Would you guy's want to give some feedback on my video's on what i could improve, what's wrong etc about my video's?

Thanks if you take the time for it because i really want to make good video's but i cant improve anything if people don't tell me whats wrong with them. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIBH-NaZaaE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqFMa_fuX0Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjwKL3xFdK4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiTZrxE7RKI

And here i stopped so i wouldn't make the page slower and longer than needed, i have a couple of older video's on my channel if you would want to watch them. Also if you go to the video you can see the stuff i wanted to do and would like to get feedback on.

Thx ;)

Views: 210

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Some nice early efforts there - looks like what most of us did in the beginning. 

In order to improve what you need to do is start learning about how animation is done by amateurs and professionals - you can do that by spending some time here on the site and browsing through a lot of threads, and also by getting some good books on the subject and watching tutorials. 

I'm about to make some lunch, but I'll drop a few brief tips in here before I do - then later I'll link to some good resources. 

First, I hope you're no longer making puppets form Play-Dough. It dries out very quickly and turns rock hard - not good for animation. For clay animation you want plasticene, which is oil based and never dries out. 

Your puppets will be able to walk around and move much better once you start putting simple wire armatures inside. 

You should use stop motion software (a framegrabber) and shoot at a frame rate of at least 12 frames per second. 

Just sorting out these few simple things will make a dramatic improvement - and then you can get on to the really good stuff such as learning the principles of animation. 

Ok, sorry to just throw out those suggestions with no links - but I'll add some links as soon as I'm not hungry anymore. 

Ok, here's a pretty decent demo on making a wire armture. I don't completley agree with every choice he makes, but most of them seem fine, and its a good way to start out:

Here's a page listing all known stopmotion software (framegrabbers): http://www.stopmotionworks.com/stopmosoftwr.htm

You can download a free trial version of any of them to test out before deciding which one you want to use - some are free, some inexpensive, and they range all the way up to expensive professional packages. You should be fine starting off with a freebie like Monkeyjam. 

Also, a great site that focuses on clay animation is www.Animateclay.com - Marc Spess' site. Here we deal mainly with rubber puppets, though many of us do use clay - but Marc's site is specifically oriented on clay. 

Here's a link to the Stopmotion Handbook on this site: http://www.stopmotionanimation.com/page/the-stop-motion-handbook

... a lot of the links won't work because they go to the old site, which is gone now. But the external links will work, and many of the chapters contain an overview that can be very helpful. There's an article in the handbook by Marc Spess about making armatures for clay puppets, as well as many more good articles - inlcuding one on the Principles of Animation, which are the same no matter what kind of animation you're doing. Well - most of them are anyway - you have to bear in mind these were created by Disney animators in the 30's and some of them are specifically for drawn animation and won't apply to stopmotion. Pay particular attention to the link for the Animated Cartoon Factory near the end, with examples of different principles in action - excellent stuff!! 

I just watched the first video, the animated cow.  Love the character design, especially the cow's face!

With the animation, there are some little glitches, like the light level changing, and the camera moving around, that are a bit distracting.  If it's an automatic, point and shoot camera, it will keep changing the focus and exposure every time you go to move the puppet, so that's the result you get.  If there are manual settings so it stays the same, use them.   If you can't do anything about that for now, that's ok, you can still practice and get better, worry about it later when you get more skilled at the animation.   But even now, it will help if you can keep that camera still - on a tripod, even a cheap one, if possible.  (And then you have to make sure you never bump into it, something I still have trouble with after animating for a few hours.)

Like Play-Doh, Fimo is not really the right kind of clay.  If you want to do clay animation, you want plasticine.   So considering you made it difficult for yourself, you did pretty well.

I'm not a clay animator, I prefer to make foam and wire puppets, a bit like that video that Strider posted.  So I can't give much advice about making better clay puppets.  What little clay animation I did was kept simple, just the clay itself.    But in general, for all animation, I think you want to use a high framerate - 12 frames per second (which is half of the film speed of 24 fps) as a minimum to get smooth motion, and to let you work on how far to move each frame, and how to Ease-In and Ease-Out of a move (one of those Principles of Animation).   I work at 24 frames per second for film, 25 fps for the European PAL video standard, but "shooting on twos" which i half as many moves per second, still gives pretty good results.  That's where the framegrabber software really helps you get get better, because you can see the amount you moved each frame.

Just watched Talking Guy, the lip synch on the one word was good, I wanted to see more!  

Keep at it!

Thanks for the good feedback and kind words.
Now i'll only need a idea to make something and the right clay...

I wonder whats harder to find... :p

hahaha very funny cow! i like your style
i have a video i was hoping i could get some feedback on too! here it is http://youtu.be/cO3nrGOs0GM let me know what you think

Reply to Discussion

RSS

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

STOPMO NEWBIES
basic stopmo discussion

ANIMATOR TALK
experienced animators looking to improve

CAMERA & STAGE
animation camera, lighting and moco rigs

ANIMATION TOOLS & EQUIPMENT
animation tool and rigging discussion

STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS
frame capture, editing, and post-production

STORY
script, storyboarding and storyreel discussion

SOUND
lip-sync, sound effects and music

YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT
discuss your stopmo film

ARMATURES
ball & socket and wire armature discussion

MACHINE SHOP
metalwork tool & talk

SCULPTING
sculpture information and advice

HAIR & COSTUME
materials, patterns and technique

CASTING
foam, silicone and resin

CLAY
clay puppet construction

GENERAL PUPPET MAKING
other puppet fabrication issues

STOP MOTION SETS
set design and construction information

MODEL DEPARTMENT
miniature prop discussion

MATTE PAINTINGS
glass matte paintings and backgrounds

GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS

STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION

FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS

PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION

FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS

ANIMATION SCHOOLS

STOP MOTION BOOKS

STOP MOTION ON VIDEO

JOBS & PROJECTS
post here if you are looking for talent to hire

SWAP MEET
stop motion items for sale

CHAT BOARD
general discussion

SITE FEEDBACK
report bugs, comments and suggestions here

Latest Activity

StopmoNick replied to Alonso Soriano's discussion Cosclay
"I have seen a couple of flexible modelling materials before, and they were actually pretty firm.…"
38 minutes ago
StopmoNick replied to Ben Young's discussion Armature and Casting advice for movable animal ears
"Ox animation is full of life!  Kind of like an eager puppy, which I wasn't expecting with…"
56 minutes ago
Count Croc replied to Count Croc's discussion My newest monster
"It's really more of a mandible type deal rather than a jaw."
6 hours ago
Simon Tytherleigh replied to Ben Young's discussion Armature and Casting advice for movable animal ears
"Hey, they look great! I especially like the Ox, who has bags of character. The goat-kid is nice…"
10 hours ago

© 2019   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}