I recently purchased a Canon Rebel T5 (not T5i) and I need to buy a Nikon lens and lens adapter for it. I thought that would be easy but I've been frustrated for days trying to figure out what to buy. All I want is a basic standard lens. (I was advised to get a macro lens because they're a better quality)

I've never purchased a lens or an adapter before and when I started looking for options I was stunned by how many there are of both. There aren't so many adapters but, I can't seem to figure out what one works best with each lens or if it even makes a difference. One of the adapters has a long list of cameras it works with and the Rebel T5i is on the list but not the T5. From everything I read, it looks to me like those two models are pretty much the same except that the T5i has more digital whiz-bang electronics and a touch screen and so I figure it should accept the same lenses but, I have no idea.  I do know I need a 'D-series' manual aperture lens.

I think I know what I need to buy but, I'm nervous that I'm going to waste time buying the wrong thing. So does anybody have any clues, tips or pointers that can help me?

This is embarrassing because I've been in this business for so many years I should know this stuff but, I've always gotten by with cheap equipment or was shooting with someone else's camera. Now I finally have the cash to get my own stuff and I'm like "Duh... what do you mean 'other lens'"?

Views: 2113

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That power supply should be just fine. Says it works with your camera, that's the only thing I know to check with power supplies. Aside from checking for no-name generic brands rather than the expensive ones made by the camera companies. But yes, as Nick suggested, do be sure to get an EOS rear lens cap for each adapter to keep dust off the lenses. 

Sounds like you've got Christmas in August coming up in the next few weeks, as all these presents start rolling in! Fun times! 

That should work.  I use a non genuine Canon AC adapter on my 7d, and it works, but I notice two things.  When I turn the camera on, I get a message to say the camera cannot communicate with this battery, do I want to use it anyway?  I click ok, then it works fine.  Clearly Canon put something in theirs so the camera will recognise it, to discourage people buying cheaper 3rd party adapters. I often have the radio on when I animate, and it seems to cause some interference, I get a bit of static noise.  With the genuine Canon adaptor for my older 40d, I don't get the warning message or the static.  With the 7d, the Ack-e6 Canon adapter cost $160, so I went with the $14 cheapie.  It was from China with free shipping, and looks like this one with the rounded ends, only for the 7d:  http://www.ebay.ca/itm/ACK-E8-AC-Adapter-For-CANON-EOS-550D-600D-65...

I don't know if the rectangular ones are any better or not.  Some of the price difference is simply that it is being sold from a US retailer.  I see a genuine Canon one for US $64.95,  so it's not as expensive as the model I needed.

Thank you very much guys!! All your comments were super useful!
I already bought the power supply, the adapters and the EOS rear lens caps! I just need to wait for them, go to my parents place 8000km from here (I already planned this trip months ago) and see if everything works perfectly!! hehe. Fingers crossed!!! ;)

Thanks again!!!

I thought it might help to summarise the key points regarding choice of non-canon lenses and adapters...

Most other types of lens mount require an adapter with an extra lens to make then focus correctly. A few, Nikon included, but also Pentax K and pre-digital Olympus do not.

What you need is a non-Canon lens that has a manual aperture control ring. These tend to be on older lenses.

Ironically it is the cheap type adapter you want as these will not carry the aperture control from the camera through to the lens. This means the camera cannot open the iris between frames which is what causes aperture flicker.

Nikon are the usual choice of lenses, presumably because they are thought to be of the best quality, though Pentax K and the pre-digital Olympus OM lenses work just as well, using a simple lens-free adapter. Obviously third party lenses for these mounts will fit as well.

The Pentax K mount hasn't changed for ages and is also used by many other camera manufacturers. This means there are loads of compatible lenses available and they very often have the all-important manual aperture ring, even in some of the not-so-old models.

Kit

Well said- it's always good to know the overarching principles. Henceforth we shall call you Kit-Lens   (ok, no we won't!) 

It's reassuring to know there are still people in the world who's standard of humour matches my own

I do quite a bit of electronics as well, so have also been known as 'sir-Kit'.

Strider said:

Well said- it's always good to know the overarching principles. Henceforth we shall call you Kit-Lens   (ok, no we won't!) 

Great info I hope to purchase a canon soon so maybe the will be the one! How is it working for you

Fortunately/unfortunately I've had a lot of work this year making puppets & props and haven't shot anything aside from a few test shots. It worked perfectly for those tests so I'm happy about that but, I need to find reasons to use it some more.

I'll give you a reason ! I want more stopmotion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great info Kit

Kit said:

I thought it might help to summarise the key points regarding choice of non-canon lenses and adapters...

Most other types of lens mount require an adapter with an extra lens to make then focus correctly. A few, Nikon included, but also Pentax K and pre-digital Olympus do not.

What you need is a non-Canon lens that has a manual aperture control ring. These tend to be on older lenses.

Ironically it is the cheap type adapter you want as these will not carry the aperture control from the camera through to the lens. This means the camera cannot open the iris between frames which is what causes aperture flicker.

Nikon are the usual choice of lenses, presumably because they are thought to be of the best quality, though Pentax K and the pre-digital Olympus OM lenses work just as well, using a simple lens-free adapter. Obviously third party lenses for these mounts will fit as well.

The Pentax K mount hasn't changed for ages and is also used by many other camera manufacturers. This means there are loads of compatible lenses available and they very often have the all-important manual aperture ring, even in some of the not-so-old models.

Kit

Reply to Discussion

RSS

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

STOPMO NEWBIES
basic stopmo discussion

ANIMATOR TALK
experienced animators looking to improve

CAMERA & STAGE
animation camera, lighting and moco rigs

ANIMATION TOOLS & EQUIPMENT
animation tool and rigging discussion

STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS
frame capture, editing, and post-production

STORY
script, storyboarding and storyreel discussion

SOUND
lip-sync, sound effects and music

YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT
discuss your stopmo film

ARMATURES
ball & socket and wire armature discussion

MACHINE SHOP
metalwork tool & talk

SCULPTING
sculpture information and advice

HAIR & COSTUME
materials, patterns and technique

CASTING
foam, silicone and resin

CLAY
clay puppet construction

GENERAL PUPPET MAKING
other puppet fabrication issues

STOP MOTION SETS
set design and construction information

MODEL DEPARTMENT
miniature prop discussion

MATTE PAINTINGS
glass matte paintings and backgrounds

GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS

STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION

FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS

PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION

FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS

ANIMATION SCHOOLS

STOP MOTION BOOKS

STOP MOTION ON VIDEO

JOBS & PROJECTS
post here if you are looking for talent to hire

SWAP MEET
stop motion items for sale

CHAT BOARD
general discussion

SITE FEEDBACK
report bugs, comments and suggestions here

Latest Activity

justin rasch replied to Larry Arpin's discussion Jim Danforth's West of Kashmir fx footage
"awesome!"
13 hours ago
justin rasch replied to Ron Cole's discussion A Bit Of Realistic Stopmo In a Live Action Short
"This has probably been out forever! been years since i have been back here....Looks GREAT!! Love…"
13 hours ago
Juan Quirós posted a video

Planeta Chimæra Parte 1 La bienvenida (stop motion/ Animatoste) Subtitled

La primera parte de esta aventura, donde Vrillon un ser interdimensional entra por primera vez al Planeta Chimæra First part of this adventure, where Vrillon...
16 hours ago
Tyson Van Wagoner commented on felicia rose's photo
Thumbnail

Father

"LOVELY! DO you have a tutorial on how you did the clothing by chance? This is exactly what I'm…"
yesterday

© 2020   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}