Hello ,well...i have a problem...,probably you can help me with it

I used epoxy to hold the nut into the wire but it does not support the great strength of the joint and it broke

Did you know another material ? (I've seen metal plates but that's very expensive and difficult for me)

Thanks for reading me

Views: 56

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If this is for a foot hold-down, then try using T-nuts, which have a flange and the wire can be wrapped round it. The shape of the foot can be filed to shape after gluing. You should also use metal epoxy, not just epoxy putty. Glue the wire on, then add some putty over the top if needed. 

Here is a tip that few people know about. Epoxy goes on hardening throughout its life, and you can increase the strength of it by something called post-curing. In practice this means leaving the items on a radiator for a day or so after the glue has set. It is possible to make it up to 20% stronger this way!

Another tip is to roughen the nut a little, but don't do that to the wire or you will weaken it.

wao, you are very kind, I am a rookie everything impresses me hehe

Well, the T-nut does not help me because the foot tries to follow the design of a normal foot, I mean almost flat (if it is too high it would become cartoonish and not realistic)

I wonder if with wire, epoxy version metal, and a small common nut it is possible to obtain the frontal articulation of the foot

Here's a pic of 3mm and 4mm T nuts. You can see that they have sharp prongs standing up. These can be folded a bit over the wire, but take care not to damage it. Then glue the wire on with the metal epoxy, and before it has completely set add some milliput or other epoxy putty on top. You can see some feet I have filed down a bit for one of my puppets, as the T nuts tend to be a bit high and wide. Because the T nuts are flat underneath, the wire won't break out of them as easily as with your arrangement.

Here is a pic of some other legs I have made, next to the T nuts. They are about 5mm thick and 9mm wide, less than the other puppet's feet, and you can see that I have filed the T nuts back to make a plate for the front part of the foot. These are for puppets that are about 170mm tall. You could even file the back part of the T nut away to make a smaller platform. Works for me!

oh , then you tell me that ,that base of that special nut can replace an independent brass sheet , and then use the cold welding epoxy?

Yes, just wrap the wire around the nut above the base and glue in place with the metal epoxy. When it is hard, then file it down to the size you want.

T nuts are sold for wood work. The prongs stick into the wood to hold it. So you will need to get them from a company that sells this sort of fastening.

wao

ill be on it, and report the progress in this same post

T-nuts look like a great solution!

I've use thin nuts (called half-nuts) glued onto the top of a wire loop, the idea being that the tie down will pull it down onto the wire, not pull it away.  But I also put epoxy putty around it, to be sure.  As an alternative on one puppet, I used a normal, thicker nut, filed a groove all around the outside, then put the wire in the groove and twisted tight, and then put epoxy putty on that as well to make sure it couldn't work loose.  Both have stood up to a lot of use, but I really like the T-nut idea.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

STOPMO JAM on Facebook

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

STOPMO NEWBIES
basic stopmo discussion

ANIMATOR TALK
experienced animators looking to improve

CAMERA & STAGE
animation camera, lighting and moco rigs

ANIMATION TOOLS & EQUIPMENT
animation tool and rigging discussion

STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS
frame capture, editing, and post-production

STORY
script, storyboarding and storyreel discussion

SOUND
lip-sync, sound effects and music

YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT
discuss your stopmo film

ARMATURES
ball & socket and wire armature discussion

MACHINE SHOP
metalwork tool & talk

SCULPTING
sculpture information and advice

HAIR & COSTUME
materials, patterns and technique

CASTING
foam, silicone and resin

CLAY
clay puppet construction

GENERAL PUPPET MAKING
other puppet fabrication issues

STOP MOTION SETS
set design and construction information

MODEL DEPARTMENT
miniature prop discussion

MATTE PAINTINGS
glass matte paintings and backgrounds

GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS

STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION

FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS

PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION

FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS

ANIMATION SCHOOLS

STOP MOTION BOOKS

STOP MOTION ON VIDEO

JOBS & PROJECTS
post here if you are looking for talent to hire

SWAP MEET
stop motion items for sale

CHAT BOARD
general discussion

SITE FEEDBACK
report bugs, comments and suggestions here

SPAM ALERT!

StopMotionAnimation.com has been hit hard by spammers lately. They have been creating several fake accounts every day, contacting and harassing members and posting suspicious content. If you see anything suspicious, don't click on any links, instead, send me their User Name. I will suspend them. 

Questions & Feedback
Report Spam or Abuse

© 2017   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}