Hey Guys,

I've been in this business for more nearly more years than I can count and yet, I've never had a demo reel. That's because I got pegged very early in my career as being a "fabricator" (maker of special props and puppets) but never an animator.

Over the past 5 years or so, I've totally focused on dedicating myself to the goal of being a professional animator and have amassed quite a bit of animation but, most of the projects I've been working on have remained unreleased and so I cannot legally show what I've been doing publicly.

Long story short, that waiting time is finally at an end and better than that - a new beginning. I say that because I've put together a demo reel I can show publicly while knowing that within the coming year, there will be more and more of my stuff that will become available for me to show... so this reel is just the beginning and it will be evolving and expanding.

IMPORTANT!: Not all of the animation on my demo reel is mine, on many jobs I was the puppet and/or prop maker so, I listed credits at the bottom of the screen (when you watch in HD) to let the viewer know what I'm responsible for.

(drum roll please) Here it is...

Views: 844

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Wow that film was incredible! The animation in the face's on the way they pronounced everything was dead on, loved it!!

Thanks! The ability to match dialog was the whole reason I started making those puppets and I really only intended to shoot some test footage but, after I had two of them built, I felt it would be foolish not to make a whole film with them.

Shortly before I was finished making this film, the movie 'Corpse Bride' came out and I felt a little deflated because they beat me to it. But there are a few things I think I actually did (mechanically) better than they did because my puppets (which work a whole different way than theirs) can be just a bit more expressive than their puppets. The pronunciation of the letter "O" was a major accomplishment in my film and I'm pleased as punch that nobody has ever been able to either match it or figure out how I did it.

Wow just looked up your blog, I didnt know you used wire to manipulate the facial expressions. Really clever idea. How big were those puppets? Keep up the awesome work!

The wizard puppet was 22 inches tall from his knees up. (they had no lower legs because of the need for the cable controls to enter the puppets)

pure excitement that only comes from giant sized monster action in stop motion.

Isomer, you named that science fiction horror movie that you made puppets for. I rented it and liked it a lot. It was late 80s early 90s but I don't remember the title. I want to see it again.

Metamorphosis: The Alien Factor

Hello Ron,

I realise I'm a little late to the party but yesterday I was rereading the Building Puppets chapter in Ken Priebe's excellent book and lo and behold, there was the wizard with all his inner workings.  Then on to your blog and your thorough explanation on how the magic was done. Really enjoyed reading about the whole process.  Doubt I will ever undertake anything so complicated but I do like see how others do it.

Cheers 

I just watched The Fall of Gravity, I can't believe I hadn't seen it before now. I do remember seeing images in Barry Purves Book though. That is some of the most amazing stop motion performance I have ever seen. The faces are incredible and I love all of the subtlety with the movement, especially in the hands.  

by the way, I just sent you a friend request on Facebook.

Accepted. Thanks!

I'm sorry I've been a bit negligent about replying here but, please understand that since the debut of this reel I've had many-many comments about it on different websites to respond too and I've been (thankfully) overwhelmed. The comments that have been posted here have been a real boost for me and I thank you for them.

But other than lots of views and great comments, this art hasn't really been financially paying off for me - but I believe it will and so, I hope you'll please forgive me for being preoccupied with all my travels elsewhere on the internet with it and seeming to ignore you here. But please know that all of your comments are greatly appreciated and needed because this is a difficult business with few career rewards so, that makes the viewer support all the more emotionally significant and it really does keep me going... THANKS!!!  

Nice work! I liked your first one too :)

The info on the wizard in Priebe's book is how I found out about StopMotionAnimation.com, so I have Ron, and Ken, to thank for finding this incredible site!

Dennis said:

Hello Ron,

I realise I'm a little late to the party but yesterday I was rereading the Building Puppets chapter in Ken Priebe's excellent book and lo and behold, there was the wizard with all his inner workings.  Then on to your blog and your thorough explanation on how the magic was done. Really enjoyed reading about the whole process.  Doubt I will ever undertake anything so complicated but I do like see how others do it.

Cheers 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

STOPMO NEWBIES
basic stopmo discussion

ANIMATOR TALK
experienced animators looking to improve

CAMERA & STAGE
animation camera, lighting and moco rigs

ANIMATION TOOLS & EQUIPMENT
animation tool and rigging discussion

STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS
frame capture, editing, and post-production

STORY
script, storyboarding and storyreel discussion

SOUND
lip-sync, sound effects and music

YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT
discuss your stopmo film

ARMATURES
ball & socket and wire armature discussion

MACHINE SHOP
metalwork tool & talk

SCULPTING
sculpture information and advice

HAIR & COSTUME
materials, patterns and technique

CASTING
foam, silicone and resin

CLAY
clay puppet construction

GENERAL PUPPET MAKING
other puppet fabrication issues

STOP MOTION SETS
set design and construction information

MODEL DEPARTMENT
miniature prop discussion

MATTE PAINTINGS
glass matte paintings and backgrounds

GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS

STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION

FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS

PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION

FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS

ANIMATION SCHOOLS

STOP MOTION BOOKS

STOP MOTION ON VIDEO

JOBS & PROJECTS
post here if you are looking for talent to hire

SWAP MEET
stop motion items for sale

CHAT BOARD
general discussion

SITE FEEDBACK
report bugs, comments and suggestions here

Latest Activity

Count Croc replied to Count Croc's discussion I need suggestions for my new film
"Well, as one of the comments reads, “How about Bobby No”. Jokes aside, I might muster…"
6 hours ago
Eric J. Nelson posted a video
6 hours ago
Simon Tytherleigh replied to Tatu P's discussion All tender things
"Wow! That's looking lovely. Fantastic animation. One to look forward to! Glad I was able to be…"
7 hours ago
Simon Tytherleigh replied to Count Croc's discussion I need suggestions for my new film
"What you need is this wonderful book: Ideas for the animated short , by Sullivan, Alexander, Mintz…"
7 hours ago

© 2020   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}