Have you seen this cosclay Kickstarter coming up?   https://www.cosclay.com/

I’m excited! the flexibility and memory they have shown in their demos looks super promising. I’m hoping it can skip the whole mold recast steps. 

sculpy had a bake able bendable for while but I never got to try it.

(sorry if this is a topic duplicate, I peaked around and didn’t see it)

Views: 91

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This looks exciting stuff with many possibilities for stop motion.

I have seen a couple of flexible modelling materials before, and they were actually pretty firm.  You might manage thin fingers over wire that could be animated, but anything thicker was going to fight the wire.  The other thing to watch out for is if they fatigue after a lot of bending. This looks promising.  I do see a hand bending the horns of a head, and they spring back after a small amount of bending, so I'm not sure a thicker shape is going to be animatable.  (But I don't know what is inside.) You can increase the thickness or number of wires, or make stiffer joints, to get a silicone puppet to bend and stay bent a little further, but go too far and it becomes hard to move the character at all.  I've had to go stiffer with silicone puppets to the point they were hard to animate, and they still had a limited range of movement compared to a foam latex puppet with a lighter armature.  

I don't think it will compare with Shore 10 or softer silicone.  Looks like it makes delicate parts flexible enough to be less breakable, as shown in their video with little insect legs.  For thin characters it might work, and the possibility of skipping all the mould making, casting, and seam line removal is mighty attractive!  I'm tempted to sign up for the kickstarter and try some.

I watched a couple of videos, including this one:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZP39S_GGos

You can see that it is only a little bit flexible.  A smooth tentacle or snake can bend, although you can see the limits where it springs back, with a 1/8th" wire inside. It's about the thickness of a puppet arm.  The guy testing it keeps saying it is a bit thick, but it's towards the thinner end of what you need on a puppet, apart from fingers. Anything thicker, like a torso, even a lean one, probably won't bend much at all.  I'd like to see an arm, that has to bend at the elbow rather than in a gentle curve all along the length, and see what that does.  They do warn against any "deep gouges" weakening it, so that might mean that the folds you can sculpt in to help a puppet to bend in the right place might actually make it fail there.   A second piece in the video is a rectangle with scales pressed onto it, about 1/2" thick, and it doesn't bend very far.    

I can see this being a great alternative polymer clay for sculptures and art dolls, but probably not much use for stop motion beyond simple snake shapes.    

Good points. It might be OK for things like trees that only bend a little, but doesn't seem from the video that it could be relied on for puppets. Ah well!

Ha ha what a soothing voice he has.

i see what you mean, on his worm it seems like the clay has a memory of being straight and is fighting against the armature to return to its default state. 

His sculpting technique looks like it uses a lot of baking and building up and carving back down. Sounds like the cosclay would be happier with sculpt it in 1 go and bake it once.

I wonder, with pottery clay you knead it before you work with it to make the parts flexible and willing to line up in a new way. I wonder if that would help with this. (Clearly i don’t know what I’m talking about, but maybe someone with better knowledge does.)

but he paints it with acrylic and bends it no problem! I was wondering if the paint would crack with the bends, or not adhere.

i wonder how it will interact with other clay, mixing in regular sculpy for rib cages or similar. 

rhe flexibility on his scales makes me wonder about having a segmented arm, so it wouldn’t have to compress through all the stress points. Then you could just put a sleeve over it and have a natural looking puppet. 

definitely interesting

Wow! This Kickstarter is already way over its target. There are some good shots of sculptures done in the medium on the kickstarter page video.

It suggests to me that it might work particularly well for props. A little while ago I made some fish in polymer clay, to put in a basket, then it occurred to me that it would be nice (!) to have a couple of them flapping. So I added a piece of wire into the back of several of them. But the clay was not really flexible enough to allow the movement. Cosclay looks like it will have no problem with this sort of thing. 

Modest movement with thin sections (not the fat snake in the test video) might be possible, but it will certainly never be up to the sort of movement that latex or silicone afford. Perhaps the greatest attraction might be not breaking off when accidentally knocked!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

STOPMO NEWBIES
basic stopmo discussion

ANIMATOR TALK
experienced animators looking to improve

CAMERA & STAGE
animation camera, lighting and moco rigs

ANIMATION TOOLS & EQUIPMENT
animation tool and rigging discussion

STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS
frame capture, editing, and post-production

STORY
script, storyboarding and storyreel discussion

SOUND
lip-sync, sound effects and music

YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT
discuss your stopmo film

ARMATURES
ball & socket and wire armature discussion

MACHINE SHOP
metalwork tool & talk

SCULPTING
sculpture information and advice

HAIR & COSTUME
materials, patterns and technique

CASTING
foam, silicone and resin

CLAY
clay puppet construction

GENERAL PUPPET MAKING
other puppet fabrication issues

STOP MOTION SETS
set design and construction information

MODEL DEPARTMENT
miniature prop discussion

MATTE PAINTINGS
glass matte paintings and backgrounds

GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS

STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION

FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS

PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION

FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS

ANIMATION SCHOOLS

STOP MOTION BOOKS

STOP MOTION ON VIDEO

JOBS & PROJECTS
post here if you are looking for talent to hire

SWAP MEET
stop motion items for sale

CHAT BOARD
general discussion

SITE FEEDBACK
report bugs, comments and suggestions here

Latest Activity

Ethan Bartholomae replied to Count Croc's discussion Backgrounds
"Depending on where you're located there's several workable options for green/blue screen…"
11 hours ago
Count Croc posted a discussion

Backgrounds

Where can I find good green screen backgrounds? Would I be better off making a composite myself? See More
Monday
Greyguy replied to Alix LAINE's discussion LAIKA HINGES JOINT
"I make a hinge using laminating parts "
Monday
LIOs Nephew replied to Alix LAINE's discussion LAIKA HINGES JOINT
"Complex to fabricate the 'Merrick Cheney' (as you call it) ... actually some of these…"
Monday

© 2019   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}