I have ideas, but I don't know what to do or where to start

Before I say anything, I want to apologize ahead of time if that is the wrong place, place, etc., for this kind of question. I am just extremely lost on the web looking for an answer to a complex question.

I have always dreamed of employing a team to create a animated web series based off a plot I have writen over the previous 9 years. The story only started out as an easy short story any 14 year old might attempt to create. I wound up working on it on and off this entire time. It is kind of turned into a plot with multipal Arcs... I'm not searching for it to be on tv (That is just insane...) I just wanted a web animated series... I figure can go anyplace.

I am aware that it takes MANY individuals, a significant team, lots of time... and money. If it's likely to create some thing, is there a way to gauge the MINIMUN of just how much you would have to create... a 20 minute incident. I understand you can't hire individuals for fan fiction... therefore I will say this today: it's NOT.

Thank you!

Views: 84

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

What you are talking about is 'pitching' an idea, something that is done all the time in film. Essentially the process is similar to business planning... No, it IS business planning, but for a very unusual type of business.

Animation has certain peculiarities, but it is still subject to the same sorts of rigours. What most funders insist you have first is a producer, that way they know that there is not just one person with a crazy idea. Then you need to think about what it is you are pitching - is it a series, in which case how many episodes of how many minutes? Do you have a script or a treatment? Do you have concept sketches, a storyboard, an animatic, a mood board and what would your show be comparable to?

Ideally you would pitch to a funder with a solid idea of costs, and you can work on a budget by downloading a template and finding out how much each item might cost. You would also have an animatic to give an idea of pace and style. And also some scenes shot with the puppets you hope to use.

There are two sorts of funders: soft money and hard money. Soft money looks at cultural returns, and generally does not expect its money back. Hard money is an investment, and will expect a return. In both cases they know that a film is worth nothing at all until it is completed, which is why it is a special business case. So they need to know that the film can be completed and delivered, underwritten and guaranteed.

Even if you are doing something very basic it is a good idea to do some sort of budget, as this ensures you are allocating money in the right sort of proportions.

There are courses and tutorials online about the business of filmmaking, so have a look there.

You're having a conversation with a bot.  These kind of strange random semi-gibberish posts are set up so that another bot can pop in later with an 'answer', which is the big plug. Check "Vishal Gupta's" other posts from the last few days. They're strange and random and have nothing to do with stopmotion (unless you're trying to do bikini photoshoots by posing puppets). 

I deleted the Bikini post. We're watching you Vishal. Those kind of posts don't belong on this site and will not be tolerated. I terminate accounts all the time and will not hesitate to terminate yours.

Ah well, beats talking to myself! I saw the other weird posts after replying to this one. Strange robots they're making these days! (Perhaps there's a film idea in there somewhere?!

Hey, I've done the same thing, before I learned to recognize the bots. It does show your helpful nature. And yeah, I think there is a decent film idea in there! (Although I must say, I often find myself to be a good conversation partner... )

Reply to Discussion

RSS

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

STOPMO NEWBIES
basic stopmo discussion

ANIMATOR TALK
experienced animators looking to improve

CAMERA & STAGE
animation camera, lighting and moco rigs

ANIMATION TOOLS & EQUIPMENT
animation tool and rigging discussion

STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS
frame capture, editing, and post-production

STORY
script, storyboarding and storyreel discussion

SOUND
lip-sync, sound effects and music

YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT
discuss your stopmo film

ARMATURES
ball & socket and wire armature discussion

MACHINE SHOP
metalwork tool & talk

SCULPTING
sculpture information and advice

HAIR & COSTUME
materials, patterns and technique

CASTING
foam, silicone and resin

CLAY
clay puppet construction

GENERAL PUPPET MAKING
other puppet fabrication issues

STOP MOTION SETS
set design and construction information

MODEL DEPARTMENT
miniature prop discussion

MATTE PAINTINGS
glass matte paintings and backgrounds

GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS

STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION

FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS

PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION

FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS

ANIMATION SCHOOLS

STOP MOTION BOOKS

STOP MOTION ON VIDEO

JOBS & PROJECTS
post here if you are looking for talent to hire

SWAP MEET
stop motion items for sale

CHAT BOARD
general discussion

SITE FEEDBACK
report bugs, comments and suggestions here

Latest Activity

Count Croc replied to Count Croc's discussion Keeping motivation
"Thanks for the advice Nick! I think the underlying issue is being a student saps my mental energy…"
1 hour ago
Simon Tytherleigh replied to Roo Nelo's discussion Possible camera issue causing misaligned frames?
"It does sound like it might be a camera issue, as you seem to have eliminated everything else as a…"
2 hours ago
Adam Taylor replied to James Krysa's discussion how to study video reference
"Hi guys, just to clarify, it is not the forward and back arrow keys that work on youtube.  It…"
8 hours ago
Brandon Ayers replied to Tim Allen's discussion 5 Day Stop Motion Animation Workshop with Tim Allen in London (May 2019)
"Congratulations on the workshop! The online one sounds interesting as well but alas, I don't…"
10 hours ago

© 2019   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}