Hi, everyone. It took me a very long time, but I've been working on this. There are still a few things I'd like to add, but it's mostly done.
There are more pictures here: https://www.jonhartmanart.com/single-post/2018/06/27/Building-a-Bui...
Great job it looks incredible!
Well done! How large is that building?
Wow! That's really fantastic.
Nice work! It could use a little ageing or dirtying down to finish it off, but all the detailing and the general sense of scale are great. Actually the detailing is a little better than mine. I did some shops a bit like that one, with one side detailed so you could look down an alleyway, so it's a little like looking at my buildings, only the elves have come in the night and improved it!
(Can be seen in this clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8xAYjo3uLg )
How did you do the bricks? I made models of brickwork and vac-formed styrene sheets over them for my city buildings. A silicone mould and resin casts would have been slightly crisper. Yes, bricks are tedious, even if you are making a model and mould so you can duplicate them. Much more so if each individual brick is made!
This is amazing! Great job!!
Hi! Thanks, everyone.
Nick, I basically drew out my brick pattern on all three sides and then scored along the pattern. On the front, I wanted cleaner looking masonry, so I just sort of made a light depression along all of the lines. On the sides, I actually cut around each of the bricks and then widened the score marks (and roughed them up a bit). I had seen a similar method using a single-wall foam core (that's not available here in the US), so I slightly modified it and used it on regular old insulation foam.
Strictly speaking, I didn't really need to cover as much area as I did, but I did anyway. It's a pretty simple method that ends up being fairly time-consuming.
Ok, makes sense! Thanks for explaining.