I'm working a medieval film and will need to build armor and cloaks, and probably some shirts too, as well as pants. I literally have zero experience with sewing. Any tips? Also, how would you make a puppet with a removable head but can later be reattached?

Views: 53

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

For gluing fabric seams there is a product called Fabritak that works very well. It is acetone-based and benefits from occasionally being thinned. I bought a tiny bottle with a thin metal nozzle that is ideal for puppet work, and a big bottle for fill ups.

I have just had some success with making a cloak by gluing together two pieces of cloth with double sided fusible interfacing - basically a hot melt glue sold in thin sheets for dressmaking. This stiffens the cloth really nicely. I also used 1mm wire around the edges. This was done by having one of the cloth pieces about 6mm bigger than the other all round, then laying the wire on with a little glue and using the Fabritak to stick the cloth edge over the top.

Removable head:  This is a generic body designed to work with different removable heads.  If you weren't using a wooden block in the chest like I did, you could have a piece of K&S square brass tubing encased in a blob of epoxy putty that also covered the top of the spine and the arm wires.  The K&S tube comes in sizes where the outside of the next size down fits perfectly inside the first piece, so you would have a piece of smaller square tube on the end of the neck wire so it could slot in to the one in the chest.  Being square, it wouldn't rotate loosely, so you might not even need a screw to hold it on -  you wouldn't be lifting it out when animating , just bending and twisting the wire.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbF6m3BeGUQ&t=131s

I generally do sew clothing, with patterns adapted from full size clothing, but usually simplified.  But for a cloak I did something similar to Simon, put  wire around the edges so I could animate it flapping in the breeze, and just folded the edges of the cloth over the wire and stuck it with some spray glue.  Simple tunics can also done without sewing, like a poncho, a strip of fabric with a round neck hole in the middle that fold  over the puppet, half in front and half in back.

Hi, Count Croc. I had to do the same for my piece, and here's what I ended up doing.

I built one of the first outfits for my characters, but it was extremely difficult. My hands were hurting and the process took forever. I have a friend who was involved in costuming for local school events, like renaissance dress-up days. I contacted her to see if she wanted to build small clothing, and she agreed. I paid her an hourly amount we agreed upon.

I had to supply her with concepts and images, mostly from Pinterest, about what I wanted. I also measured all the puppet seam lengths so that she was able to make them the correct size. She was able to embed wires into the costumes so that they were animatable.

Without her help, I would have struggled to get good wardrobe for my characters. I avoided a ton of wasted time on failed clothing attempts.

So I recommend reaching out to see who can help you in this way.

Good Luck.

What height are your puppets? There is a huge 1:6 figure community if you are working with 12" puppets. 

Rare earth magnets work great for removable heads. 

Good point.  I use 1:6 scale action figure clothing whenever I can find something that suits the character.  It works if your proportions are fairly close to realistic, but not if they are extremely stylised like all of Laika films.  

robbiethepainter said:

What height are your puppets? There is a huge 1:6 figure community if you are working with 12" puppets. 

Rare earth magnets work great for removable heads. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

STOPMO NEWBIES
basic stopmo discussion

ANIMATOR TALK
experienced animators looking to improve

CAMERA & STAGE
animation camera, lighting and moco rigs

ANIMATION TOOLS & EQUIPMENT
animation tool and rigging discussion

STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS
frame capture, editing, and post-production

STORY
script, storyboarding and storyreel discussion

SOUND
lip-sync, sound effects and music

YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT
discuss your stopmo film

ARMATURES
ball & socket and wire armature discussion

MACHINE SHOP
metalwork tool & talk

SCULPTING
sculpture information and advice

HAIR & COSTUME
materials, patterns and technique

CASTING
foam, silicone and resin

CLAY
clay puppet construction

GENERAL PUPPET MAKING
other puppet fabrication issues

STOP MOTION SETS
set design and construction information

MODEL DEPARTMENT
miniature prop discussion

MATTE PAINTINGS
glass matte paintings and backgrounds

GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS

STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION

FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS

PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION

FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS

ANIMATION SCHOOLS

STOP MOTION BOOKS

STOP MOTION ON VIDEO

JOBS & PROJECTS
post here if you are looking for talent to hire

SWAP MEET
stop motion items for sale

CHAT BOARD
general discussion

SITE FEEDBACK
report bugs, comments and suggestions here

Latest Activity

L'Rae Rose posted a discussion

Conducting a survey for university - studying animation

Hi there everyone! This is the first time I've posted anything to the forum so I hope this is…See More
13 hours ago
Ron Cole replied to Ron Cole's discussion Ron Cole's Realistic Stop Motion Special Effects Services
"Not  yet but it's on the agenda. I have a gig doing some effects for another film right…"
13 hours ago
Evan DeRushie posted a discussion

Birdlime - short film

After finishing this film back in 2017, and playing in many film festivals, it's finally time to…See More
yesterday
Evan DeRushie updated their profile
yesterday

© 2019   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}