Hello there!
Making my fist stop-motion movie and have some questions about technique. I wanna use tie-dows and wooden set to make puppets stay sturdy, but I don't quite understand how to put a cover down the set floor.

I mean, there are puppets feet and these holes for tie-downs in the set floor. Thus how do you guys do various kinds of the surface in your sets?

I would be grateful for any information about it.

Tags: cover, decoration, help, set, stage, tie-down

Views: 426

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hmmm ok so it sounds like maybe I should avoid magnets... unfortunately my computer lives at one end of my animating desk, so I'm reluctant to use rare earth magnets in case they have a disastrous effect on my hard drive!

Wallace Jones- the technique you suggested sounds like a really good idea.  I think my problem is that because my main character is a dog, it's paws are kind of underneath its body, so they would be hard to get to with a screwdriver without accidentally moving the puppet, if you see what I mean.  Although I do also have a human puppet in various scenes so I think I might try the technique you suggested with that character.  

Thank you both for the ideas and information, I'll have a think and let you know how I get on!  

I use screws from above when I have to move the puppet so far back that I can't reach both the puppet, and the tiedown underneath the set.  When my neck is pressed hard against the front edge of the particle board floor, then it's time for the screws going in from above.  With a human, I still might have to bend it a little bit out of the way for screwdriver access, then bend it back.  But with a quadruped like a  dog, I don't think it would work too well, the feet don't stick far out in front from the leg, and there is more than one other foot attached as well.  There are right-angle screwdrivers, or tools to mount the stubbly Philips head screwdriver bits into at a right-angle, but even those could struggle to work with a dog puppet because they are a bit bulky where the bit is attached.  Maybe if the screw goes in at a bit of an angle?   Tiedowns underneath the set is probably the best.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Puppet Putty

Puppet Putty is formulated by clay animator Don Carlson. Properties include colors that do not bleed on your hands, a matte finish, cleans up with water, is very light weight, firm, non-greasy and has a silky texture.

MESSAGE BOARD QUICK LINKS

Message Board

Cut paper feed back.

Started by Bethany Williams in YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT. Last reply by StopmoNick 3 hours ago. 2 Replies

Hey guys.I have just about finished a cut paper animation and I would really appreciate some feedback about what I can change. There is no title to begin with hence the blank 5 seconds at the beginning. I know I need to adjust some sound levels and…Continue

Little prince new version (with CG and STOPMO)

Started by Yagan in STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION. Last reply by Yagan 13 hours ago. 4 Replies

Just to show you a video about the new "Little prince" From st Exupery Moviehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ZVwa4yBuSDITrailer and clip…Continue

Dead Sleep crowd funding

Started by MidasClaw in YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT yesterday. 0 Replies

Only one day left in the Crowd Funding event for Dead Sleep. A stop motion Animation About a guy named Midas going in for a sleep experiment that is really a sinister experiment when he wakes up with undead Zombies allover the Lab. Can he survive…Continue

About Puppet Putty

Started by Antonio J. Cebrián in CLAY. Last reply by Don Carlson yesterday. 9 Replies

Hey, Don. I'm interested in trying your Puppet Putty clay. In the webshop there is a "translucent white", but I need "normal white". Do you have a "not translucent white?And another question: How much is shipping to Spain? How many blocks are the…Continue

Tags: clay, animacion, plastilina, putty, Puppet

Discrepancy in quality between After FX preview and rendered movie file

Started by Joe Blaxland in STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS. Last reply by Joe Blaxland yesterday. 23 Replies

Hello,The title sums up my problem really, but just to be clear I will elucidate. When working in After Fx CS4 with the pictured settings, the image is rich in colour and…Continue

Tags: rendering, FX, After

Mystery Clay (Pro-Clay vs. Monster Clay)

Started by Jason Whetzell in SCULPTING. Last reply by Don Carlson on Monday. 11 Replies

I really love waxed based clays like monster clay but I've always wanted it to be harder.I got a gift bag recently from my local FX shop (Frendsbeauty) and it had the perfect square of clay in it called..."Pro-Clay"They told me they discontinued it…Continue

Photos

Loading…

Events

BLOGS

Create a Blog for your personal page. Go to My Page and click on Blog Posts. Access all Blog Posts here.

Members

© 2015   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}