I caught myself staring at Mike Please's Instagram post today for a spot his Parabella Studios did:

Liquorice Allsorts - Maynards Bassetts from Parabella on Vimeo.

I'm pretty sure the only way to do something like this is a single, bold light source and a ton of rigging to support just about every single piece of candy individually (of course with the exception of some shots where they could feed an armature through several pieces, like the worm at the end). I'm posting because it sort of blows my mind. I know our medium takes patience and time, but to do something like this, which looks close in scope to Anthony Scott's Gumby spot really seems like it would take lots and lots of post-production rig elimination. Especially from the shadow. Does anyone else see any other way they could have done this?

Views: 769

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I keep watching it and am wondering if they fed a green screened wire through the liquorice puppets while they are dancing and keyed out the joints in post. Their movements are just too precise. Does anyone have any experience with doing something like that?

That doesn't change the need to do tons of rigging and elimination when the puppets break apart into pieces, I don't think.

I think this is CGI

I'm willing to put lots of good money on it being stop mo. The team behind it is capable of this. This is all sculpted styrofoam and mostly using the replacement method.

Marilyn Myller from Parabella on Vimeo.

Thanks for sharing these. I reckon what they have done is to animate the whole figures as puppets, then switch to CGI for the exploding/regrouping sections.

Thanks Steven! Glad you like the spot. I can, hand on heart, say that it's all stopmotion, no CGi involved. Even the transitions. There is, however, as you rightly observe, excessive eye bleeding rig removal.  We pretty much took each frame into photoshop and then final comping's done in After effects. Hope that clears that up some. Check out the parabella instagram for some behind the scenes stuff. Thanks again! Mikey. 

How freaking cool. I really hope to be on your level one day!

Mikey.  This is amazing!  You are a MAGICIAN among magicians.

Hah, just saw that photo on facebook and was about to share it here myself XD. Congrats on the outstanding scene!! 

Really an amazing work!

really great! I think I enjoyed watching the the raw vid with the rig in on your facebook page even more though.

https://www.facebook.com/mikey.please.animation/?fref=nf

the explosion into bits rigs look insane!

Mikey Please said:

MIkey's instagram has a great video of the process.

here

It's really incredible and amazing the work put into this piece!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

STOPMO NEWBIES
basic stopmo discussion

ANIMATOR TALK
experienced animators looking to improve

CAMERA & STAGE
animation camera, lighting and moco rigs

ANIMATION TOOLS & EQUIPMENT
animation tool and rigging discussion

STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS
frame capture, editing, and post-production

STORY
script, storyboarding and storyreel discussion

SOUND
lip-sync, sound effects and music

YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT
discuss your stopmo film

ARMATURES
ball & socket and wire armature discussion

MACHINE SHOP
metalwork tool & talk

SCULPTING
sculpture information and advice

HAIR & COSTUME
materials, patterns and technique

CASTING
foam, silicone and resin

CLAY
clay puppet construction

GENERAL PUPPET MAKING
other puppet fabrication issues

STOP MOTION SETS
set design and construction information

MODEL DEPARTMENT
miniature prop discussion

MATTE PAINTINGS
glass matte paintings and backgrounds

GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS

STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION

FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS

PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION

FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS

ANIMATION SCHOOLS

STOP MOTION BOOKS

STOP MOTION ON VIDEO

JOBS & PROJECTS
post here if you are looking for talent to hire

SWAP MEET
stop motion items for sale

CHAT BOARD
general discussion

SITE FEEDBACK
report bugs, comments and suggestions here

Latest Activity

wangrui posted a blog post

I meanI put a diamond contract NBA 2K

You are able to purchase"contracts" rather than use real contracts. Begin a new lineup and …See More
5 hours ago
Jeremy Yoder replied to Jeremy Yoder's discussion Willis O’Brien Recommendations
"Thank you for the recommendations. I appreciate it."
15 hours ago
Betty Jordon commented on Rory Thomas's blog post Download Any Images and Videos from Instagram
"Such methods are very convenient for downloading all kinds of materials from Instagram. It…"
16 hours ago
StopmoNick replied to Jeremy Yoder's discussion Willis O’Brien Recommendations
"Other films that O'Brien did effects and animation for - 1. The Lost World, a 1925 silent…"
22 hours ago

© 2020   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}