Attaching separite pieces to complex silicone model...

Hi everyone!

I have created a  silicone model (see attached pic) but it is in separite pieces and I was wondering if I could get some advice on the best way to attach them. The model is made from Platsil Gel 25.

I have bought clear RTV silicone  to attach the piece to the main trunk at its point of contact but am unsure how to get a smooth silicone transition that conceals the - at present - very visible seam. I have been told I can paste silicone over it with more appropriately coloured platsil gel 25, thickened with tinthix. Does this sound feasible? Im worried there might be a transparency that leaves the join visible through the silicone. I am also worried that the new layer wont be smooth.

On a seperate note - I also have slight colour differation between the pieces. I am planning on painting the model with silicone pigments - is this correctable during this process or will I have to recast?

Any info on both these questions greatly appreciated

Tim

Views: 469

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Simon, 

Hope you don't mind but could I pick your brains on something?

Im working on aanother silicone sculpture now - (see attached photo - its a miniature rough shape of what im planning on making).

My question is how would I best make the mould for this?

I initially thought put a shim running around the underneath (flat bottom) of it but not sure how the shim would deal with the central area where the two parts intersect.

I also thought - if I made the sculpture so the point of contact was flat with the surface that I could make a one part mould and then fill with foam and seal with a few layers ofpainted on silicone. 

Hope that makes some kind of sense? Any advice much appreciated.

Attachments:

here is a pic of the underside and where ideally I would like the shim to be...hopefully this will help make sense of my explanation. For some reason I cant get my head around the implication of the shim meeting in the middle point and how that would affect the mould.

Attachments:

My initial thought is that you would need a central lift-out mould section.

Can you give me a bit more information on it? How big will it be approximately? Presumably it will be animated. Will the crossover sections be separate or joined?

Approximately 35 cm x 15cm. I have attached a sketch which is more of a likeness to the final sculpt (apologies for the crude subject matter) . Initially I thought it best for the crossover section to be joined as one but thinking on, if I do the two creatures in two seperate parts and make the trunks flexible i can put them in any shape I want. though this would compromise detail/realism where the trunk enters the opposing creature.

Attachments:

Ah, quite big. Which gives you more room. If you make two separate creatures, then your crossover isn't a problem, but the challenge becomes how to link them effectively. Perhaps making a small bulb on the end of the 'tube' and a corresponding hollow for it to fit and hold in? 

I didn't get what you were saying about using shim on the underside in the earlier post. Shim is OK for making a two part mould, but it damages the sculpt where you poke it in. Better is to build walls using soft clay, cast one side, then remove walls and cast the other. But given the complexity of your other pieces, I reckon you already know all that!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

STOPMO JAM on Facebook

Tom Brierton's Kickstarter

A dragon teaches her child how to fly, but in doing so, realizes that her training will come at a price.

All or nothing. This project will only be funded if it reaches its goal by Mon, November 13 2017 5:23 PM PST.

BLOGS

Create a Blog for your personal page. Go to My Page and click on Blog Posts. Access all Blog Posts here.

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

STOPMO NEWBIES
basic stopmo discussion

ANIMATOR TALK
experienced animators looking to improve

CAMERA & STAGE
animation camera, lighting and moco rigs

ANIMATION TOOLS & EQUIPMENT
animation tool and rigging discussion

STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS
frame capture, editing, and post-production

STORY
script, storyboarding and storyreel discussion

SOUND
lip-sync, sound effects and music

YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT
discuss your stopmo film

ARMATURES
ball & socket and wire armature discussion

MACHINE SHOP
metalwork tool & talk

SCULPTING
sculpture information and advice

HAIR & COSTUME
materials, patterns and technique

CASTING
foam, silicone and resin

CLAY
clay puppet construction

GENERAL PUPPET MAKING
other puppet fabrication issues

STOP MOTION SETS
set design and construction information

MODEL DEPARTMENT
miniature prop discussion

MATTE PAINTINGS
glass matte paintings and backgrounds

GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS

STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION

FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS

PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION

FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS

ANIMATION SCHOOLS

STOP MOTION BOOKS

STOP MOTION ON VIDEO

JOBS & PROJECTS
post here if you are looking for talent to hire

SWAP MEET
stop motion items for sale

CHAT BOARD
general discussion

SITE FEEDBACK
report bugs, comments and suggestions here

SPAM ALERT!

StopMotionAnimation.com has been hit hard by spammers lately. They have been creating several fake accounts every day, contacting and harassing members and posting suspicious content. If you see anything suspicious, don't click on any links, instead, send me their User Name. I will suspend them. 

Questions & Feedback
Report Spam or Abuse

© 2017   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}