Hello all!

I use a Canon T4i for my stop motion but am getting ready to upgrade to a better camera. Like the 5D Mark ii or maybe even the Mark iv. But I've noticed the growing popularity and success of mirrorless cameras. I have a FujiFilm X100 that I just love for street photography and am wondering if I should jump off the Canon train and join the FujiFilm club with the X-T2. But I want to get what is best for making stop motion.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Has anyone had experience shooting stop motion with an X-T2?

Thank you!

Views: 157

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Collin,

I'm wondering the same thing!

What I'm really keen on is even though the sensors are not as big as the 5D's, I have a feeling it might be just fine for stop-mo.

I wonder how the overheating works with this, since it would be awful to have to touch the camera mid-shoot to turn it on again, or does it work like Canons, that can be turned on via Dragonframe? :o 

I'm quite interested in having a manual aperture lens, to reduce flickering, and the compatibility it may have with a lot of old lenses because it is a mirrorless camera intrigues me, I'd love to hear anything more people might have to see on this subject <3

Any disadvantages? Any advantages?

I use several cameras, including a fuji XT-1, XE-1, Canon 6D and a pair of Sony A7 cameras. By far my favorite is the original Sony A7 with Nikon adapted lenses.  The articulating screen is awfully handy, when setup with the Sony AC adapter (third party ones were problematic) it will stay powered for months at a time without issue. The 24mp sensor is excellent, and they are rock solid in reliability.

The Canon 6D has been proven to be problematic at times. 

Disclaimer, I dont do stop motion. But i do run several dragonframe powered moco rigs for botanical studio timelapse. 

Interesting :) great to know it doesn't overheat for months, I had issues with Canon's overheating on me... But to be honest we were on a room with lots of lights mid summer, so it makes sense that it happened.

Have you tried time lapsing on your XT-1? :)

Yeah the XT-1 works great, it has always been a solid camera and one of my favorite cameras to shoot with. I prefer the sonys for 2 reasons

1) 16mp vs 24. I do a lot of macro work and like the ability to be able to crop in more on 24 vs 16. Especially since i try to produce as much 4k footage as possible.

2) while i love the colors the Fuji produces, i prefer the RAW output of the Sony and Canon over the Fuji. With their x-trans array the raw files are a little more difficult to work with. Also, filming plants, that's a lot of green, and ive had some challanges getting the green to "gear down" if you know what I mean. 

If i was just out shooting I would take the Fuji over the sony. Its a wonderful camera, weather sealed, and its a blast to shoot full manual thanks to the dedicated controls. The Fuji lenses are amazing too!

I really do prefer the A7 though when it comes to the studio work. :)

Thanks for that info @Biolapse :D Those are fair points.

It does seem like all the cameras are good on each own way, but it's great to know where are their strengths :)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

STOPMO JAM on Facebook

Tom Brierton's Kickstarter

A dragon teaches her child how to fly, but in doing so, realizes that her training will come at a price.

All or nothing. This project will only be funded if it reaches its goal by Mon, November 13 2017 5:23 PM PST.

BLOGS

Create a Blog for your personal page. Go to My Page and click on Blog Posts. Access all Blog Posts here.

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

STOPMO NEWBIES
basic stopmo discussion

ANIMATOR TALK
experienced animators looking to improve

CAMERA & STAGE
animation camera, lighting and moco rigs

ANIMATION TOOLS & EQUIPMENT
animation tool and rigging discussion

STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS
frame capture, editing, and post-production

STORY
script, storyboarding and storyreel discussion

SOUND
lip-sync, sound effects and music

YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT
discuss your stopmo film

ARMATURES
ball & socket and wire armature discussion

MACHINE SHOP
metalwork tool & talk

SCULPTING
sculpture information and advice

HAIR & COSTUME
materials, patterns and technique

CASTING
foam, silicone and resin

CLAY
clay puppet construction

GENERAL PUPPET MAKING
other puppet fabrication issues

STOP MOTION SETS
set design and construction information

MODEL DEPARTMENT
miniature prop discussion

MATTE PAINTINGS
glass matte paintings and backgrounds

GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS

STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION

FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS

PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION

FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS

ANIMATION SCHOOLS

STOP MOTION BOOKS

STOP MOTION ON VIDEO

JOBS & PROJECTS
post here if you are looking for talent to hire

SWAP MEET
stop motion items for sale

CHAT BOARD
general discussion

SITE FEEDBACK
report bugs, comments and suggestions here

SPAM ALERT!

StopMotionAnimation.com has been hit hard by spammers lately. They have been creating several fake accounts every day, contacting and harassing members and posting suspicious content. If you see anything suspicious, don't click on any links, instead, send me their User Name. I will suspend them. 

Questions & Feedback
Report Spam or Abuse

© 2017   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}