Does these two works of art look families to you?

One is "Siegfried kills Fafnir", an illustration to Richard Wagner's The Ring, the illustration being made in 1911:

The other is an illustration done by Uncle Ray for the 7th voyage of Sindbad, which came out in 1958:

I'm not sure if there is any resemblance...

Views: 728

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Froud was clearly influenced by Rackham.  I saw that too, the first time I saw some of Froud's illustrations back before Dark Crystal.  

Rackham is generally acknowledged as one of the leading artists of the Golden age of book illustration, alongside Edmund Dulac and Kay Neilsen.  Perhaps the leading illustrator, he was certainly the most successful for the longest.      

Yes definitely, I totally agree on both accounts.

Here's another example, where Brian Froud borrowed from a figure in a tryptich by Hieronymus Bosch.  The costume and face have changed, but the basic pose, the hurdy-gurdy, the leg crutch, and the little dog with jester's hat are all there in Bosch's Temptation of St Anthony.

The Froud illustration is in Master Snickup's Cloak.  The figure has become a jester.

So what's it got to do with stop motion?

I didn't realise it at the time, but just now when looking at these 2 images, I realised I may have been influenced myself by Froud's drawing when designing my jester puppet.  I looked at a few pictures of jesters, but not Froud's, and some things like the little jester head on a stick are typical jester things.  Master Snickup is a book from 30 years ago I hadn't seen for a long time. But I see now that my stage is a bit like a hurdy-gurdy, with it's crank handle on the side, and there is something about the face...

Wow - I had never seen that Froud illo before, but as soon as it popped up I immediately thought of your jester Nick. It's far from identical of course, but there's enough similarity to suggest you probably were subconsciously influenced by memories of it. I've had that kind of experience before several times - with drawings and stories both. At some point years later I dig out some old book I haven't seen in ages and run across the original inspiration for some project that I had thought was my own idea.. 

Nice! I have a few Froud books (4, I think), but I've never seen the Jester before either.

The internet is a bitch for making us realise we're not as original as we thought we were. It gives us so much though, so I'm not gonna complain  I can barely remember a time without it. Think I used to play with worms and rocks. But, I digress... 

^ heh yeah, it seems like a totally different life before internet, doesn't it? I can remember all the way back to rabbit ears on the TV and only 5 channels, no VCR or anything. Wow - seems like a bad dream or something now. 

Oh, and thanks David - every time I see the title of this thread now I get the song stuck in my head.. 

You got that right, Dean B! I keep coming up with business names or film titles, so I do a search on the internet, and find they have been used already by a comic store in New York or a restaurant in Texas or a band in Glasgow. Before the internet I would never have known, and would have thought I had come up with something really clever and original. It is some consolation seeing how others more talented than I am have also borrowed and adapted I guess.

Wow thats pretty crazy, funny how our subconscious works ehh. This whole conversation is totally reminding me about the movie Inception, on how people just come in your mind and give you ideas lol.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

STOPMO NEWBIES
basic stopmo discussion

ANIMATOR TALK
experienced animators looking to improve

CAMERA & STAGE
animation camera, lighting and moco rigs

ANIMATION TOOLS & EQUIPMENT
animation tool and rigging discussion

STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS
frame capture, editing, and post-production

STORY
script, storyboarding and storyreel discussion

SOUND
lip-sync, sound effects and music

YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT
discuss your stopmo film

ARMATURES
ball & socket and wire armature discussion

MACHINE SHOP
metalwork tool & talk

SCULPTING
sculpture information and advice

HAIR & COSTUME
materials, patterns and technique

CASTING
foam, silicone and resin

CLAY
clay puppet construction

GENERAL PUPPET MAKING
other puppet fabrication issues

STOP MOTION SETS
set design and construction information

MODEL DEPARTMENT
miniature prop discussion

MATTE PAINTINGS
glass matte paintings and backgrounds

GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS

STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION

FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS

PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION

FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS

ANIMATION SCHOOLS

STOP MOTION BOOKS

STOP MOTION ON VIDEO

JOBS & PROJECTS
post here if you are looking for talent to hire

SWAP MEET
stop motion items for sale

CHAT BOARD
general discussion

SITE FEEDBACK
report bugs, comments and suggestions here

Latest Activity

Jasper Kuipers replied to Iulian Demetrescu's discussion Pigment oil clay
"Hi Iulian,I have had some nice results using powdered paint pigments. The stuff that is used to…"
8 hours ago
StopmoNick replied to Daniel Svensson's discussion App that can remove rigs?
"I don't know what TV Paint on an Android device is like, didn't know there was one.…"
Thursday
Eric J. Nelson posted a video

Winter Fun at the Skating Rink | Stop Motion | American Girl

Winter’s finally here! Time to lace up our skates and hit the ice. Whether you’re a figure skater or hockey player, we're all on the same team when we help e...
Wednesday
Rob Nugen replied to Anthony Scott's discussion Please Introduce Yourself
"Welcome to the community!  I look forward to seeing some of your work.  :-)"
Wednesday

© 2019   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}