How to use a Blackmagic 4K Camera for StopMotion?? PLEASE HELP!!

Hey People im stuck, i have a black magig 4k video camera and i need to use it with Dragon, the dragon page says that it is compatible, but still is not working, please help!!!

Views: 1931

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I dont know much about that kind of camera, but I believe you need some kind of 4k capture card to get the feed into the computer- something like this: Blackmagic Design Intensity Pro 4K Capture Card (<Link). Maybe it doesn't need a capture card, like I say I don't really know. Maybe you're way ahead of me on this - I can't tell because you didn't mention what kind of problem you're having. By any chance is the problem that the camera doesn't have a connector that fits into any of the slots on your computer? If so then this might be your solution. 

Disclaimer - please don't buy that card just on my say-so - it may or may not be what you need. It's just the first thing that came up on a search for Blackmagic 4K video card. More research would be in order before buying. 

From the Dragonframe website:

To use HDMI video with Dragonframe, you must have an HDMI converter, like one from Blackmagic Design.

It doesn't actually say this beside the Blackmagic cameras, but a little farther down, next to HDMI cameras. Does the 4k use an HDMI connection? It says something about one of the Blackmagic cameras using a Thunderbolt connector, so I'm not sure. 

Ok, I see an HDMI port, but no Tunderbolt port. On this page it shows the camera from all sides. So it must be using the HDMI port - though there might be a Thunderbolt converter? I'm thinking my first guess was right, you probably need the Blackmagic 4k card. But again - don't buy it before doing more research. 

Boy, am I gonna feel stupid if after all this it turns out to be a different problem.. ;) As much fun as this has been so far, I think I'll wait for you to respond before I type anything else. 

Cant stop...  

What kind of cables will I need for 4K?

The two standard cables you're most likely to use are either a standard HDMI or if you're connecting a PC to a Ultra HD monitor, DisplayPort.

HDMI cables now come in two flavors: 1.4 and 2.0. HDMI 1.4 cables are the super inexpensive kind found at the dollar bin of your local electronics retailer. They're cheap and can output a 3820x2160-resolution at 30 frames per second. HDMI 2.0 is the latest spec and can output video at Ultra HD resolution at 60 frames per second. (But more on that below!)

From This page.

So possibly you have the wrong kind of HDMI cable? Just throwing out ideas here. 

Demian,

Don't talk to us oily rags, go straight to the engine driver (no offense meant Strider ).The guys who own DragonFrame keep a close eye on their forum pages and will answer your questions quite quickly. Link below...

http://www.dragonframe.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=3

Kit

Haven't seen any stop mo done with a Blackmagic camera, would be interested to see your results......

Kit said:

Demian,

Don't talk to us oily rags, go straight to the engine driver (no offense meant Strider ).

Oh sure - what's offensive about calling somebody an oily rag?  

Sorry Strider, only meant in fun.

Hang on.... isn't a Black Magic camera specifically designed for shooting video, not stills? Any average DSLR will shoot bigger than 4K stills, and the lenses would be the same (assuming EF mount).

Are you trying to do something with the wrong piece of gear? Why not just get hold of a Canon DSLR body?

Or am I missing something?

Camera needs to connect over Thurderbolt: http://www.dragonframe.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1266

Some people like the Blackmagic camera for its video quality- better than the DSLRs. So if you were shooting live-action to mix in with your animation, the two would match perfectly.

Haven't used the BMD 4K for stop-motion yet. Let us know how it goes, Demian.

I believe the reason that it isn't working has something to do with the black magic having only manual lenses. Dragon can't hook up to it because there is no motor in the camera to control. Though I don't know why you wouldn't be able to get an image in Dragon and focus manually. 

I have a very foggy recollection of being introduced to the black magic, but i do remember something about its limitations associated to being manual that I thought to myself definitely wouldn't fly with Dragon.

Someone mentioned contacting the Dragon team directly. I might too- i really want to use that camera!

Well thanks to all you guys, the problem with the Black Magic was that i needed a last generation computer, it went just plug and play with the latest model of Mac. 

And about the results, ill post the TV spot as soon as i finish that, the animation is kinda crappy by the way, to short time for a 30 seconds spot, so detail was not the aim of this. 

Thanks again people. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

STOPMO NEWBIES
basic stopmo discussion

ANIMATOR TALK
experienced animators looking to improve

CAMERA & STAGE
animation camera, lighting and moco rigs

ANIMATION TOOLS & EQUIPMENT
animation tool and rigging discussion

STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS
frame capture, editing, and post-production

STORY
script, storyboarding and storyreel discussion

SOUND
lip-sync, sound effects and music

YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT
discuss your stopmo film

ARMATURES
ball & socket and wire armature discussion

MACHINE SHOP
metalwork tool & talk

SCULPTING
sculpture information and advice

HAIR & COSTUME
materials, patterns and technique

CASTING
foam, silicone and resin

CLAY
clay puppet construction

GENERAL PUPPET MAKING
other puppet fabrication issues

STOP MOTION SETS
set design and construction information

MODEL DEPARTMENT
miniature prop discussion

MATTE PAINTINGS
glass matte paintings and backgrounds

GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS

STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION

FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS

PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION

FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS

ANIMATION SCHOOLS

STOP MOTION BOOKS

STOP MOTION ON VIDEO

JOBS & PROJECTS
post here if you are looking for talent to hire

SWAP MEET
stop motion items for sale

CHAT BOARD
general discussion

SITE FEEDBACK
report bugs, comments and suggestions here

Latest Activity

Greyguy replied to Mark Francombe's discussion Stop Motion Stage hints?
"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqjvuxztnL8Justin Rasch has some good point in his latest video"
6 hours ago
Mark Francombe replied to Mark Francombe's discussion Stop Motion Stage hints?
"Having trouble sourcing stuff with Amazon, delivery blocked to Norway. Hers some options from…"
yesterday
Dave Cooley replied to Dave Cooley's discussion Moving water in a scene
"Thanks for the link, Simon! Interesting ideas. I am at work now on the puppets and other scenic…"
Saturday
Simon Tytherleigh replied to Dave Cooley's discussion Moving water in a scene
"Nearly missed this thread! Really interesting to see what you are doing, as I have a lake to…"
Saturday

© 2020   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}