopmo film

ARMATURES
ball & socket and wire armature discussion

MACHINE SHOP
metalwork tool & talk

SCULPTING
sculpture information and advice

HAIR & COSTUME
materials, patterns and technique

CASTING
foam, silicone and resin

CLAY
clay puppet construction

GENERAL PUPPET MAKING
other puppet fabrication issues

STOP MOTION SETS
set design and construction information

MODEL DEPARTMENT
miniature prop discussion

MATTE PAINTINGS
glass matte paintings and backgrounds

GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS

STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION

FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS

PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION

FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS

ANIMATION SCHOOLS

STOP MOTION BOOKS

STOP MOTION ON VIDEO

JOBS & PROJECTS
post here if you are looking for talent to hire

SWAP MEET
stop motion items for sale

CHAT BOARD
general discussion

SITE FEEDBACK
report bugs, comments and suggestions here

Latest Activity

Jasper Kuipers replied to Iulian Demetrescu's discussion Pigment oil clay
"Hi Iulian,I have had some nice results using powdered paint pigments. The stuff that is used to…"
Sunday
StopmoNick replied to Daniel Svensson's discussion App that can remove rigs?
"I don't know what TV Paint on an Android device is like, didn't know there was one.…"
Dec 4
Eric J. Nelson posted a video

Winter Fun at the Skating Rink | Stop Motion | American Girl

Winter’s finally here! Time to lace up our skates and hit the ice. Whether you’re a figure skater or hockey player, we're all on the same team when we help e...
Dec 4
Rob Nugen replied to Anthony Scott's discussion Please Introduce Yourself
"Welcome to the community!  I look forward to seeing some of your work.  :-)"
Dec 3

© 2019   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}