I've used silver solder to solder to put together non threaded pieces, that seemed straightforward. I just put in some flux a couple of snips of silver solder, heated the whole thing up until the solder melted, and inserted the rod.

With threaded balls/all thread can I just braze them? Like coat the threads with flux, screw in the all thread, heat it up then touch some of the silver solder to it? Will the flux suck the silver solder down into the threads?

Just looking for some pointers before a ruins some perfectly good materials 

Views: 337

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Stuart,
I think if you got hold of some threaded balls the idea is probably that you could use loctite thread lock instead of silver soldering them to a rod. However, I'd say that is not really a good idea for ball and socket armatures. It's pretty strong stuff, but not designed to work with that sort of pressure. Silver soldering is always better if you have the tools and skills to do that. You should be able to solder them just fine, it just makes the threaded ball/rod a bit pointless. I suppose as you describe it the balls do not have the whole going all the way through? You mention heating the balls up first and then putting the rod in. You might want to try pushing the rod in while heating everything up, that way you avoid the ball going black inside, and if you get the right amount of solder in you know it's all good when you see the solder flowing out at the top, forming a ring around the rod.
As for the threaded rod, seems a bit of a hassle as you cannot push it down. You can touch some solder from the top and if you make sure the ball is hotter then the rod above it it should suck the solder down. Only problem is, you can't see if it has, so sometimes it might look from the outside like it has worked fine, until the bond breaks halfway a shot and you realize the solder hasn't flown through properly!

I solder to threaded rods sometimes, but the hole in the ball isn't threaded.  I just treat it like an unthreaded shaft.  For 6-32s I'll file down the threads a little - clear is .140", so I'll use .125" hole.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

STOPMO NEWBIES
basic stopmo discussion

ANIMATOR TALK
experienced animators looking to improve

CAMERA & STAGE
animation camera, lighting and moco rigs

ANIMATION TOOLS & EQUIPMENT
animation tool and rigging discussion

STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS
frame capture, editing, and post-production

STORY
script, storyboarding and storyreel discussion

SOUND
lip-sync, sound effects and music

YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT
discuss your stopmo film

ARMATURES
ball & socket and wire armature discussion

MACHINE SHOP
metalwork tool & talk

SCULPTING
sculpture information and advice

HAIR & COSTUME
materials, patterns and technique

CASTING
foam, silicone and resin

CLAY
clay puppet construction

GENERAL PUPPET MAKING
other puppet fabrication issues

STOP MOTION SETS
set design and construction information

MODEL DEPARTMENT
miniature prop discussion

MATTE PAINTINGS
glass matte paintings and backgrounds

GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS

STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION

FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS

PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION

FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS

ANIMATION SCHOOLS

STOP MOTION BOOKS

STOP MOTION ON VIDEO

JOBS & PROJECTS
post here if you are looking for talent to hire

SWAP MEET
stop motion items for sale

CHAT BOARD
general discussion

SITE FEEDBACK
report bugs, comments and suggestions here

Latest Activity

StopmoNick replied to Daniel Svensson's discussion App that can remove rigs?
"I don't know what TV Paint on an Android device is like, didn't know there was one.…"
Thursday
Eric J. Nelson posted a video

Winter Fun at the Skating Rink | Stop Motion | American Girl

Winter’s finally here! Time to lace up our skates and hit the ice. Whether you’re a figure skater or hockey player, we're all on the same team when we help e...
Wednesday
Rob Nugen replied to Anthony Scott's discussion Please Introduce Yourself
"Welcome to the community!  I look forward to seeing some of your work.  :-)"
Wednesday
Dave Cooley replied to Chris Johnson's discussion Halloween with Corky and Clay
"Looking good!"
Tuesday

© 2019   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}