These are 1:6 scale figures, I know it was not done with stop motion so how did he do it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEzhYVJTbR0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDXhhDUPayQ

Views: 504

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Looks like CG to me.

Interesting, the table and room look like cgi.  The Bruce Lee figure, and the other one, move more like cgi with motion capture, but he shows the figures with the boxes at the end.  Lots of camera moves jerking in and out in imitation of beginners stop motion, but I'm sure it's added in post.  Could be done by animating the figures against greenscreen, and adding motion blur to stop motion is perfectly do-able now, so it could be stop mo.  If so, it's impressive, you would have to video some live action and use that as a guide.  

Or it could be a computer model based on the figure, animated purely in cgi.  I can't see the kinds of folds in the cloth, or the occasional twitch of the fabric, that I would expect with a 1:6 figure.

The second one (Carmine) looks like all cgi to me - very good detailed render of the kitchen benchtop and everything, but I'm not quite convinced.  And again, the figure looks like motion capture moves, not animation.  So it's leading me to think it's all cgi with no real action figures anywhere.  

I'm very tempted to say 'it's a man in a suit'. The movement of all the characters is very realistic as are the shadows.

Look closely at the Bruce Lee character and the elbow joints might just be tape round the human arms. The rest of the torso may be a foam jacket to give the effect of the shoulder joints.

The other two characters are easy to create as a costume for a real person. With a green screen, the right lighting, the right software and no small amount of skill those shots  can be composited with the backgrounds to produce these very convincing results.

Even in these hi-tech days, some of the characters we see on the screen are still portrayed by real actors!

Now prove me wrong

Kit

The immediate tip-offs to my eye in the first shot were:

1. The quality of the light on Bruce (very flat, fairly saturated highlights), especially compared to the quality of the light on everything else in the dining room.
  2. A lot of the textures look mapped on (either CG, or someone did a great job of painting the figure to look like a videogame character).  Pause it on one of the closer shots and ask yourself if that looks like a physical object -- at the very least, it isn't the same physical figure that we see at the very end, which has much more detail.
  3. The way his feet move. There's some shuffling that looks intentional, but not all of it; there are enough times that the feet are intentionally placed at an odd angle that I don't see how it could have been animated with tiedowns, but the (very) occasional sloppy move looks more like the result of IK rigging than stopmo chatter of an unsecured limb (it looks more like the ankle stays anchored while the body twists the foot around that point).  Also, looking at it again, the edges of his feet occasionally dip down under the ground-plane, which is a real trick to do in stopmo.

The setting itself might be a real image; it's too low res to tell, but its lighting is much more natural than Bruce's.

For the second shot:

1. The camera movement looks like a motion tracking test (like this, or this, or this, or this).  The kitchen counter is probably real, with just the one figure animated in (and possibly the figure that the animated shadow touches?).  It's much, much easier to do that sort of motion matching in CG than anything else.
  2. Compare the (I would guess) real action figure on the left to the CG one that actually moves -- CG character is much sharper than the real action figure, even accounting for DOF (which is pretty deep in this shot). A very slight blur would have helped the composite a lot.

They probably took 3d scans of the action figures and built CG models of them. The movement definitely looks like motion capture, and if you watch the feet they slide around weirdly on the table at times, definite sign of compositing. 

A bit of searching on 'John Beswick' reveals the following:

Phase 4 winners of Best Machinima are:
First place: The Plan by John Beswick Prize: $5,000 http://www.fileplanet.com/204621/200000/fileinfo/Unreal-Tournament-...

Unfortunately the link is broken. Wikipedia has a rather long explanation of the term 'machinima' but it basically means using software originally designed for games to generate characters and their movements outside the normal game environment.

Nice find Sir Kit!    I'll bet that's exactly how it was done. 

If you look at this video by the same person, it's clearly footage of a character captured from the computer game "Gears of War", then rotoscoped into live video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sYK5yZOgGc
That explains how the kitchen bench scene was made.

The video with the action figures -- it might include some stop-mo. It could have been made with a clean plate photo of a real-world background/table/props, and rotoscoped stop-mo figures that were animated separately based on a video reference. The reflection of the glass in the background doesn't change, which suggests it's a still photo, and all the camera moves and shake are added in post. The very low video resolution is probably a result of cropping most of the frame during digital camera moves (also means you can't scrutinise details in the video).

Interesting to compare with these videos, which really are stop-motion animation: 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ywu1DeqXTg4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GR3ywoc2Cp4
Making-of: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1WsgasZBg0

Cheers,
Damien

Reply to Discussion

RSS

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

STOPMO NEWBIES
basic stopmo discussion

ANIMATOR TALK
experienced animators looking to improve

CAMERA & STAGE
animation camera, lighting and moco rigs

ANIMATION TOOLS & EQUIPMENT
animation tool and rigging discussion

STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS
frame capture, editing, and post-production

STORY
script, storyboarding and storyreel discussion

SOUND
lip-sync, sound effects and music

YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT
discuss your stopmo film

ARMATURES
ball & socket and wire armature discussion

MACHINE SHOP
metalwork tool & talk

SCULPTING
sculpture information and advice

HAIR & COSTUME
materials, patterns and technique

CASTING
foam, silicone and resin

CLAY
clay puppet construction

GENERAL PUPPET MAKING
other puppet fabrication issues

STOP MOTION SETS
set design and construction information

MODEL DEPARTMENT
miniature prop discussion

MATTE PAINTINGS
glass matte paintings and backgrounds

GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS

STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION

FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS

PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION

FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS

ANIMATION SCHOOLS

STOP MOTION BOOKS

STOP MOTION ON VIDEO

JOBS & PROJECTS
post here if you are looking for talent to hire

SWAP MEET
stop motion items for sale

CHAT BOARD
general discussion

SITE FEEDBACK
report bugs, comments and suggestions here

Latest Activity

Caroline Fawell replied to Joshua Hurtado's discussion Baking Epoxy putty and Polymer Clay Together
"Hi, new here but have been watching your very helpful videos on YouTube thanks and wanted to ask if…"
3 hours ago
Keira Tayor posted a discussion

Issue while writing assignment?

We at EssayAssignmentHelp promise that you will always get quality custom papers at very reasonable…See More
4 hours ago
ryan craig updated their profile
6 hours ago
Simon Tytherleigh replied to Dave Cooley's discussion Moving water in a scene
"Then it is looking really really good! I suppose you could always make the boat larger rather than…"
6 hours ago

© 2020   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}