I thought I would add a couple of pics on here to show some helmets I have made from 2mm EVA foam. They are glued together with contact adhesive, then coated with thinned PVA to fill the texture and finally coloured with acrylics. Rivets are just latex blobs. It has worked really well and the helmets are very lightweight. The trick is to cut the pieces from paper first, then transfer the shape to the foam.
They look great! Well done!
That's exactly it. I got the idea after watching some cosplay armour videos on YouTube, and reckoned it would translate well into smaller scale. The lobster tail helmet has a top made in sections like portions of an orange, so I just had to cut up enough bits of paper to get the curve right.
The final result is fairly robust, if a little flexible to behave like solid metal. Gluing some blackwrap inside would likely help it to stay more rigid.
I am sure that EVA foam could be used for lots of props and bits and pieces. Cheap and easy to work!