Thought I'd start a thread where we can post questions and concenrs for the new site. 

As Nick already suggested, my main concern would be the possibility of losing all the vast information on the old site. Would that remain as an archive or something? 

Views: 383

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Several days ago I asked Infinology (original site's host) if the board could be converted into text. No reply yet. Here's hoping. It would make this whole transition easier. I'll keep researching.

Well, it's probably too soon for me to criticize and I should keep my fingers still, but my initial contact with this format leaves me confused. We have two places to enter comment on the same page. Is there a way to view the discussion in threaded mode? If not (and I don't care if there is), then why are there two places to enter responses?

For me, the single most useful technical feature of the old board was the "Read New" function. That's what I bookmarked to get to the site. I liked its efficient way of finding what I have not yet seen (although it has been acting funky lately), divided according to category. I'm not sure yet how that correlates with the "most recent activity" here. The "My Discussions" will be useful, but not the same.

I feel like I'm being a curmugeon, and I'm sorry to be negative, but I find the graphic arrangement of this page unpleasant. Too much harsh contrast between black and white fields. I also find the wide margin of stuff on the right less graphically friendly. To my eye, it occupies too much screen real estate. I prefer the "Tufte-esque" simplicity of a page devoted almost entirely to the discussion on that page.  I don't need to see a block of avatars. Nor do I need to see a list of what else is going on in the board. I see a bunch of cool photos dissolving past each other at the bottom of the page, but there's no context for them. Why have them there when we have a wonderful "Photo" button in the menu? Where do they come from? How can I learn about them? I'd rather see more replies on a single page. And in the "All Discussions" page, I'd rather see all the categories displayed on a single page.

In general, this looks to me like a cluttered-up Youtube channel page. Or a shot in a movie in which the main action is buried under a clutter of fancy camera moves and shake and noise. The old format struck me as an "information site with a social component," whereas this format flips the formula, turning it into a "social site with an information component." Maybe I'm just a-gettin' old.

Speaking of which, from what I glean, this new format opens up the board to more outlets like smart phones and facebook and such, and perhaps my negative reaction stems from my being a luddite in those areas. I'm not and have no intention of becoming a member of facebook, and if I owned a smart phone I doubt I'd use it to access a message board, much less tweet about it, whatever use that would be. I'd rather have the "Preview" function, which I found useful. But, as they say, that's just me...

OK, balancing this out a bit... I'm sure as I become more familiar with this format, the things I dislike now may fade under my radar. And I like the menu bar at the top, and I like that there are now easily accessible galleries. But I still adhere to a "less is more" philosophy.

There is a way to minimize what you see on the right hand side, very customizable.  Just click the EDIT tabs on the Home page and choose your prefs.  I made the Members icon boxes smaller for instance.

I think you're the only one with that edit function for the right hand column,Anthony. I have them on the middle column on 'My Page' but not for anything else. Might be an administrator only kinda thing maybe?

Anthony Scott said:

There is a way to minimize what you see on the right hand side, very customizable.  Just click the EDIT tabs on the Home page and choose your prefs.  I made the Members icon boxes smaller for instance.

that's too bad, well I just reorganized and minimized the right hand side so it is less wordy.  I put more images near the top.  Better?

It's better, although I'm still in "curmugeon" mode. However, I can just reduce the size of the window to crop off that nonminimalist stuff. Now all I have to do is declutter my desktop.

Anthony, I want to say MUCH MORE LOUDLY!!!! that none of my whining diminishes my very deep gratitude that you give us this site and for everything else you do to improve the world.

Have I said Thanks lately? Hey, very sincerely, Thank you!

Bruce Hoffman

Anthony Scott said:

that's too bad, well I just reorganized and minimized the right hand side so it is less wordy.  I put more images near the top.  Better?

B. Hoffman said:

For me, the single most useful technical feature of the old board was the "Read New" function.

Agreed!! I was looking for something similar here... hope it can be implemented.

