Hello there!
Making my fist stop-motion movie and have some questions about technique. I wanna use tie-dows and wooden set to make puppets stay sturdy, but I don't quite understand how to put a cover down the set floor.

I mean, there are puppets feet and these holes for tie-downs in the set floor. Thus how do you guys do various kinds of the surface in your sets?

I would be grateful for any information about it.

Tags: cover, decoration, help, set, stage, tie-down

Views: 316

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hmmm ok so it sounds like maybe I should avoid magnets... unfortunately my computer lives at one end of my animating desk, so I'm reluctant to use rare earth magnets in case they have a disastrous effect on my hard drive!

Wallace Jones- the technique you suggested sounds like a really good idea.  I think my problem is that because my main character is a dog, it's paws are kind of underneath its body, so they would be hard to get to with a screwdriver without accidentally moving the puppet, if you see what I mean.  Although I do also have a human puppet in various scenes so I think I might try the technique you suggested with that character.  

Thank you both for the ideas and information, I'll have a think and let you know how I get on!  

I use screws from above when I have to move the puppet so far back that I can't reach both the puppet, and the tiedown underneath the set.  When my neck is pressed hard against the front edge of the particle board floor, then it's time for the screws going in from above.  With a human, I still might have to bend it a little bit out of the way for screwdriver access, then bend it back.  But with a quadruped like a  dog, I don't think it would work too well, the feet don't stick far out in front from the leg, and there is more than one other foot attached as well.  There are right-angle screwdrivers, or tools to mount the stubbly Philips head screwdriver bits into at a right-angle, but even those could struggle to work with a dog puppet because they are a bit bulky where the bit is attached.  Maybe if the screw goes in at a bit of an angle?   Tiedowns underneath the set is probably the best.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

MESSAGE BOARD QUICK LINKS

Message Board

pros&cons to coistumes mad eof fabric materials vs. "casting" of rtv silicone and/or urethane rubbers

Started by John Polacchi in HAIR & COSTUME. Last reply by Cynthia Eckles 13 minutes ago. 6 Replies

I was wondering how many of you out(if any) either have or have thought that instead of going through the pains of making costumes of various fabrics have decided to just "cast" the major parts or costumes/clothing from rtv rubber(silicone,urethane…Continue

Looking for animator for 20 sec short

Started by Robert in YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT. Last reply by Robert 37 minutes ago. 1 Reply

I'm actually designing a storyboard for a short 20 sec animation with 2 characters one in a bed sick with a flu with a thermometer hanging out his mouth the other a doctor, I've been thinking of doing this a while for my documentary I'm making but I…Continue

Grand Prize Winner! "Marshmallow Martyr"

Started by Rick Jacobs in YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT. Last reply by Jason Rodgers 13 hours ago. 4 Replies

Fun! I won grand prize for this animation. On to a more challenging competition.…Continue

Issue using Nikon manual lens on a Canon camera in Dragonframe.

Started by Ben Tobin in CAMERA & STAGE. Last reply by Ben Tobin 23 hours ago. 7 Replies

Hey anyone reading.I recently purchased a pre-AI Nikkor Macro as it was fairly cheap and the glass looked absolutely flawless despite it being the same age as me.I am currently using a Canon 6D as my primary shooting body and up until recently I…Continue

The Nolvin Project (preview)

Started by David Tomasiewicz in YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT. Last reply by David Tomasiewicz yesterday. 125 Replies

I had a longer description of this project, but here is a better and shorter one:This is a scene for a project (my space opera: THE NOLVIN PROJECT) that I'll work on 40 or so years later in my life. This scene, however, I'm creating now. It is a…Continue

Dan of the Dead at Viewster Film Festival

Started by Peter Ellis in YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT. Last reply by Peter Ellis on Monday. 2 Replies

Hi allDan of the Dead is in it's first ever film festival. After almost 4 years in the making!!! It's an amazing feeling to finally have it out there for all to see and more importantly... VOTE!We really need your votes guys, we're currently in 12th…Continue

Tags: danofthedead, viewster, festival, animation, stop-motion

Photos

Loading…

Events

BLOGS

Create a Blog for your personal page. Go to My Page and click on Blog Posts. Access all Blog Posts here.

Members

© 2014   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}