I'm pretty sure we have talked about this before, but I can't find the thread about preventing sunlight through a window from causing light fluctuations on set. 

After some experimentation, I found the best and cheapest sulution is to make a diffusion curtain out of heavy black garbage bags. Some windows will be higher or wider than the bag will cover, so you might have to tape two or more of them together. But you will end up with a large sheet that does a very nice job of blocking out any light you don't want, even you can still see some light coming through with your eyes.  At the end of the day, if the camera doesn't see it, it doesn't exist. I like to take test shots of the set with no lighting to make sure I'm getting a completely black image. Then I light from there. What this does is keep you from bringing the exposure up too high to where ambient light will be seen on the camera and cause fluctuations as the sun goes behind a cloud or comes out from behind one. More often than not, you will find that if you light and expose from complete darkness, you will be wanting to  stop down the camera to close up the iris more than you will want to be opening it up. In some cases, the bags might need to be more than a layer thick, as in where you need a stop of F/16. In the case of using a higher stop like F/5.6, you won't need to completely block the window, but just dim it several stops.

I've tried blankets, cotton sheets, cardboard, and aluminum foil - and so far, the black bags attached with masking tape have worked the best. They even allow access to the window on a hot day when you need some air. The cardboard tended to not want to stay up, the aluminum foil bowed in and bounced light everywhere, and the cotton sheets weren't thick enough, so the black bags ended up being perfect for my setup. Hope this helps someone who is wondering how they're going to animate in a room that wasn't designed to be animated in. You can even use this setup in hotel or motel rooms when you're on vacation.

-Don

Views: 1331

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hahaha! I hear that. I have a low-hanging ceiling fan I'd love to yank down!

Funny you should say that- I was thinking about high ceiling alterations too :D

Reply to Discussion

RSS

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

STOPMO NEWBIES
basic stopmo discussion

ANIMATOR TALK
experienced animators looking to improve

CAMERA & STAGE
animation camera, lighting and moco rigs

ANIMATION TOOLS & EQUIPMENT
animation tool and rigging discussion

STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS
frame capture, editing, and post-production

STORY
script, storyboarding and storyreel discussion

SOUND
lip-sync, sound effects and music

YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT
discuss your stopmo film

ARMATURES
ball & socket and wire armature discussion

MACHINE SHOP
metalwork tool & talk

SCULPTING
sculpture information and advice

HAIR & COSTUME
materials, patterns and technique

CASTING
foam, silicone and resin

CLAY
clay puppet construction

GENERAL PUPPET MAKING
other puppet fabrication issues

STOP MOTION SETS
set design and construction information

MODEL DEPARTMENT
miniature prop discussion

MATTE PAINTINGS
glass matte paintings and backgrounds

GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS

STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION

FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS

PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION

FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS

ANIMATION SCHOOLS

STOP MOTION BOOKS

STOP MOTION ON VIDEO

JOBS & PROJECTS
post here if you are looking for talent to hire

SWAP MEET
stop motion items for sale

CHAT BOARD
general discussion

SITE FEEDBACK
report bugs, comments and suggestions here

Latest Activity

David Martin updated their profile
9 hours ago
Ina J replied to Kit's discussion Two StickyBones puppets going dirt cheap.
"Awesome! I believe I can't PM you until you accept my friend request, though. Once you've…"
9 hours ago
Kit replied to Kit's discussion Two StickyBones puppets going dirt cheap.
"Yes that would be fine. PM me with your address (I think you can do a PM on this forum?) and…"
12 hours ago
StopmoNick replied to Veejay's discussion Tripod tips and Stop Motion Studio question
"There are plenty of clamp devices for iPhones and iPads that attach to any standard tripod.  I…"
15 hours ago

© 2020   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}