"All Discussions" page, I'd rather see all the categories displayed on a single page.

After clicking on All Discussions you can click on the Options button to the right and select either "all categories" or "all discussions". 

The alternative on this site to the Read New function is to check the Forum listing on the right side column.  It displays up to 20 of the latest posts on the Message Board (Forum).  I've set it for 10.  If people want me to increase it to 15 or 20, please let me know. If you click on Last Reply, it'll take you to the end of the post

Thanks Bruce!

B. Hoffman said:

Anthony, I want to say MUCH MORE LOUDLY!!!! that none of my whining diminishes my very deep gratitude that you give us this site and for everything else you do to improve the world.

Bruce Hoffman

No, thank you! (etc., etc., etc...)

OK, I'm coming out of curmugeon mode. I think it's fantastic that it's possible to post videos here now. That will be a great resource for putting up tutorials, to pick just one example. I just watched the Google/Clokey piece, which I'd never seen before. Really fun.

Anthony Scott said:

Thanks Bruce!

B. Hoffman said:

Bruce Hoffman

Anthony,

I am attempting to put the entire old board threads into a searchable data base management system (dbms), but there are some issues.  Please see my comments earlier on this subject, and if you cannot find them, let me know and I will repeat them.  I have to wait until late this August to see if I will be able to receive student loans.  If so I can purchase the necessary software to grab the forum information and organize it.

I used to be a professional data base programmer for the State of New Mexico.

Anthony Scott said:

I am considering everything and I don't want to rush this in any way.  But I would like people to move over to the new site.  It is the direction I've been envisioning for years. 

Also, I would like to know who this somebody is who knows the best way to preserve the old board.  (if you are out there, please come forward)  I think some of the board is worth saving but I am not convinced that I should preserve the entire thing.

If I did decide to leave it up for a year, I would disable posting, hopefully that is easy to do without having to go thru each post.

Let's continue to discuss the possibility of making this happen.  It would be great to add it to this site and then it should become searchable.  You can email me at a.scott@stopmotionanimation.com

Reply to Discussion

RSS

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

STOPMO NEWBIES
basic stopmo discussion

ANIMATOR TALK
experienced animators looking to improve

CAMERA & STAGE
animation camera, lighting and moco rigs

ANIMATION TOOLS & EQUIPMENT
animation tool and rigging discussion

STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS
frame capture, editing, and post-production

STORY
script, storyboarding and storyreel discussion

SOUND
lip-sync, sound effects and music

YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT
discuss your stopmo film

ARMATURES
ball & socket and wire armature discussion

MACHINE SHOP
metalwork tool & talk

SCULPTING
sculpture information and advice

HAIR & COSTUME
materials, patterns and technique

CASTING
foam, silicone and resin

CLAY
clay puppet construction

GENERAL PUPPET MAKING
other puppet fabrication issues

STOP MOTION SETS
set design and construction information

MODEL DEPARTMENT
miniature prop discussion

MATTE PAINTINGS
glass matte paintings and backgrounds

GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS

STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION

FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS

PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION

FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS

ANIMATION SCHOOLS

STOP MOTION BOOKS

STOP MOTION ON VIDEO

JOBS & PROJECTS
post here if you are looking for talent to hire

SWAP MEET
stop motion items for sale

CHAT BOARD
general discussion

SITE FEEDBACK
report bugs, comments and suggestions here

Latest Activity

StopmoNick replied to Ron Cole's discussion A Bit Of Realistic Stopmo In a Live Action Short
"Your work is great, just as I expected. Nice to get a better view and have time to take in the…"
yesterday
Angus Lamont posted a discussion
yesterday
Angus Lamont posted a video

Harryhausen100 Tribute Short Film (Teaser Trailer)

Teaser trailer for my upcoming personal tribute to animator, Ray Harryhausen! Due for release around May/June of this year! Music by Kevin Macleod and Alexan...
yesterday
Ed Riccardi posted a photo
yesterday

© 2020   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}