Hello there!
Making my fist stop-motion movie and have some questions about technique. I wanna use tie-dows and wooden set to make puppets stay sturdy, but I don't quite understand how to put a cover down the set floor.

I mean, there are puppets feet and these holes for tie-downs in the set floor. Thus how do you guys do various kinds of the surface in your sets?

I would be grateful for any information about it.

Tags: cover, decoration, help, set, stage, tie-down

Views: 500

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hmmm ok so it sounds like maybe I should avoid magnets... unfortunately my computer lives at one end of my animating desk, so I'm reluctant to use rare earth magnets in case they have a disastrous effect on my hard drive!

Wallace Jones- the technique you suggested sounds like a really good idea.  I think my problem is that because my main character is a dog, it's paws are kind of underneath its body, so they would be hard to get to with a screwdriver without accidentally moving the puppet, if you see what I mean.  Although I do also have a human puppet in various scenes so I think I might try the technique you suggested with that character.  

Thank you both for the ideas and information, I'll have a think and let you know how I get on!  

I use screws from above when I have to move the puppet so far back that I can't reach both the puppet, and the tiedown underneath the set.  When my neck is pressed hard against the front edge of the particle board floor, then it's time for the screws going in from above.  With a human, I still might have to bend it a little bit out of the way for screwdriver access, then bend it back.  But with a quadruped like a  dog, I don't think it would work too well, the feet don't stick far out in front from the leg, and there is more than one other foot attached as well.  There are right-angle screwdrivers, or tools to mount the stubbly Philips head screwdriver bits into at a right-angle, but even those could struggle to work with a dog puppet because they are a bit bulky where the bit is attached.  Maybe if the screw goes in at a bit of an angle?   Tiedowns underneath the set is probably the best.

Reply to Discussion

The Complete 50s series now available on DVD. Fully Remastered with the Original 50s Soundtrack.

Message Board

Started by Alex Sdraub in NEWBIE CORNER 1 hour ago. 0 Replies

i just watched last animation on youtube by StopmoNick the SteamWalkerTest and it is awesome on any point of view!Continue

Designing a dedicated studio. Any advice greatly appreciated!

Started by Hendrikus De Vaan in CAMERA & STAGE. Last reply by Hendrikus De Vaan 3 hours ago. 10 Replies

Hi guys, I've been given some land to build on, and over the next two years I want to build a dedicated stopmotion animation studio, in Taranaki, New Zealand.The land I've been given restricts me to a build of 14m x 8.4 m. And my budget restricts me…Continue

Puppets with five fingers

Started by bigbossross in NEWBIE CORNER. Last reply by Ethan Bartholomae 18 hours ago. 1 Reply

I am planning a 1:6 scale foam latex puppet, and I have a wire armature made with five thin fingers. Very few puppets I see have more than 4 fingers, which imagine is due to a technical limitation.  I am wondering how hard it would be to align the…Continue

Foam latex puppet making - Oven types

Started by bigbossross in NEWBIE CORNER. Last reply by bigbossross 20 hours ago. 3 Replies

I am hoping to buy a tabletop oven specifically for baking foam latex puppets. From what I understand, you must use a convection oven, and I have found a large toaster/convection oven but am unsure if this type of oven will work for baking the…Continue

Vacant Planet - Picture Book made with Stop Mo puppets

Started by Chris Neuhahn in YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT. Last reply by StopmoNick 21 hours ago. 1 Reply

Hey everybody,I've been working a Stop Motion project called Vacant Planet. Its the story of robots left on earth after humans fled. Unfortunately I don't have the time to animate the…Continue

Software for making a workshop

Started by Marcs in STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS. Last reply by StopmoNick 21 hours ago. 3 Replies

Hallo friends,i will make a stopmotion-workshop at my University. I usually work with dragon frame and ask them if there are temporary licenses for the students. But there is just the option to buy licenses a litte cheaper. The students have to do a…Continue

Create a Blog for your personal page. Go to My Page and click on Blog Posts. Access all Blog Posts here.

© 2015   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}