Hey guys! I know from experience that you can mix existing colors of Plasticine to get clay to get new colors. Do you guys know how to make flesh-colored clay?

Views: 1036

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Nick- A friend in Canada had that very same idea! I'm not sure if making it flat would work, because it's measured by weight for each mailing classification. But it wouldn't hurt to try. It's kind of funny- after spending all this time on packaging because it seemed like that's what people wanted, it might be easier and better in the long run to simply make it as flat as possible and maybe put a logo on top. Not as glamorous, but if it saves you money...

Looked into flattening the clay. The price is still $23.50, even if it's an A4 envelope...I selected "small Flat-Rate DVD box" after that, and... same deal. The shipping is based on weight, and whether it's a flat rate DVD box, A4 envelope, or small flat rate box, it's still $23.50 (online) for Flat Rate. The $38 Marc quoted is probably for larger orders. Neither of us want the shipping to be any higher than it has to be. We do not make any profit off of shipping.  No idea where to go from here...Feeling pretty sunk.

Just got back from the post office. The guy said that there were restrictions, with regard to foldability of the packaging, etc. But he said that if I can get the clay into a thin envelope, it will cost about $16.00 for up to 1lb (454 grams). That would accommodate two packs. I'm working on 3-color multipacks, so that you can get more colors for the same amount of money. Each color is 1/3 of a full pack (approx. 2.3 oz with a volume of about 40% more than that). 

Still costs more to ship than the clay itself, but getting better!

Don't feel too down, your main market would be in the US anyway.  

I can think of one more business model -  you have local agents in Canada, Europe, wherever, who make up the clay according to your formula, but are bound by a NDA to not reveal it, or steal it to make their own product.  Orders and payment could still go through Marc's webstore, then the local agent gets paid with a cut taken out of it.  But maybe it would work better to just bulk ship it to the agents in different regions, then they post it to buyers nearby.

There may not be a big enough market for this much hassle, there are only a few stop motion animators, and only a few of those are clay animators.  And only some of the clay animators are not in the US.  I'm not one but thought I'd like to give your puppet putty a try anyway.

Interesting idea there, Nick! I agree, it's lower than the previous quote, but still not quite there yet...Well, a big name in stop motion asked for a sample, so I sent that out yesterday, and the store where I buy some of the clay ingredients is promoting Marc's video review, figuring it would be a cool tie-in, as he could tell potential customers that one of his longtime customers made clay out of his products. He also said he was interested in making shelf space for it and working out a business deal. He's technically retail, so that would make the first brick and mortar store to ever carry Puppet Putty. He suggested I look into marketing it as an encaustic wax for painting. Might not even have to change the formula...So, there's one market I never even thought about. Painters...

Reply to Discussion

RSS

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

STOPMO NEWBIES
basic stopmo discussion

ANIMATOR TALK
experienced animators looking to improve

CAMERA & STAGE
animation camera, lighting and moco rigs

ANIMATION TOOLS & EQUIPMENT
animation tool and rigging discussion

STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS
frame capture, editing, and post-production

STORY
script, storyboarding and storyreel discussion

SOUND
lip-sync, sound effects and music

YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT
discuss your stopmo film

ARMATURES
ball & socket and wire armature discussion

MACHINE SHOP
metalwork tool & talk

SCULPTING
sculpture information and advice

HAIR & COSTUME
materials, patterns and technique

CASTING
foam, silicone and resin

CLAY
clay puppet construction

GENERAL PUPPET MAKING
other puppet fabrication issues

STOP MOTION SETS
set design and construction information

MODEL DEPARTMENT
miniature prop discussion

MATTE PAINTINGS
glass matte paintings and backgrounds

GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS

STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION

FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS

PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION

FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS

ANIMATION SCHOOLS

STOP MOTION BOOKS

STOP MOTION ON VIDEO

JOBS & PROJECTS
post here if you are looking for talent to hire

SWAP MEET
stop motion items for sale

CHAT BOARD
general discussion

SITE FEEDBACK
report bugs, comments and suggestions here

Latest Activity

justin rasch replied to Larry Arpin's discussion Jim Danforth's West of Kashmir fx footage
"awesome!"
12 hours ago
justin rasch replied to Ron Cole's discussion A Bit Of Realistic Stopmo In a Live Action Short
"This has probably been out forever! been years since i have been back here....Looks GREAT!! Love…"
12 hours ago
Juan Quirós posted a video

Planeta Chimæra Parte 1 La bienvenida (stop motion/ Animatoste) Subtitled

La primera parte de esta aventura, donde Vrillon un ser interdimensional entra por primera vez al Planeta Chimæra First part of this adventure, where Vrillon...
15 hours ago
Tyson Van Wagoner commented on felicia rose's photo
Thumbnail

Father

"LOVELY! DO you have a tutorial on how you did the clothing by chance? This is exactly what I'm…"
yesterday

© 2020   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}