Hi guys. I understand this probably isn't the right place to ask but this is the only online community I know that has experience with editing/after effect/YouTube.

Im recently trying to upload a video on YouTube as seen here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqN8hFyc7ic&feature=c4-overview&...

As you can see i have tried a number of different versions when uploading but im still getting letterboxes on the side or above it. When i shot the video in dragon frame the images came in the size 5184 x 3456. Like this 

And i left them like that in AE but have the letterbox problem. I have tried changing the composition in AE and all the images  to 1280 x 720 (16:9 aspect/YouTube friendly aspect) but when i do this the images end up stretch like this (and the video is stretch)

I also have this problem when i uses the YouTube code/tags.

Is there something i am missing?  Has anyone experienced in uploading on YouTube and getting the correct setting needed to get the video in HD and not out of shape but to fill the screen

Sorry for the long question and sorry if it not appropriate to ask here i just don't know anyone  to ask and i have tried with Google to no help. Thanks for any help guys

Views: 827

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

DSLRs shoot in 3:2 ratio, so you need to crop the top and bottom to get a 16:9 ratio without distorting.

I usually do it in two stages - first I shrink the images down to the right width -  like 1280 in your case.   The height will automatically become 853 pixels, to maintain the same shape.  

Then I reduce the height to 720 without maintaining proportions of the frame, or re-sizing.  This way it chops off a bit from the top and bottom, so the picture doesn't end up looking stretched.  I use TV Paint Animation, not sure what it would be called or exactly how you do it in AE.   THis way, what you upload to YouTube is 16:9 and should come up looking correct.

All my tutorials are uploaded at 1280 x 720 and they come up looking the way I expect them to.

For my actual films, I re-size and crop the DSLR original to full HD 1920 x 1080, with the same 2-step process.  Then I might make a smaller version to upload to Youtube, but my master copy with all my editing and effects is done at the larger Full HD size.  Scaling down from that size to 1280 x 720 is simple since both are 16:9, so there is no stretching.

You should set the composition settings in AE to 1280 x 720 or 1920 x 1080 then import your images into the composition and scale them down enough to fill the frame. (When scaling make sure the lock to maintain the proportions is on.) This leaves top and bottom out of frame and image stays unstretched. Also the aspect ratio will be 16:9 during the whole editing process and should export correctly.

Thanks

@Lauri

Yeah i have tried what you said and it will probably have to do but it a shame to cut out some of the images i had going on at the top of the photo

@Nick

Thanks nick, im not sure I fully understand all of what you are saying . I think you are saying what Lauri said in AE.

For future shots I was wondering Is there a way to shoot in 16:9? so i know  what I will get in shot while doing it.

You could, as you know about this problem now already, just think of how you need to compose the frame calculating with the lost pixels at the top and bottom. Also you could use some options (I don't know which one those are because I have not started using it myself) and let Dragonframe show you how much of the frame would be cutted of in which proportions, so you can easily arrange your shot with this programm while filming your movie and not only afterwards! :)

Stop Motion Pro can put a mask over the preview image so you only see the 16:9 image while you are setting up and animating. I'm pretty sure Dragonframe does that too. It still captures the full size image, so you will have to do what Lauri said, in AE. But you will be expecting it, and won't find you had important stuff going on in the part of the frame that gets cut off.

If you really need some of the top of the frame, can you give up more of the bottom of the frame, so you still end up with a 16:9 frame?

Thanks guys for the help. I will investigate the mask solution in DF.

Nick and Lauri have given you great advice so far. Nick is right about DF having an aspect ratio mask option within Dragonframe which, as Nick mentioned, overlays a mask so you can be sure to set up your shots for the aspect ratio you are using. A great help to ensure you will have what you need in your edited shots.

Thanks guys, I found the mask, very handy and saves a lot of trouble down the line :)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

STOPMO NEWBIES
basic stopmo discussion

ANIMATOR TALK
experienced animators looking to improve

CAMERA & STAGE
animation camera, lighting and moco rigs

ANIMATION TOOLS & EQUIPMENT
animation tool and rigging discussion

STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS
frame capture, editing, and post-production

STORY
script, storyboarding and storyreel discussion

SOUND
lip-sync, sound effects and music

YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT
discuss your stopmo film

ARMATURES
ball & socket and wire armature discussion

MACHINE SHOP
metalwork tool & talk

SCULPTING
sculpture information and advice

HAIR & COSTUME
materials, patterns and technique

CASTING
foam, silicone and resin

CLAY
clay puppet construction

GENERAL PUPPET MAKING
other puppet fabrication issues

STOP MOTION SETS
set design and construction information

MODEL DEPARTMENT
miniature prop discussion

MATTE PAINTINGS
glass matte paintings and backgrounds

GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS

STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION

FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS

PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION

FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS

ANIMATION SCHOOLS

STOP MOTION BOOKS

STOP MOTION ON VIDEO

JOBS & PROJECTS
post here if you are looking for talent to hire

SWAP MEET
stop motion items for sale

CHAT BOARD
general discussion

SITE FEEDBACK
report bugs, comments and suggestions here

Latest Activity

Mark Francombe replied to Mark Francombe's discussion Stop Motion Stage hints?
"Thanks for all your valuable advice Simon. I can see its a minefield, and I should have read every…"
11 hours ago
Michelle J. Andrew replied to Michelle J. Andrew's discussion New Diploma Course in Model Making for Animation
"It’s an amazing course and they have a lot of full scholarships now too. They just ran a…"
14 hours ago
Simon Tytherleigh replied to ninakuru's discussion I have a problem with my dragon frame please help me
"Did you connect it with usb for the live…"
14 hours ago
Simon Tytherleigh replied to Mark Francombe's discussion Stop Motion Stage hints?
"Compared to that spaghetti, this is very simple! What I am aiming to do is to come up with some 3D…"
14 hours ago

© 2020   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}