Hello - does anyone know what the name is of an animation short (looks like claymation) that has two male characters in a confined dingy room where they are typing away, one at a time, taking turns each to wind each other up. Their life depends on being wound up by the other one. They each finish typing just before they wind down and just have enough potential wind energy to wind the other one fully up before stopping, and so on.
It is a great animation with an excellent ending and theme. I don't know what they were typing.
If anybody has seen this animation short, then please contact me.
Regards.

Views: 1353

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The first link you posted is a clip from Will Vinton's "Adventures of Mark Twain". He and his lead animator from that film were my animation teachers at school.

The boxing film Don's talking about sounds like Break by Russian animator Garri Bardin:

Is that the one? He's got a lot of great films - the link goes to a playlist featuring many of them. I recommend especially Adagio, Grey Wolf and Little Red Riding Hood, and Puss in Boots, but I'm sure there are others. It's a really dark version of Break, but seems to be the only version I can find on YT. 

Thanks for fleshing out your description of the long lost film so well - amazing job of describing it! I almost feel like I've seen it now - in fact, funny your last comment, because literally from your description I again feel like I've seen the film in some lost hazy memory but just can't quite pull it out into the light of day. I hope somebody who has seen it (for real) sees this thread and ends your misery (which has now become shared among a bunch of us!)

I'm a Garri Bardin fan, but can't say I've seen everything he ever did. So it's possible. I do have the 4 DVD set Masters of Russian Animation, and I don't think I've seen this film on any of those. If it was a vivid dream, definitely make it, it sounds like such a good film! My dreams never make that much sense, it's too well constructed, so I think it must exist. Damn, we usually do better than this! The honour of SMA is at stake!

Strider- maybe you could ask Kelly! He's an expert on obscure stop motion films, right?

I haven't talked to Kelly for quite a while, wouldn't feel right suddenly contacting him with a question like that. I did ask Sven, who runs an animation festival and has a nearly encyclopedic knowledge of animators and their films, and he was as stumped as we are. 

Thanks very much guys! Bardin looks really good. I liked the boxing one and especially the Matches! The boxing one was clever with the 1st aider using actual clay! :)
Thanks for that name Don, your former teacher!
Nick, my dreams are far from coherent. I hardly remember them.
Thanks for the compliment Strider. I'm not sure we'll ever be able to track this one down.
I'll be back on this website from time to time to talk about other films and ideas. I'll open up another discussion by then.
I think this kind of animation is the best vehicle for a lot of my story ideas. I need more time to write, let alone do any animation! I'll work on making some time for the writing at least.
Anyway, bye for now :)
Hi, I still couldn't track down that film. I don't suppose anyone had any new ideas or leads?
It seemed kind of oldish, not sure about 'old school' now. A lad in the States showed it to me on MySpace around 2007 or so. I'll have another look at that account if it's still there but I think the guy deleted his account.

Strider said:

It's not the Quays or Svankmajer, though searching for them might turn up films that look or feel like their work. Hm… who was that one guy, English I think, who did creepy films in that kind of vein? Wish I could remember. He did one with siamese twins who get separated in a hospital room and there's lots of death and murder and blood… what was that guy's name? It could be one of his. 

He also did one where a guy keeps looking through a peephole in his wall into a woman's room next door, and she puts on shows for him. I think he's a teacher. Anybody know who I'm talking about? 

There was a peephole in this film too, to the outside world.

You might try the Wayback Machine on Archive.org - they preserve old sites that have gone down. You just need to type in the url and if they have any archived versions of the site you'll be able to look at them. I don't think it preserves video, usually anyway, but the written info and pictures should still be there. 

Hmm,Wayback machine? Doesn't look promising, sorry. I don't think it's Bardin or Morgan. Altho Morgan did a similar one called Paranoid. He is disturbing and graphic though, often visceral and over the top.
The wind up one is the best I've ever seen, altho I've not seen that much sm animation.
Thanks.

In case I didn't make it very clear (which I don't think I did) - I was suggesting you use the Wayback Machine to look at the guy's MySpace page again. Even if the video is no longer posted there, maybe he wrote the title of it or some other info that could serve as a clue to finding it again. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

STOPMO NEWBIES
basic stopmo discussion

ANIMATOR TALK
experienced animators looking to improve

CAMERA & STAGE
animation camera, lighting and moco rigs

ANIMATION TOOLS & EQUIPMENT
animation tool and rigging discussion

STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS
frame capture, editing, and post-production

STORY
script, storyboarding and storyreel discussion

SOUND
lip-sync, sound effects and music

YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT
discuss your stopmo film

ARMATURES
ball & socket and wire armature discussion

MACHINE SHOP
metalwork tool & talk

SCULPTING
sculpture information and advice

HAIR & COSTUME
materials, patterns and technique

CASTING
foam, silicone and resin

CLAY
clay puppet construction

GENERAL PUPPET MAKING
other puppet fabrication issues

STOP MOTION SETS
set design and construction information

MODEL DEPARTMENT
miniature prop discussion

MATTE PAINTINGS
glass matte paintings and backgrounds

GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS

STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION

FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS

PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION

FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS

ANIMATION SCHOOLS

STOP MOTION BOOKS

STOP MOTION ON VIDEO

JOBS & PROJECTS
post here if you are looking for talent to hire

SWAP MEET
stop motion items for sale

CHAT BOARD
general discussion

SITE FEEDBACK
report bugs, comments and suggestions here

Latest Activity

Alice Wong updated their profile
45 minutes ago
Its Alive posted a blog post

Grad Film 2020

Hey so long time since posting, I'm currently back at uni doing my final year of animation and…See More
5 hours ago
Its Alive updated their profile
5 hours ago
Greyguy replied to Greyguy's discussion 8" armature for sale
"was going to leave the wire fingers of but maybe add a ball joint jawwell I can add them I suppose…"
18 hours ago

© 2020   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}