If you love stop motion, please go vote for this show!

Brand new Adult Swim pilot Übermansion staring Bryan Cranston is now online and looking for your vote! If you love stop-motion and wanna see more of it give it your vote love! Thanks!

http://video.adultswim.com/promotions/201307_pilots/ubermansion.html

Views: 538

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

To me a much worse problem is the endemic disrespect and sarcasm that's been pumped into mass media since the 80's, especially because it masquerades as harmless humor. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying my generation and the ones before are never sarcastic! Obviously sarcasm has always been with us. But it seems to be the main stock in trade of modern cartoons and a lot of live action shows too, and it's the pervasiveness of it that's a problem. Kids grow up seeing it and think there's nothing wrong with being like that themselves. And when you really examine it, sarcasm is the antithesis of honesty and integrity. 

It's a mask - a snarky attitude people hide behind so they can say vague offensive things without having to own up to it.  Because if somebody takes you seriously you can always say "Oh yeah, like I was being serious!", or you can say "Oh, you thought I was kidding?"  -- so see, there's always an escape hatch. You don't have to commit to a point of view. It's a way of armoring your vulnerability. 

I've known a few younger people (like 20-somethings) who are habitually sarcastic, and who seem to literally be addicted to it. It is an addictive behavior, and that makes it really insidious.  

I see sarcasm and insolence as a toxic mix that's poisoned the younger generations to a large extent. Not everyone obviously. But it's like talking to somebody who refuses to reveal their true nature - they refuse to lay their real values and beliefs on the line. And I don't think they realize it sometimes, or when they do they think it's hilarious.  But it literally shuts down communication with them, unless you just want to sit and exchange snarky comments with no real meaning. I think a society raised on this kind of television is seriously devalued in ways they are themselves totally unaware of.

I definitely see your point!

I think sarcasm...when done right...by comedy greats ...is actually an artform... i dont however think seth and the gang are "greats" ...infact they seem to fair on the other end of the spectrum for me personally... but i believe comedy of all forms much like driving or hunting should require a liscense...lol.... because as you said...too many people are using it...and they ARE NOT funny when doing it .... thus reducing the artform to a defense mechanism.

At the end of the day i am really just looking for stop motion inspirations and techniques...and feel lucky that adult swim has embraced it and show it nightly. Bout to go get my robot chicken fix right now! lol

cc

Well said!! Agreed on all counts. Well, except for the chicken fix part - you can have all the chicken to yourself! Hope it's finger lickin' good! 

hahahahah they just did a parody of the terrorist saga in munich mixed with hanna barbara characters from laff-a-lympics... very poor taste... i think i may take your side now! lolol

cc

Oh, and I actually like Seth Green in movies and TV shows I've seen him in. But his Adult Swim productions reveal his more mean-spirited side. 

And since nobody else has commented on it yet, very clever title! It's just like

Übermenschen ---

The only thing i really enjoyed him in was "Party Monster"... i had seen the original documentary and he really nailed the character...

I tolerate his horrible character voices long enough to get through RC...

i guess if i ever get any good at stop motion this thread may one day come back to haunt me if im clammoring for a job there...hahahaha

cc

Yeah, it's definitely not an option for me... 

It's too vulgar for my sense of humor, but to each his own.  It's art.

Strider, I'm glad you appreciate (and are motivated by) innovation and originality, and that you support a diverse range of styles and techniques.  This is encouraging for me to read!

I don't think I have the same taste in stop motion as most people, so I don't expect to see eye to eye with everyone on this. But I, for one, *love* raunchy stop-mo. Even back in 2006 when a lot of people were complaining about Robot Chicken giving trashy pop culture back rubs, I was championing the cause (maybe I'm just evil, mwahahaha). I see it as a form of anarchy against the uptight people who make all the rules for society to follow. You can do anything you want in animation- anything. And no one can tell you that you can't.  For what it's worth, I think the animation in this is rather good. The quality of the puppets is really high for a television pilot. It looks like care was put into the fabrication. The pink guy has a classic, sculpted kind of look to him. I hope this series gets picked up. Of the two SBS pilots I saw this week, I like this one more. Especially with Bryan Cranston voicing the main character. Strider turned me on to Breaking Bad and Cranston's acting is mesmerizing in everything he does. I think, after a few episodes of this show, he will have fleshed out this character and created something people care about. After all, who wasn't rooting for him in Breaking Bad? He's the BAD guy!

This is a very interesting thread. I'd have to say that I'm part of the anti-sick humor/anti-occult camp. Strider's comments about pop culture's effects on society in general are very astute. I guess I'm part of the older crowd too (soon to be 43).

That is the funniest thing I have seen in a while. Full marks for the inspiring stop motion.  Were you involved in making that?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

STOPMO NEWBIES
basic stopmo discussion

ANIMATOR TALK
experienced animators looking to improve

CAMERA & STAGE
animation camera, lighting and moco rigs

ANIMATION TOOLS & EQUIPMENT
animation tool and rigging discussion

STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS
frame capture, editing, and post-production

STORY
script, storyboarding and storyreel discussion

SOUND
lip-sync, sound effects and music

YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT
discuss your stopmo film

ARMATURES
ball & socket and wire armature discussion

MACHINE SHOP
metalwork tool & talk

SCULPTING
sculpture information and advice

HAIR & COSTUME
materials, patterns and technique

CASTING
foam, silicone and resin

CLAY
clay puppet construction

GENERAL PUPPET MAKING
other puppet fabrication issues

STOP MOTION SETS
set design and construction information

MODEL DEPARTMENT
miniature prop discussion

MATTE PAINTINGS
glass matte paintings and backgrounds

GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS

STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION

FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS

PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION

FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS

ANIMATION SCHOOLS

STOP MOTION BOOKS

STOP MOTION ON VIDEO

JOBS & PROJECTS
post here if you are looking for talent to hire

SWAP MEET
stop motion items for sale

CHAT BOARD
general discussion

SITE FEEDBACK
report bugs, comments and suggestions here

Latest Activity

StopmoNick replied to Calvin Carl Bond's discussion I need help
"Nicely put together video!  But yes, the flicker is noticeable.  I suspect it is from…"
7 hours ago
Calvin Carl Bond replied to Calvin Carl Bond's discussion I need help
"Hmmm well, I use a webcam so I don't know how to change settings on that, and I don't…"
20 hours ago
Greyguy replied to Greyguy's discussion 8" armature for sale
"thanks i will have this for sale soon :)"
22 hours ago
Simon Tytherleigh replied to John A (filmmaker)'s discussion Dreams and Nightmares
"I would add to that. Stop motion requires such precise organisation, and often live action…"
yesterday

© 2020   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}