Hello there!
Making my fist stop-motion movie and have some questions about technique. I wanna use tie-dows and wooden set to make puppets stay sturdy, but I don't quite understand how to put a cover down the set floor.

I mean, there are puppets feet and these holes for tie-downs in the set floor. Thus how do you guys do various kinds of the surface in your sets?

I would be grateful for any information about it.

Tags: cover, decoration, help, set, stage, tie-down

Views: 292

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hmmm ok so it sounds like maybe I should avoid magnets... unfortunately my computer lives at one end of my animating desk, so I'm reluctant to use rare earth magnets in case they have a disastrous effect on my hard drive!

Wallace Jones- the technique you suggested sounds like a really good idea.  I think my problem is that because my main character is a dog, it's paws are kind of underneath its body, so they would be hard to get to with a screwdriver without accidentally moving the puppet, if you see what I mean.  Although I do also have a human puppet in various scenes so I think I might try the technique you suggested with that character.  

Thank you both for the ideas and information, I'll have a think and let you know how I get on!  

I use screws from above when I have to move the puppet so far back that I can't reach both the puppet, and the tiedown underneath the set.  When my neck is pressed hard against the front edge of the particle board floor, then it's time for the screws going in from above.  With a human, I still might have to bend it a little bit out of the way for screwdriver access, then bend it back.  But with a quadruped like a  dog, I don't think it would work too well, the feet don't stick far out in front from the leg, and there is more than one other foot attached as well.  There are right-angle screwdrivers, or tools to mount the stubbly Philips head screwdriver bits into at a right-angle, but even those could struggle to work with a dog puppet because they are a bit bulky where the bit is attached.  Maybe if the screw goes in at a bit of an angle?   Tiedowns underneath the set is probably the best.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

MESSAGE BOARD QUICK LINKS

Message Board

Crystal clear substitute

Started by David Vance in NEWBIE CORNER. Last reply by Simon Tytherleigh 13 minutes ago. 3 Replies

Hey, I am just embarking on a new stop-motion project. The last film I made was on 16mm to give you an idea of how long it has been between drinks. I have made a sculpt of my protagonist and am ready to begin making a mold. All the research I have…Continue

Need Advice/Help!

Started by Lottie Holland in ARMATURES. Last reply by StopmoNick 9 hours ago. 4 Replies

Okay so I'm very new to this whole thing and pretty inexperienced. I'm taking on a 5-10 minute project which I want to produce to a fairly high standard, but I have limited resources. At the moment I'm favouring working with an armature.What I…Continue

Tags: armatures

Live Chat On AnimateClay.com Reminder

Started by Ron Cole in ANIMATOR TALK. Last reply by Ron Cole 10 hours ago. 229 Replies

Don't forget, on WEDNESDAYS (Thursdays on the first week of each month)  there's a…Continue

My blog

Started by Terry in ANIMATOR TALK 20 hours ago. 0 Replies

Hey everyone,I thought I'd share my blog, which is a behind the scenes look at some things I've been working on.Since it was primarily aimed at my facebook friends, I'd like to say the style is... informative yet vaguely amusing? The idea was to…Continue

New steel ball tech.........bye bye silver solder!!!

Started by Julian Clark in ARMATURES. Last reply by Simon Tytherleigh on Tuesday. 20 Replies

Been a while since last post, seems like I get less and less time to browse the stop-mo site!! I'm not an advocate of using this forum to promote my gear but I developed something really cool a while ago that's caused a few ripples in the armature…Continue

Drilling Technique

Started by Ibrahim Ali Albuainain in CAMERA & STAGE. Last reply by Ben Owora on Sunday. 7 Replies

Hello everyone,I am working on a stop motion project and I will be making an old village set with a flooring made out of a layer of plaster. I am afraid when we drill some holes during filming the plaster cracks and comes off the wooden base. Is…Continue

Photos

Loading…

Events

BLOGS

Create a Blog for your personal page. Go to My Page and click on Blog Posts. Access all Blog Posts here.

Members

© 2014   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}