Here is a list of known issues and problems with the new site.  Please add to this list if you find more.

Message Board:  No emoticons.  Renamed Forum to Message Board on top tab but can't figure out how to change it on right sidebar, still reads as Forum.

Uploaded movies: uploaded videos don't appear on the iPad, or in Chrome browsers.  Just a black empty space. 

Photos:  slideshow doesn't work on iPad (Flash?)  Just a black empty space instead

Facebook:  integration is spotty.  sometimes the post will appear on FB, sometimes when clicking on the link the following message will appear on FB:

Sorry

The link you are trying to visit has been reported as abusive by Facebook users. To learn more about staying safe on the internet, visit Facebook's Security Page. Please also read the Wikipedia articles on malware and phishing.

This matter will be resolved eventually, it just might take awhile to get it working correctly. I received this response from the HELP Dept today:

Sorry to hear you're encountering difficulty here. There is actually currently an issue with sharing content to Facebook where Facebook is blocking our links as spam. Please rest assured that our Policy and Safety team is working on contacting Facebook in order to resolve this issue. I'm not sure what is involved in order to clear this up, but we will do our best to get things working properly again. Thanks for your patience as we look into resolving this issue. 

Views: 1395

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

And just in case there is any question on it me offering to help was and is free of charge. And that goes beyond the old forums as well when I can.

Not to worry.  We are on the same page, and I appreciate the information, you make some excellent points, especially about the signal-to-noise-ratio issue.  It is why I also stated that, in the end, it will probably need a human to wade in and make evaluations of the different categories of content intermixed in the threads.  Unfortunate, but still all too true.  Also the issue of the judgements made in doing that, although if a category matrix could be developed, I think the majority of that objection might be successfully met, and, as you say, would be ". . .close enough." 

On the up-side, I did a test of Web Information Extractor on the site and it seemed to be up to the task, extracting the threads much better than WinXTTrack, although that might be because I did not specify the filters as well in the latter.

Although I know HTML-familiar programmers will already know this, here are the ROBOTS commands which need to be enabled in the MetaTags section to allow indexing by search engines (and geeks like me!):

ROBOTS <META NAME="ROBOTS" CONTENT="ALL">

<META NAME="ROBOTS" CONTENT="INDEX,NOFOLLOW">

<META NAME="ROBOTS" CONTENT="NOINDEX,FOLLOW">

<META NAME="ROBOTS" CONTENT="NONE">
CONTENT="ALL | NONE | NOINDEX | INDEX| NOFOLLOW | FOLLOW | NOARCHIVE"
default = empty = "ALL"
"NONE" = "NOINDEX, NOFOLLOW"

The CONTENT field is a comma separated list:
INDEX: search engine robots should include this page.
FOLLOW: robots should follow links from this page to other pages.
NOINDEX: links can be explored, although the page is not indexed.
NOFOLLOW: the page can be indexed, but no links are explored.
NONE: robots can ignore the page.
NOARCHIVE: Google uses this to prevent archiving of the page. See http://www.google.com/bot.html

GOOGLEBOT <META NAME="GOOGLEBOT" CONTENT="NOARCHIVE"> In addition to the ROBOTS META Command above, Google supports a GOOGLEBOT command. With it, you can tell Google that you do not want the page archived, but allow other search engines to do so. If you specify this command, Google will not save the page and the page will be unavailable via its cache.
See Google's FAQ.

Accessed 10JUL2012 from:

http://www.i18nguy.com/markup/metatags.html#robo

The problems with indexing alluded to in an earlier post might be because of the CONTENT switch being set to "NONE" or  "NOINDEX"(see table above).

Shea Street said:

Just to add MartindeMadrid I am actually on your side of your point of view if I happen to come across differently than what I am trying to express.

It is not just the meta tags it is also if there is a robot.txt file that has things set for allow or deny.

If I recollect correctly, I believe I had the robot.txt modified to keep out the search engine robots out due to the increasing charges on the SQL server since they charge by usage.  I really can't recall when this happened to be honest, but it must have been awhile ago.  It would make sense to me, that at the time, I figured that using the site's Advanced Search would be enough and keep the costs down.  So potentially this mystery has been solved.  Right now Paul has all the files and is working on restoring them.  They are also still online at the old server, inaccessible except thru FTP.  They will remain there until Paul has successfully restored the Message Board on his end.

To add to searchability of a site, in context to say google, the current one has it's own issues unless ning has some other things going on. Right now without looking in to it more this site is what is considered "deep web". Since it requires one to have an account and log in to view anything other than what is on the main page a search bot can never index anything other than what shows up on the front page. As for Paul's work make sure that things like file attachments are not just data blobs in the database and to get those files as well if they are just saved in a directory otherwise all you will have is text..

If the site search works well enough, I don't understand why Google needs to index the site.

It has more to do with bringing new people to the site when they are looking for information vs. the people that already know the site and search on the site itself. If someone new to the art does not know the haunts and hangouts the search on the site does them no good if they never get to the site.

That is a good point.  Good thing this site comes up first on Google when searching Stop Motion Animation.

Hey Anthony - I notice the section on choosing a camera for stopmotion didn't get posted on this site. Here's a link to it on Archive.org if that helps: Link

Thanks Strider, I should have the html file, I'll add it in.

The page is back up.  I had pulled it since I felt it needed to be updated.  If you'd like to revise it, please let me know.

Just a follow up on something discussed here earlier... for the first time, today I clicked on the little icon in my bookmarks bar and it took me directly to the message board without any need for me to sign in at all. YAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaayyyyyy!!!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

STOPMO NEWBIES
basic stopmo discussion

ANIMATOR TALK
experienced animators looking to improve

CAMERA & STAGE
animation camera, lighting and moco rigs

ANIMATION TOOLS & EQUIPMENT
animation tool and rigging discussion

STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS
frame capture, editing, and post-production

STORY
script, storyboarding and storyreel discussion

SOUND
lip-sync, sound effects and music

YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT
discuss your stopmo film

ARMATURES
ball & socket and wire armature discussion

MACHINE SHOP
metalwork tool & talk

SCULPTING
sculpture information and advice

HAIR & COSTUME
materials, patterns and technique

CASTING
foam, silicone and resin

CLAY
clay puppet construction

GENERAL PUPPET MAKING
other puppet fabrication issues

STOP MOTION SETS
set design and construction information

MODEL DEPARTMENT
miniature prop discussion

MATTE PAINTINGS
glass matte paintings and backgrounds

GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS

STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION

FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS

PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION

FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS

ANIMATION SCHOOLS

STOP MOTION BOOKS

STOP MOTION ON VIDEO

JOBS & PROJECTS
post here if you are looking for talent to hire

SWAP MEET
stop motion items for sale

CHAT BOARD
general discussion

SITE FEEDBACK
report bugs, comments and suggestions here

Latest Activity

Count Croc replied to Count Croc's discussion My newest monster
"It's really more of a mandible type deal rather than a jaw."
1 hour ago
Simon Tytherleigh replied to Ben Young's discussion Armature and Casting advice for movable animal ears
"Hey, they look great! I especially like the Ox, who has bags of character. The goat-kid is nice…"
5 hours ago
Simon Tytherleigh replied to Alonso Soriano's discussion Cosclay
"This looks exciting stuff with many possibilities for stop motion."
5 hours ago
Simon Tytherleigh replied to Count Croc's discussion My newest monster
"Looks fun. How does the jaw relate to the rest of the head?"
5 hours ago

© 2019   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}