A few years back, I found a site selling workbenches designed specifically for stop motion animators. They had a slide out platform for your laptop, plenty of drawers, area to rig lights, I think maybe even a blue screen you could erect in the back.

I didn't think much of it at the time, but since then, I've moved into a small two bedroom apartment and have no room to set up a studio. I thought this thing may actually be perfect given my space. Problem is, I've looked and looked and can't find it, or anything like it.

Has anyone seen anything like this? Can you share the link if you have? Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Chris.

Views: 1400

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Awesome, currently researching building one compact workbench/table myself. Thanks for all this useful info!

My preference would be to still put the camera on a tripod, not attached to the workbench/animation table.  I don't like the idea that touching the table when animating might jiggle the camera.  And I want to be free to re-position the camera from one shot to the next.

In a small space where my track doesn't really fit,  I stick with the Manfrotto 410 Jr geared head - sometimes I mount the camera way off centre, on the far end of a wooden board, so that when I pan the camera swings in an arc, so it does a sort of combined track-pan move.  

Mounting lights on the table isn't such a bad idea though.  I would just screw a vertical length of wood on the side of the table, and attach the light to the top of that with clamps or screws.

A folding rostrum has the advantage of folding up flat when not in use, like if the animation room sometimes has to revert to being the dining room or spare bedroom.  You can see one open out in my tiedowns video (at Youtube).  When set up, it's no more compact than any other table of the same size though.  And  more permanent table can also have a lower shelf for storing props and puppets, so there is something to be said for that too.

StopmoNick said:

I don't like the idea that touching the table when animating might jiggle the camera.  And I want to be free to re-position the camera from one shot to the next.

Hey Nick,

I've found that when having a camera attached to the table, if you bump the table, the set and camera all move the same, so there's no discernable movement. With this compact set-up I have in mind, you'd be able to move the camera to any position around the perimeter of the bench if you use the Superclamp. Granted, you won't have as much flexibility as just picking up a tripod and moving it, but I suspect you'll be able to achieve the same end result.

Thanks for the other suggestions regarding lighting. 

Good point, if everything you see is on that table, it would all move together when bumped.

Many of my sets have a separate backdrop attached to the wall, so if the set moves, it shows, whether the camera moves with it or not.

Ah yes, that makes sense :)

Not quite what your after I think but thought I'd share anyway. I am currently trying to sell my house so had to come up with a set/stage that could be disassembled quick if anyone came to view. This was my solution all based on a workmate. It all bolts together and of course the bench can be folded down quick, the stage floor is thin ply suitable for drilling holes through and can be replaced easily as its held in place by 4 bolts so just 4 holes to drill when you want a new one. This just happened to be bits of timber and dexion I had lying about.  Keith

Noice! 

Christopher Kezelos said:

You are a prince among men sir.
Couldn't agree more! Strider is astounding in his research skills and generosity with the information he uncovers (and often proves worthy of trying.).

D'awwww!!! 

Anybody take a look at the cabinet designers short film "Walter"? Really nicely done

Got a set on the workmate stage I built, thought I'd share a couple of pics. Shooting takes place in between people visiting house, when I have to take whole set up down. Oh how I wish house would sell!

Attachments:

Some additional info I wanted to add about articulated arms from earlier on the thread:

I'm copying this image from the last page. I said there that this little doohicky still lets the geared head spin freely - well I was wrong. See the 3 little screws just visible on the top of the platform? They match up with recesses in the bottom of the geared head base. All you have to do is loosen the screws so they stick up slightly and then they'll fit into the holes and voila!  No possible way it can slip around. Absolutely rock solid, and far far FAR better than the long brass studs I posted earlier. The image is a link - click it to see the item on Amazon. 

When you know how to use it properly, this thing is solid as a tank! 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

STOPMO NEWBIES
basic stopmo discussion

ANIMATOR TALK
experienced animators looking to improve

CAMERA & STAGE
animation camera, lighting and moco rigs

ANIMATION TOOLS & EQUIPMENT
animation tool and rigging discussion

STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS
frame capture, editing, and post-production

STORY
script, storyboarding and storyreel discussion

SOUND
lip-sync, sound effects and music

YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT
discuss your stopmo film

ARMATURES
ball & socket and wire armature discussion

MACHINE SHOP
metalwork tool & talk

SCULPTING
sculpture information and advice

HAIR & COSTUME
materials, patterns and technique

CASTING
foam, silicone and resin

CLAY
clay puppet construction

GENERAL PUPPET MAKING
other puppet fabrication issues

STOP MOTION SETS
set design and construction information

MODEL DEPARTMENT
miniature prop discussion

MATTE PAINTINGS
glass matte paintings and backgrounds

GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS

STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION

FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS

PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION

FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS

ANIMATION SCHOOLS

STOP MOTION BOOKS

STOP MOTION ON VIDEO

JOBS & PROJECTS
post here if you are looking for talent to hire

SWAP MEET
stop motion items for sale

CHAT BOARD
general discussion

SITE FEEDBACK
report bugs, comments and suggestions here

Latest Activity

Jasper Kuipers replied to Iulian Demetrescu's discussion Pigment oil clay
"Hi Iulian,I have had some nice results using powdered paint pigments. The stuff that is used to…"
7 hours ago
StopmoNick replied to Daniel Svensson's discussion App that can remove rigs?
"I don't know what TV Paint on an Android device is like, didn't know there was one.…"
Thursday
Eric J. Nelson posted a video

Winter Fun at the Skating Rink | Stop Motion | American Girl

Winter’s finally here! Time to lace up our skates and hit the ice. Whether you’re a figure skater or hockey player, we're all on the same team when we help e...
Wednesday
Rob Nugen replied to Anthony Scott's discussion Please Introduce Yourself
"Welcome to the community!  I look forward to seeing some of your work.  :-)"
Wednesday

© 2019   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}