Hi guys,

I'm working on my new puppet film and this time the characters have dialogues, which I haven't done before. 
The puppets are made from silicone and I'm looking for a face armature, something like they made in Corpse Bride (in the pictures).
I think it has a kind of organic feel, and the puppet's face can be made from silicone in one peace.
So I wanted to find out more about this method before I turn to 3D printing or other replacements methods.
Do you guys know who makes these armatures or can explain about this method and it's pros and cons?
Thank you,

Views: 563

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think these were made by Mackinnon and Saunders (correct me if I'm wrong) Does Se-ma-for make this type of armature as well?  Looks like Andy Gent created similar for Isle of Dogs and Fantastic Mr. Fox.

The pros are that you can achieve very subtle organic animation. 

The cons are that the expressions become quite limited because they are pretty baked into the faces.  I was told they had a hard time getting many of the mouth shapes; like the oo's and m's.  You can see what they are able to get in Corpse Bride and Frankenweenie.  Also, very few people make them and they are expensive.  A lot cheaper is to do a similar idea using wire inside the face instead of the mechanical parts and paddles.

Is that what you do Nick Hillagos?

Thank you, I'l check more about all the guys you mentioned.

We make wire armatures for facial expressions (not for lipsink yet..) like in this picture.

But I find it difficult to place them in the exact position inside the mold during casting. Somehow it always moves and after casting the wires are not exactly in the right place. Either they are too low or too high, too much inside the face or almost visible on the surface. And when I add teeth to it or more wires it's even harder to place them.

Also the amount of expressions that can be produced with it is limited, like you mentioned about the mechanical armatures.

Are there better techniques to make them? maybe something with more options of expressions?

Attachments:

I use wire in a block of wood for face movements, very similar to that photo.

I did have trouble placing the wires perfectly, until I started making a removable neck block to put the neck wires into, with the mould formed on that block as well as the clay sculpture.  The head block is small enough that I can see into the face and tell when the wires are sitting right. I paint some silicone into the mould to make a skin first, then when that is set I pour a little silicone into the front half, just enough so when i place the head armature, using the chest block to locate it just right, the mouth and eyebrow wires are partly covered by silicone.  When that sets, I can slip the neck block off, put the back of the mould on, and pour the rest of the silicone through the neck.  The wires are locked into the silicone, so they stay in place.  I'm getting the wires much better placed than when I was casting heads in foam latex.  You can see the process in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fWdZnQRzB0

if you look in the armature section here I have some mechanical heads I made

Reply to Discussion

RSS

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

STOPMO NEWBIES
basic stopmo discussion

ANIMATOR TALK
experienced animators looking to improve

CAMERA & STAGE
animation camera, lighting and moco rigs

ANIMATION TOOLS & EQUIPMENT
animation tool and rigging discussion

STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS
frame capture, editing, and post-production

STORY
script, storyboarding and storyreel discussion

SOUND
lip-sync, sound effects and music

YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT
discuss your stopmo film

ARMATURES
ball & socket and wire armature discussion

MACHINE SHOP
metalwork tool & talk

SCULPTING
sculpture information and advice

HAIR & COSTUME
materials, patterns and technique

CASTING
foam, silicone and resin

CLAY
clay puppet construction

GENERAL PUPPET MAKING
other puppet fabrication issues

STOP MOTION SETS
set design and construction information

MODEL DEPARTMENT
miniature prop discussion

MATTE PAINTINGS
glass matte paintings and backgrounds

GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS

STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION

FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS

PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION

FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS

ANIMATION SCHOOLS

STOP MOTION BOOKS

STOP MOTION ON VIDEO

JOBS & PROJECTS
post here if you are looking for talent to hire

SWAP MEET
stop motion items for sale

CHAT BOARD
general discussion

SITE FEEDBACK
report bugs, comments and suggestions here

Gumby Imagined, The Story of Art Clokey and His Creations

The ultimate Gumby retrospective packed with incredible photos and never-before-shared stories. Written by Art Clokey's children, Joan and Joe Clokey, this is the most comprehensive book ever published on Gumby, Davey and Goliath and their creator Art Clokey, a pioneer in stop-motion animation.

stopmo jam on Instagram

© 2019   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}