For stop motion,I want to animate in 12 or 15 fps. I also want to export to after effects to remove rigs. If I choose iPad, what software do I use,I I go with DSLR, what software do I use? And also, for 12 fps,you shoot in one's instead of two's. For 15,do u shoot in one's or two's?

Views: 311

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've already said which software I use on the iPad, and posted the video where I tested it.  That's a good place to start with, it's free and does what you need.  Here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCldXEMOCLM

Maybe someone else will come in here and say what they recommend.

I think there are a couple of other apps at the App store, you could try one of those.  But Stop Motion Studio did all I needed it to do.

If you shoot at 12 fps, or at 15 fps, you shoot on ones.  You don't want less than 12 moves per second.  

Thanks man, that really helped. But is it possible to import to after effects or other?

Yes. I imported my animation from the iPad into After Effects to do the greenscreen keying. 

I shot my animation with Stop Motion Studio on the iPad.  The app saves a movie file to the Photo Album in the iPad.  It was 1920 x 1080 HD resolution.

Then I connected the iPad to my Mac computer with the USB/charge cable, and used an app on the Mac called Image Capture, which lets me see all the photos and videos in my Photo Album on the iPad, and move them over to the computer.

Because you are using a Windows PC, I don't know what program you would use to copy your video file from the iPad to the computer, but I'm sure there are some.  Lots of people use iPads and Windows computers so they would need to do that.  ...Will just google "transfer from iPad to PC"...  Ok, it looks like the most common solution is to copy files from iPad to iTunes, then to your PC.  But here is one page that explains how to transfer directly to a PC without iTunes, using their software: https://www.imobie.com/support/transfer-files-from-ipad-to-pc.htm    You can look for your own solutions, I haven't tried this and can't vouch for it. 

Once the movie file was in a folder on my computer,  I opened After Effects CS5 and imported the mov file.  I can also import it into other programs I use like TV Paint or my editing program, but I needed to key out the green first and AE does that better than anything else that I have.   So then I keyed out the green background using a built-in AE tool called Keylight.  (Won't go into details here, but there are tutorials on Youtube for this.)  Then I saved a new mov file.  

I've used the free Lego movie maker app with my kids (and generally take over once they get bored!) I find it good but it limits to 10fps, onion skin only and editing is a bit clunky. Good for a cheapie and outputs at 1080p. You can make a whole film in here but you will have to shoot in sequence. I'll check out the one nick uses. Sounds good.
I still prefer the dslr and dragon frame or stopmo pro though.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

STOPMO NEWBIES
basic stopmo discussion

ANIMATOR TALK
experienced animators looking to improve

CAMERA & STAGE
animation camera, lighting and moco rigs

ANIMATION TOOLS & EQUIPMENT
animation tool and rigging discussion

STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS
frame capture, editing, and post-production

STORY
script, storyboarding and storyreel discussion

SOUND
lip-sync, sound effects and music

YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT
discuss your stopmo film

ARMATURES
ball & socket and wire armature discussion

MACHINE SHOP
metalwork tool & talk

SCULPTING
sculpture information and advice

HAIR & COSTUME
materials, patterns and technique

CASTING
foam, silicone and resin

CLAY
clay puppet construction

GENERAL PUPPET MAKING
other puppet fabrication issues

STOP MOTION SETS
set design and construction information

MODEL DEPARTMENT
miniature prop discussion

MATTE PAINTINGS
glass matte paintings and backgrounds

GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS

STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION

FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS

PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION

FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS

ANIMATION SCHOOLS

STOP MOTION BOOKS

STOP MOTION ON VIDEO

JOBS & PROJECTS
post here if you are looking for talent to hire

SWAP MEET
stop motion items for sale

CHAT BOARD
general discussion

SITE FEEDBACK
report bugs, comments and suggestions here

Latest Activity

StopmoNick replied to Aj Shenefelt's discussion What to use for set background?
"I'm working on a forest backdrop at the moment.  I am painting it on a piece of masonite…"
15 hours ago
Aj Shenefelt posted a discussion

What to use for set background?

Hi everyone,My apologies if this has been discussed already, but I have had a difficult time…See More
20 hours ago
maddogmovies replied to Jet Zhang's discussion Sculpture material of puppet hands
"Work backwards from the end product. You want silicone (soft) hands. That means a hard mold. If you…"
23 hours ago
Greyguy replied to Greyguy's discussion Start a new armature
yesterday

© 2020   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}