Hi there,

Not a very much used part of the message board it seems here, but seems most appropriate for my question...

I finally have a great space to use as my own stop motion workshop/studio, hooray!
I have done some ball and socket armature making while I was at University and had access over a metal workshop with brazing and welding equipment and all that. I want to set up my new space so I can do silver soldering, perhaps even a little brazing sometimes...

My workshop will be in an attic. There is a window I can open, there are also two holes in a wall where simple vents are fitted now. I will be insulating this wall as it is just a bare brick wall but am thinking to use the holes and build some sort of extraction for fumes of silver soldering, and possibly also a little spraybooth... I've been looking online what diy methods people use for extraction systems and found al sorts of different solutions, some using bathroom fans, computer fans, those big fans you use to cool a room, etc... just not sure what will be the best to use.

Can anyone help me with this? I am looking probably at two extraction set ups, one for silver soldering, and one built in into a spraybooth... Wondering what are affordable options.

Or do you all have small torches and the fumes aren't much of a problem? I used to work with big oxy-acetylene torches, which were used for brazing as well and definitely needed extraction. I've also done a bit of silver soldering just with a fire brick on a pile of boxes inside a studio with not much ventilation... worked out ok but probably not good idea for long term use.

Would appreciate any thoughts, thanks!

Roos

Views: 1101

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

yay adapters for adapters into adapters and if I go to another European country I'll have another one on top.

Hmm, I found a video on youtube where someone is 'unboxing' the extractor and taking out the power cord it is not visible enough but I hear her say '3 prong powercord'.  No need to disturb the sleeping dog! ;)
Cool so either find a converter that goes from 3 prong USA to UK or another adapter in between. 

Greetings... I haven't read every post in the thread, but I would like to point out that the total fume load from the work on any given stop motion armature would probably be less than doing a single weld on any motorcycle frame... and the armature work would be most likely spread out over days. When I silver braze, I just open the doors and let an air flow go through the area.

I would think it would be safe enough to simply put a good strong fan in the window frame pointing out, a fan in your door open door pointing in and forgo all these expensive options.  Add in a welding approved respirator and carry on... :)

http://www.envirosafetyproducts.com/3m-6000-series-half-facepiece-w...

Safety is a must, but this may be approaching overkill.

Regards,

Hi Jim,
Thanks for your ideas. Yeah that was exactly what I was trying to understand, what would be necessary in terms of safety and what would be overkill. Well, I have paid for the smaller Xytronic fan now, the same one Strider uses, and will need to get some voltage converter to have it work in the UK. I was starting to understand that perhaps indeed a fan pointing to a window may do enough, but it would still have been tricky to do that in the space I have because the window there is in an odd place, quite high in the slanted roof, because it is an attic, So it wouldn't be easy to work next to it.
So I suppose the small fan may be a good idea in my case. But the suggestions make sense, thanks for your input. :)

Ah, I knew I should have read the whole thread!  You should be very well set for any work you intend to do. 

If in for a penny, go in for the pound... I would still consider adding the respirator in the mix, as it's fairly inexpensive, and unlike the most elaborate fan setup, is an actual physical blockage designed to keep the nasties in the fumes from getting into your lungs!

Regards,

Thanks, the respirator sounds like a good idea, I will look into that.

(PS: Strider, did you have a look at the plug from the Xytronic after your dog finished his nap by any chance? :P I'm assuming now it may be 3 prong but if you could confirm that'd be great.  )

Hi guys;

Soldering/brazing/welding; very simply, these refer to the temperature you are working in; the higher the temperature, the better the bond.  Soldering, 600-900 degrees (typically with lead or tin alloys), brazing, 1100-1600 (typically silver). Both of these techniques are typically used to join dissimilar metals.  Welding, which is 2600+ is used for bonding the same material at a molecular level using a similar or same metal as a filler material (when needed; spot welding and forge welding is a straight-heat molecular bond)

Silver solder often contains cadmium, which is bad.  Solution?  Use cadmium-free silver solder (for what we do you'll never know the difference). Anyway, the (typically borax) flux fumes and smoke aren't particularly great for you either (and stinky), so ventilate anyway.  Setting up near a window and using a cheap window fan (facing outwards, of course) is more then sufficient, although you can get as fancy as you like with hoods and such.  If you are generating a ton of smoke something is wrong; it shouldn't be too bad; imagine about as much as a lit cigar...

Best,

Ted

trikfx.com

P.S. Yes, it's called silver "solder", but what you are doing with it is brazing.  Confuses everybody in the beginning...

P.S.S. A simple Benzomatic propane torch (better with a hose extension) used with MAPP gas (burns hotter) is fine for this type of work.

Also, looking back at your pictures (nice space!) you could build your own exhaust rig from a small fan and some dryer tube and a roll of duct tape to take advantage of those brick openings...

Reply to Discussion

RSS

STOPMO JAM on Facebook

BLOGS

Create a Blog for your personal page. Go to My Page and click on Blog Posts. Access all Blog Posts here.

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

STOPMO NEWBIES
basic stopmo discussion

ANIMATOR TALK
experienced animators looking to improve

CAMERA & STAGE
animation camera, lighting and moco rigs

ANIMATION TOOLS & EQUIPMENT
animation tool and rigging discussion

STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS
frame capture, editing, and post-production

STORY
script, storyboarding and storyreel discussion

SOUND
lip-sync, sound effects and music

YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT
discuss your stopmo film

ARMATURES
ball & socket and wire armature discussion

MACHINE SHOP
metalwork tool & talk

SCULPTING
sculpture information and advice

HAIR & COSTUME
materials, patterns and technique

CASTING
foam, silicone and resin

CLAY
clay puppet construction

GENERAL PUPPET MAKING
other puppet fabrication issues

STOP MOTION SETS
set design and construction information

MODEL DEPARTMENT
miniature prop discussion

MATTE PAINTINGS
glass matte paintings and backgrounds

GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS

STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION

FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS

PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION

FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS

ANIMATION SCHOOLS

STOP MOTION BOOKS

STOP MOTION ON VIDEO

JOBS & PROJECTS
post here if you are looking for talent to hire

SWAP MEET
stop motion items for sale

CHAT BOARD
general discussion

SITE FEEDBACK
report bugs, comments and suggestions here

SPAM ALERT!

StopMotionAnimation.com has been hit hard by spammers lately. They have been creating several fake accounts every day, contacting and harassing members and posting suspicious content. If you see anything suspicious, don't click on any links, instead, send me their User Name. I will suspend them. 

Questions & Feedback
Report Spam or Abuse

© 2017   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}