Hello wise board of SMA!

I am planing to make simple moco unit with Arduino system. I got great help from previous post about the subject and from Simon Tytherleighs comments.Things have developped plesant ways since last time I looked to this subject. Seems that it is possible to do system with ~400€!

One thing what puzzles me is bearings of pan and tilt head. I am planning to make U shaped one.
Have you used some axial ball bearing for Pan? Maybe something like this:
https://www.vxb.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=Kit7852

Or do you have it without any bearings, just wax or something?
How about Tilt?

Thank you,

-Tatu

Views: 221

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thank you Simon for all good info! I really appreciate it. It is long process to figure all things out from scratch. I think that I am ready to order the parts now.

I will post some results when i get so far.

Glad to be of help. Good luck! It is quite a challenge, but very satisfying once you get it going. Expect to have to modify things a little to improve them as you go. I look forward to seeing your progress. Go Tatu!

I got my moco running!

The rail is Neewer and was supprisingly good for 60£. For board I got Mega 2560  with RAMPS 1.4 Controller with 5 A4988 Stepper Motor Drivers. I had to adjust the DFmoco code a bit to get it work with Ramps 1.4. But now it works. + I managed to add small led control to it for practical lights.

Looks great. You could consider using a Fotomate sliding mount for the camera. Also, my sense is that the base should be as wide as possible for stability, but I know the commercial units limit this.

Well done! Now for the tests. Try repeating a move, then putting it into something like after effects and overlaying the footage to see if it lines up. This is a test of backlash and accurate bearings.

Looks great. You could consider using a Fotomate sliding mount for the camera. Also, my sense is that the base should be as wide as possible for stability, but I know the commercial units limit this.

Well done! Now for the tests. Try repeating a move, then putting it into something like after effects and overlaying the footage to see if it lines up. This is a test of backlash and accurate bearings.

Here is small update about the project. Soon I have to start animate!
There is some shots about camera rig:
Camera rig

Main reason for making stepper motor system was lighting. 1/2 of my film is located by fire. So I wanted to make that easy as possible. For that I needed two of cell carousels. Camera rig was something extra on top of that.

Carousel test

Test Result

-Tatu
pohjavirta.art

Nice work, Tatu. It is very satisfying getting these steppers to do some hard work for you! Did you see Edu Puertas YouTube video?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tXef1zVm2Xg

Your results are looking good. Fire seems very hard to get right.

Yep! Edu Puertas has good easy style wit cable ties and all.

I have modified DFmoco code for RAMPS 1.4 shield. So if someone needs that code, feel free to contact me. Figuring out pins was time consuming. And I managed to burn one set of Arduino and shield, because I did not remove D1 diode from RAMPS 1.4. But now everything works - at least for now.

-Tatu
pohjavirta.art

This is interesting. Why did you decide to use the RAMPS shield? I just used a Mega 2560 and connected it directly to black box drivers. I did find the jumper wires rather feeble and wobbly, but mostly they work ok. Does the shield mean you can connect more positively?

If you have a picture of your Arduino set up that would be great to see. 

Shield seemed to be easy solution with less connections. And 40 € for Mega, Ramps + 5 drivers, seemed to be bargain. I put stuff to case of old tv-digibox. There is allso power source and small sircuit board for better stepper cable connection.

Thanks. That looks good. I have used an old PC case to enclose mine. There just isn't a neat way to do the wiring!

I have used 4 pin aviation sockets and plugs for my connections to the steppers, so I can unplug the unit easily. But the costs soon grow, and you have to solder them well.

Not sure if I will go towards using a shield for my next rig, as it needs 6 axes, and I have 3 extra black box drivers already. But if you are happy to share the code, it might be worth posting here for someone to find.

My next rig will be a small jib arm one, so it can move freely in all dimensions. I think the big rig will only get used for epic landscape shots!!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

STOPMO NEWBIES
basic stopmo discussion

ANIMATOR TALK
experienced animators looking to improve

CAMERA & STAGE
animation camera, lighting and moco rigs

ANIMATION TOOLS & EQUIPMENT
animation tool and rigging discussion

STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS
frame capture, editing, and post-production

STORY
script, storyboarding and storyreel discussion

SOUND
lip-sync, sound effects and music

YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT
discuss your stopmo film

ARMATURES
ball & socket and wire armature discussion

MACHINE SHOP
metalwork tool & talk

SCULPTING
sculpture information and advice

HAIR & COSTUME
materials, patterns and technique

CASTING
foam, silicone and resin

CLAY
clay puppet construction

GENERAL PUPPET MAKING
other puppet fabrication issues

STOP MOTION SETS
set design and construction information

MODEL DEPARTMENT
miniature prop discussion

MATTE PAINTINGS
glass matte paintings and backgrounds

GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS

STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION

FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS

PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION

FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS

ANIMATION SCHOOLS

STOP MOTION BOOKS

STOP MOTION ON VIDEO

JOBS & PROJECTS
post here if you are looking for talent to hire

SWAP MEET
stop motion items for sale

CHAT BOARD
general discussion

SITE FEEDBACK
report bugs, comments and suggestions here

Latest Activity

bigwig commented on Ian Harding's photo
Thumbnail

Zey The Mouse Skateboarding

"love the beaky guy :]"
3 hours ago
bigwig commented on bigwig's video
Thumbnail

happybirthday4.1

"thanks :]"
3 hours ago
bigwig replied to Jet Zhang's discussion Beaver sculpture need suggestions.
"he looks cute,,,,,,,,i find legs hard to do as well so im not much help........i just try and make…"
3 hours ago
Mozen posted a discussion

I made another test animation - walk cycle

Heyo,Here's my first walk cycle test. I have access to my school's studio for the next month, so…See More
yesterday

© 2019   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}