Hi everyone!  I had an interesting experience today and wanted to see if this is something other creators have felt as well.  I have created a group of characters and their world and have lived inside that world for the last five years.  I finished animating the proof of concept - exciting! - but now have to wait to see where it goes from here.  Now the puppets are in boxes, the set is taken down, the lights are put away... it honestly felt like parting ways with a dear friend and hit me hard emotionally.  This is the third very personal film that I have made with characters dear to me and each time I find it very hard to put them in storage (with hopes that maybe they will come back to play some day.) How do you all deal with finishing personal projects?

Views: 74

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I understand where you're coming from. Years ago, I used to be a moderator on a hobby website with a sculptors forum. We would do these sculpting jams with different subjects each time. I always found it very motivational to create a back story for some of my creations. I was surprised by how attached I got to those lumps of clay, lol. The characters really did take on a life of their own, in my mind.
At one point in time a few years ago, I had an idea for a comic strip and they ideas came fast and furious, but bc of the "limited" scope of the character, there wasn't enough material to make a go of it. I took all the ideas, sketches and character designs and filed them away. A couple of years ago, I had a look at all of it and it finally dawned on me that the stuff I did have would translate perfectly to mini stop-motion shorts. So that's what I'm working on now.
And now you're telling me I'm going to go through all that again, lol.

You say you've finished a Proof of Concept, so you must have something much bigger in mind for them.  So naturally you re not ready to part ways yet.  I don't find it so hard to put away the puppets and set if I've made the film I set out to make (or more likely an approximation of it) but I also have a few puppets and a couple of sets that have never really had their moment on stage.  I jumped into making the world or the characters, but the story wasn't quite there, and didn't fall into place while I made stuff as i had hoped.   It's very hard to decide to trash them without having brought them to life, even if briefly.  I'm still keeping a couple of sets and boxes of props in case inspiration strikes me one day, but 3 dimensional objects do take up a lot of storage space.  

I can see you have both experienced what I am talking about. I have so much more in store for the characters that I create and so far haven't been able to give them their proper time to tell their full stories.  I will keep pushing for that opportunity. Thanks for the company.  

Is it a feature length film, or maybe a series, that you hope to make?  Something that requires a lot more resources than you have, just working by yourself?

Yes. You nailed it. This will be a series and needs a big crew to realize.  Hopefully soon!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

STOPMO NEWBIES
basic stopmo discussion

ANIMATOR TALK
experienced animators looking to improve

CAMERA & STAGE
animation camera, lighting and moco rigs

ANIMATION TOOLS & EQUIPMENT
animation tool and rigging discussion

STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS
frame capture, editing, and post-production

STORY
script, storyboarding and storyreel discussion

SOUND
lip-sync, sound effects and music

YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT
discuss your stopmo film

ARMATURES
ball & socket and wire armature discussion

MACHINE SHOP
metalwork tool & talk

SCULPTING
sculpture information and advice

HAIR & COSTUME
materials, patterns and technique

CASTING
foam, silicone and resin

CLAY
clay puppet construction

GENERAL PUPPET MAKING
other puppet fabrication issues

STOP MOTION SETS
set design and construction information

MODEL DEPARTMENT
miniature prop discussion

MATTE PAINTINGS
glass matte paintings and backgrounds

GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS

STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION

FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS

PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION

FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS

ANIMATION SCHOOLS

STOP MOTION BOOKS

STOP MOTION ON VIDEO

JOBS & PROJECTS
post here if you are looking for talent to hire

SWAP MEET
stop motion items for sale

CHAT BOARD
general discussion

SITE FEEDBACK
report bugs, comments and suggestions here

Latest Activity

StopmoNick replied to DimensionalAnimator's discussion Problem with latex
"First, the mould should be plaster, so it can absorb some of the moisture from the latex.…"
1 hour ago
Count Croc replied to DimensionalAnimator's discussion Problem with latex
"It depends on what latex you use. I use monster maker's mask latex and usually have no issues."
1 hour ago
DimensionalAnimator posted a discussion

Problem with latex

Hi all, could you please guide me with it?I have tested with liquid latex but it does not dry…See More
1 hour ago
Count Croc posted a discussion

Robot joints

Hey guys! I've been wanting to do a animation of some type of armored walker like those seen in The…See More
7 hours ago

© 2019   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}