Hi just wondering whats the best way to export my scene from dragonframe onto final cut x?

Ive been exporting movie( via dragonframe), is there a better way in terms of quality?

thanks

Views: 383

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If you export an Image Sequence you should get the best quality. If it is bigger than 1920 x 1080 then you can either shrink to fit or select a portion of the frame, so you have lots of control.

I use Premiere, and export RAW images through Photoshop, where I can tweak the exposure etc., exporting them from there as jpegs just a bit larger than what I need. Should work for FCP too.

ok thanks Simon, i might look at getting photoshop, fcp x just seems to work with the movie files, ill try exporting an image sequence next time. cheers

I use FCP6, and it doesn't seem to work with image sequences (like a folder of jpgs or other image files, numbered Image001.jpg etc ), so I use another program to convert the images into a .mov file.   Then I open Final Cut Pro and import the file.  At the moment I'm using the AppleProRes codec - Uncompressed HD seems to be a bit more than my 6 year old Mac Pro can play in real time once there is more than about 3 seconds worth, the Pro Res plays well and still looks good.

I don't export from Dragonframe - no need, the images are already there in a folder, saved each time you take a frame.  I just use other software to import those images.  But if you don't have other software that can crop to 16:9 and shrink it down, I guess you need to export.  When I was working for another animator using Dragon, she did export lower res versions of each shot for a rough edit, but not the final high quality versions.  I found that the lower res versions she exported for putting in the rough edit would often come out a slightly different size than specified - just a few pixels off.   So watch out for that. 

If I have been shooting Fine Jpegs, I import them into TV Paint for re-sizing, wire removal, and adding or deleting frames and other fix-ups.  Then I export as a QT movie.

If I shoot Raw, I import them into After Effects, which opens a little window where I can adjust colour and exposure before they are converted and go into AE.   

Adobe have gone over to a sort of rental system now, where you pay a monthly fee instead of buying it once - not something I can justify, since my films don't make any money.  So I still use older versions from about 5 years ago.  I think this applies to the full version of Photoshop as well as After Effects or Premiere Pro, but not to Photoshop Elements.  Last time I checked PS and AE together would be about $40 a month.

Thanks for the info stopmoNick! 40 bucks a month isn't a path that i'd like to go down, i'd rather pay it outright.Might look for another option.Whats the program you use to convert your images for final cut? Is TV paint a free program?

Thanks

I use Lightroom to batch process the images for color correction and cropping, then Quicktime Pro to assemble them into a video file for editing. I have a tutorial video posted in this thread (Link). Both very inexpensive programs. 

Sean, You can simply import your still images directly into FCP. You don't need an intermediate program! I don't know what everyone else is talking about, and you don't need to spend any extra money on another program. Do this: In FCP X File/Import Media navigate to your DragonFrame folder. Select ALL the stills from your GREEN folder. Once imported, drag all those stills into your timeline. By default, FCP makes all the stills 10 seconds long. That's too long. Select all the stills. Hit Command D 1 or Command D 2 (depending of if you are shooting on ones or twos) Place the playhead on the first frame. Hit the I key. (In) Move the playhead to the last frame. Hit the O key (out) Export that as a Quicktime movie. Use the ProRes 422 HQ Codec so you will not have any compression. Import the new quicktime movie into your project and use FCP X tools to color correct, crop, whatever. It's simple. Fast. Free. You do not lose ANY quality!

I hope that helps. Good luck!

Dawn

Thanks Dawn, it seems there's many ways to do this, your instructions sound like the way to do it.ok i'll give it a go, haven't had heaps of experience with FCPx but it sounds easier enough. Thanks Dawn
Dawn Brown said:

Sean, You can simply import your still images directly into FCP. You don't need an intermediate program! I don't know what everyone else is talking about, and you don't need to spend any extra money on another program. Do this: In FCP X File/Import Media navigate to your DragonFrame folder. Select ALL the stills from your GREEN folder. Once imported, drag all those stills into your timeline. By default, FCP makes all the stills 10 seconds long. That's too long. Select all the stills. Hit Command D 1 or Command D 2 (depending of if you are shooting on ones or twos) Place the playhead on the first frame. Hit the I key. (In) Move the playhead to the last frame. Hit the O key (out) Export that as a Quicktime movie. Use the ProRes 422 HQ Codec so you will not have any compression. Import the new quicktime movie into your project and use FCP X tools to color correct, crop, whatever. It's simple. Fast. Free. You do not lose ANY quality!

I hope that helps. Good luck!

Dawn

Thanks Strider,sounds like lots of ways to tackle this. Might try within FCPX first.but thanks for the link 
Strider said:

I use Lightroom to batch process the images for color correction and cropping, then Quicktime Pro to assemble them into a video file for editing. I have a tutorial video posted in this thread (Link). Both very inexpensive programs. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

STOPMO NEWBIES
basic stopmo discussion

ANIMATOR TALK
experienced animators looking to improve

CAMERA & STAGE
animation camera, lighting and moco rigs

ANIMATION TOOLS & EQUIPMENT
animation tool and rigging discussion

STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS
frame capture, editing, and post-production

STORY
script, storyboarding and storyreel discussion

SOUND
lip-sync, sound effects and music

YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT
discuss your stopmo film

ARMATURES
ball & socket and wire armature discussion

MACHINE SHOP
metalwork tool & talk

SCULPTING
sculpture information and advice

HAIR & COSTUME
materials, patterns and technique

CASTING
foam, silicone and resin

CLAY
clay puppet construction

GENERAL PUPPET MAKING
other puppet fabrication issues

STOP MOTION SETS
set design and construction information

MODEL DEPARTMENT
miniature prop discussion

MATTE PAINTINGS
glass matte paintings and backgrounds

GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS

STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION

FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS

PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION

FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS

ANIMATION SCHOOLS

STOP MOTION BOOKS

STOP MOTION ON VIDEO

JOBS & PROJECTS
post here if you are looking for talent to hire

SWAP MEET
stop motion items for sale

CHAT BOARD
general discussion

SITE FEEDBACK
report bugs, comments and suggestions here

Latest Activity

StopmoNick posted a discussion

1 minute film finished

I just posted what was meant to be an entry for the One Minute Film Club (FB group) which gives you…See More
2 hours ago
Geoff Clark replied to Geoff Clark's discussion Tragic Magic, my stop-motion film
"Hi James,   I dont' know about the LCD or LED lights you refer to; the key here is that…"
3 hours ago
James Krysa commented on Sander's video
Thumbnail

Micro Massacre

"This is awesome, so great, funny, excellent choice of music.. I wish I had done something like this…"
8 hours ago
James Krysa replied to Geoff Clark's discussion Tragic Magic, my stop-motion film
"Hey Geoff, I just read your above post and followed all your links, and to the wonder wall…"
8 hours ago

© 2020   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}