Greetings all,

I was active on here about 4 months ago and you guys were so helpful, thank you for that. Would anyone give me some advice on puppet hair? I am casting my first silicone puppet and am interested in punching the hair in. I keep hearing Laika doing this thing called brushing in silicone in the hair to give it movement when animated. Ya'll know anything about this? I'm trying to find info on this but seem to be searching the wrong thing.

Views: 161

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I didn't make it, so I can't tell you how.  I know it is 240v AC mains powered, and it you touch it any further forward than the black gaffer tape around it near the base, you get a massive shock that knocks you across the room!  There is a yellow plastic screw cap that I mistook for an adjustment knob, but it is actually a cap covering a contact where my friend was going to attach a loop of wire that would give an extra boost as the flocking shot outlast the rim of the cup.  He didn't, in the end, but the cap was still there.  Silly me, I touched it once while the thing was on.    It generates a high voltage, in the thousands of volts, don't remember the actual figure.    It seems to have a short inside it now when moisture from the atmosphere gets in so it isn't as effective as it used to be.  That's also why I have a piece of wood on the on-off switch on the metal box, so I don't touch it. 

I've wondered about how effective the battery powered flocking guns would be, since this one is only barely usable now.

that module Nick has is built with a high negative electrostatic discharge module. I have put a link in my previous reply. They work perfectly but they are pretty dangerous.

Wow! That sounds pretty scary. I think I'm going to stick to punching in hair and making wigs!

ok let's calm down a little. The generator i linked in is 20000V at 0.0000023 ma that means it is technically harmless unless you have a pacemaker or a sensitivity to electricity or you are crazy enough to test the thing by using it with wet hands. If you maintain the minimal AirGap ( 2mm/1000v) i think, you are safe. That is one of the reasons why Nick has that tape around his flocking device. Used carefully, and built very carefully with the required isolation and gaps, the tool works nicely and has no issue. I built one from an old CRT transformer hooked directly to mains and i still live to tell you the story.

On the other hand, there are professional flocking tools on E-bay like this one https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Flocking-Machine-Electrostatic-Flock-Ap... used by someone in Stan Winston with great success. There are many tools to choose from. No need to be afraid. All work on the same principle.

Regards,

JD

Thanks for all the info guys! It's going to take some experimenting but I know I will be taking the safest route possible. It's not worth risking your life making puppets! It's all fun and creativity on my end. I'll keep you guys updated as I'm experimenting. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

STOPMO JAM on Facebook

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

STOPMO NEWBIES
basic stopmo discussion

ANIMATOR TALK
experienced animators looking to improve

CAMERA & STAGE
animation camera, lighting and moco rigs

ANIMATION TOOLS & EQUIPMENT
animation tool and rigging discussion

STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS
frame capture, editing, and post-production

STORY
script, storyboarding and storyreel discussion

SOUND
lip-sync, sound effects and music

YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT
discuss your stopmo film

ARMATURES
ball & socket and wire armature discussion

MACHINE SHOP
metalwork tool & talk

SCULPTING
sculpture information and advice

HAIR & COSTUME
materials, patterns and technique

CASTING
foam, silicone and resin

CLAY
clay puppet construction

GENERAL PUPPET MAKING
other puppet fabrication issues

STOP MOTION SETS
set design and construction information

MODEL DEPARTMENT
miniature prop discussion

MATTE PAINTINGS
glass matte paintings and backgrounds

GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS

STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION

FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS

PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION

FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS

ANIMATION SCHOOLS

STOP MOTION BOOKS

STOP MOTION ON VIDEO

JOBS & PROJECTS
post here if you are looking for talent to hire

SWAP MEET
stop motion items for sale

CHAT BOARD
general discussion

SITE FEEDBACK
report bugs, comments and suggestions here

SPAM ALERT!

StopMotionAnimation.com has been hit hard by spammers lately. They have been creating several fake accounts every day, contacting and harassing members and posting suspicious content. If you see anything suspicious, don't click on any links, instead, send me their User Name. I will suspend them. 

Questions & Feedback
Report Spam or Abuse

© 2017   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}