...and other sexy stuff!

Seriously: can anyone suggest a good (and reasonably priced) release agent for a stone (crystacal r) mould, to be used for foam latex? Do i really need a release agent? For that matter, do i need to seal the mould as well/instead?

Enquiring mind needs answers!

Views: 41

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

As I understand it, the porosity of the stone mould helps to bake off the excess moisture in the foam latex as it sets up into a "solid" piece. Sealing it would make that task more difficult and less effective.

Release agent comes with the foam latex kit.  But as an alternative, I use a soap solution.  

Shave some shavings from a bar of plain soap into a small container of hot water.  (Probably less than 1/8th of a bar, not much really.) As it cools it will become thicker, if it is too thick you may need to add some more water, you don't want it to set solid.  I brush that onto the plaster moulds (Ultracal and Hydrostone are the ones I can get here.)  I usually do a second coat.  it sinks into the plaster and doesn't leave  thick coating, but works as a release. I also use it for casting silicone in plaster moulds.   When the foam latex cast is cured and I take it out, I wash it in warm water, squeeze it, then leave it hanging to dry overnight.   That washes the soap residue off the surface.  I find it comes off more easily than the standard release agent in the kit, which avoids problems with the paint not sticking.

It does not seem to seal the plaster, so steam still evaporates through the plaster.

so release agent is basically soap? Maybe we are being 'soft-soaped' by the suppliers then, who charge a LOT for it, and it isn't always included in the kit.

thanks guys, i'll give it a go...

Yes, soap is the stuff!

It can also be used when casting silicone in a plaster mould.

When sculpting and creating the mould, I use a clay slip to ensure two plaster halves will separate. Vaseline does work, but will not go smooth, so if you get it on your sculpt, it can leave little lines.

The release agent you get with the foam kit contains Stearic Acid, so it is a sort of pearly white colour.  I did buy some stearic acid once and made some up, following a recipe, but soap works just as well.  

Reply to Discussion

RSS

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

STOPMO NEWBIES
basic stopmo discussion

ANIMATOR TALK
experienced animators looking to improve

CAMERA & STAGE
animation camera, lighting and moco rigs

ANIMATION TOOLS & EQUIPMENT
animation tool and rigging discussion

STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS
frame capture, editing, and post-production

STORY
script, storyboarding and storyreel discussion

SOUND
lip-sync, sound effects and music

YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT
discuss your stopmo film

ARMATURES
ball & socket and wire armature discussion

MACHINE SHOP
metalwork tool & talk

SCULPTING
sculpture information and advice

HAIR & COSTUME
materials, patterns and technique

CASTING
foam, silicone and resin

CLAY
clay puppet construction

GENERAL PUPPET MAKING
other puppet fabrication issues

STOP MOTION SETS
set design and construction information

MODEL DEPARTMENT
miniature prop discussion

MATTE PAINTINGS
glass matte paintings and backgrounds

GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS

STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION

FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS

PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION

FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS

ANIMATION SCHOOLS

STOP MOTION BOOKS

STOP MOTION ON VIDEO

JOBS & PROJECTS
post here if you are looking for talent to hire

SWAP MEET
stop motion items for sale

CHAT BOARD
general discussion

SITE FEEDBACK
report bugs, comments and suggestions here

Latest Activity

Ian Harding commented on Amy Etheridge's video
58 minutes ago
Amy Etheridge commented on Amy Etheridge's video
1 hour ago
Ian Harding commented on Amy Etheridge's video
Thumbnail

Eyevolution- Part 1- A Paper Cutout Stop Motion Animation

"Hi, Amy, Amazing work, as always, beautifully created paper cut outs, very bold and colourful, so…"
10 hours ago
Amy Etheridge posted a video

Eyevolution- Part 1- A Paper Cutout Stop Motion Animation

Azara Zai finds herself in a strange place surrounded by many eye-like oddities. This is the first part of a multi-part animation. If you would like to see w...
11 hours ago

© 2019   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}