Came across this in my travels a brick technique similar to the one I use with the addition of white powdered pigment as used in the preparation of oil paint. This has the effect of making the bricks look as if they are really old and have that lime leaching look to them.

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=31222&hl=

Views: 106

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks for the link. Those are some nice bricks.

Great timing on that. I have a brick wall coming up. 

BTW, I'm sure I don't have to tell anyone there is much to be learned from the miniaturist/modeler crowd. If anyone is ever in Tucson, I highly recommend visiting this place:

http://www.theminitimemachine.org/

I worked on the design team that built this museum and its first exhibits. There are some amazing pieces in the collection. (A fair amount of junk, too, but the historical miniatures are worth the entry fee.)

It's a great look, and the technique isn't too complicated/difficult.

Have seen something similar, except a ballpoint pen and wooden clay-sculpting tools were used to define edges of bricks (you use a mechanical pencil?).

If you want to add more surface texture with tiny indentations/pits (rather than a texture of raised bumps from applying a sand/glue solution), press course/gritty sandpaper into the surface of the foam before treating it with gesso.

I wouldn't have thought of using dry pigment powder. You've shown it does a lot for the appearance/texture, so I should try it some time.

good work, great technique.

Remind me a job that i worked in my studio a few years ago.

Jerusalen Wailing Wall.

Attachments:

Very nice Mateus whats the scale there 1:87

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Puppet Putty

Puppet Putty is formulated by clay animator Don Carlson. Properties include colors that do not bleed on your hands, a matte finish, cleans up with water, is very light weight, firm, non-greasy and has a silky texture.

MESSAGE BOARD QUICK LINKS

Message Board

LIGHTING!

Started by Becky Weston in NEWBIE CORNER. Last reply by Don Carlson 1 hour ago. 17 Replies

Hello fellow stop motion-ers!I have managed to teach myself enough to make a few stop motions, but I still don't quite understand what type of lighting/bulbs to use to prevent the subtle flickering throughout an animation? I want to be able to…Continue

Tags: flicker, no, cheap, lighting

Dragonframe Live View looks like thermal camera!

Started by Christopher Olsen in STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS. Last reply by Christopher Olsen 1 hour ago. 7 Replies

Anybody have any idea why my live view screen looks like this? It is like the camera only wants to show a single color channel in live view. The actual capture looks fine...but if I have to animate using this crappy looking single-channel pass that…Continue

Fitting components inside a slush cast head

Started by Anthony Leigh in GENERAL PUPPET MAKING. Last reply by Anthony Leigh 12 hours ago. 6 Replies

I have three heads which I are going to have moulds made of them, and then are going to be slush cast. I want to put little wooden blocks inside the head with holes for the eyes to sit in, wire and epoxy for the nose and epoxy putty teeth with a…Continue

Tags: slush, head, cast, mould, latex

Now Taking Commissions...

Started by Paul O'Brien in GENERAL PUPPET MAKING 23 hours ago. 0 Replies

Hi All!After a few long months of clearing some freelance work I am now finally in the position to fit in some commissioned stop-motion work. I have space available to produce puppets of all kinds. A full service can be offered from character design…Continue

Tags: services, armatures, animation, puppets

Puppet casting in flexible polyurethane

Started by Jack Spiggle in NEWBIE CORNER. Last reply by StopmoNick 23 hours ago. 3 Replies

Hey guys, Im new here and this is my first post so be gentle =3. Im looking to do a simple, 1-3 min (roughly) stop motion "exercise" just to see what I can do. I've made the storyboard, am attempting an anamatic and I am almost ready to start making…Continue

Tags: silicone, polyurethane, flexible, puppets, Casting

Making silicone puppet

Started by Hani in CASTING. Last reply by Simon Tytherleigh yesterday. 20 Replies

Hi everyoneI'm working on a puppet of a girl, and I want to use silicone for the skin. I tried to make it of Dragon Skin 10 but the result goes too smooth and looks very doll like - as in the picture here:…Continue

Photos

Loading…

Events

BLOGS

Create a Blog for your personal page. Go to My Page and click on Blog Posts. Access all Blog Posts here.

Members

© 2014   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}