Article: "Stop admiring Frankenweenie! Why stopmotion doesn't move me."

Views: 1612

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Painters are stupid. Why do they waste their time doing something photography does so much better!

The fireworks were a bit bland, I thought I'd throw in some proper crackers 

Seriously though, I was just thinking out loud. Thanks for the replies and thoughts so far. 

I personally don't think that CGI is the direct opponent of stopmo. I think generally, also in the 80s and before, stopmo has been an underdog to 2D too, or any other technique that is just a bit more "refined". I think with stopmo you are always reminded it's a trick, particularly if it isn't executed well and you see the scale of the materials etc. Perhaps audiences relax a bit more in good CGI and 2D because they don't have to 'wonder' too much, if I'm explaining myself right.

Also let's not forget that tho there is plenty of 2D and CGI out there, very rarely do you see features outside of Disney/Pixar/Dreamworks. E.g. my favorite 2D animation studio in the world - http://www.headless.es/ - has only been able to release one (UTTERLY BEAUTIFUL) feature that sizzled out because nobody could be bothered to come and see it - despite being child friendly.

I think lots of it just has to do with that audience want to go into a children's movie and want to know what to expect. 

Also the reason why stopmo features are around the creepy theme atm is two things: Because Nightmare did well enough in the years after, so now if it's Tim Burton or Henry Sellick, studios "risk" putting money in because they know at least a certain following will come to see it. And because stopmo does non-humans well.

Strider said:

.. And here I thought yu just posted this thread to start a fight and sit back and watch the fireworks! 



Oldschooler said:

Painters are stupid. Why do they waste their time doing something photography does so much better!

"So why does Hollywood still bother with stop-mo? The answer may come as surprise. In spite of the vast amount of work it requires, it's actually the cheaper route. Remember how we were all promised that computers would strip our lives of exertion and expense?"

I don't know about this, stop-motion is cheaper cause there's not many interested in investing... The only thing I can see that affects mainstream stop-motion is the same old boring children stories...

My opinion if you think those stories are amazing, good, i'm not challenging!

That's my opinion on why stop.motion loses crowds cause it's too childish, you have awesome CGI movies for adults! Plus either you love Burton or you hate him and many associate his stories with stop-motion.

Has a Designer i gotta tell you there was a time when people tought Photoshop alone did it all... and that's not true! you see more photography and hand work now, most GOOD designers use the computer has the last step! everything else is done by hand... just follow the trends!

I think what oldschooler meant, was that just because photography exists it doesn't mean that painting as an art form shouldn't exist, much like CGI and Stop-motion, CGI is photography, Stop-motion is paiting!

Bianca Ansems said:



Oldschooler said:

Painters are stupid. Why do they waste their time doing something photography does so much better!

If you look at the number of live action films that failed to live up to expectations at the box office or failed to turn a profit at all, one would have to conclude that live action films are a bad investment and people should stop making them. The same could be said for CGI and 2D animated films. Look at all the CGI and 2D films that garnered only a very small audience and you must conclude that CGI and 2D films are also bad investments and people should stop making them.

What's my point? Stop motion is in an almost unique position when it comes to judging the 'worthiness' of making them because there are so few of them made... therefore, each and every stop motion film has the weight of the world on it's shoulders to turn a massive profit. If a single stop motion film fails to be a smashing success, the whole industry is judged by it and people start saying 'See? I told you stop motion is dead!"

To make a comparison, look at musical films - There are even fewer of those produced (I can't even remember the last musical film) and so if someone got the guts to make a musical film today, everyone would (again) sit up ready to judge whether musicals are a good or bad investment based solely on ONE film. If that film does well they say "Musicals are BACK BABY!!!" but if that film falls short, everyone says "See? I told you musicals are a horrible idea!".

None of that even accounts for the state of the economy which can kill the success of a film simply because people are watching their pennies and limiting the number of films they go out to see. Nor does it take competition with other films that come out concurrently which can steal the movie going audience away from otherwise really great films... making the film that loses that competition SEEM to have not been a good investment.

We live in a very judgmental and extreme society today, in which everything is put into just one of two categories - Things are judged as either being AWESOME! or it SUCKS! with no categories in the middle.

Because of the challenge. That's like saying. I'm an artist I can use my hands to create. Wonderful. Now where's my computer I'll do it all with that ? Seems your comment was pretty stupid.

Oldschooler said:

Painters are stupid. Why do they waste their time doing something photography does so much better!

Peter - I know Oldschooler, (met him in person!) and his comment was sarcasm mean to defend hand crafted artistry OVER any method that seems 'easier'. Oldschooler is actually one Hell of a great painter, his work is phenomenal!

Sarcasm frequently gets confused as being a serious opinion but, I can personally vouch for Oldschooler's devotion to the hand crafted arts... the man purchased an abandoned school for the purpose of transforming it into a stop-mo studio!

I blame a lack of education for tat LOL.  :)

Ron Cole said:

If you look at the number of live action films that failed to live up to expectations at the box office or failed to turn a profit at all, one would have to conclude that live action films are a bad investment and people should stop making them. The same could be said for CGI and 2D animated films. Look at all the CGI and 2D films that garnered only a very small audience and you must conclude that CGI and 2D films are also bad investments and people should stop making them.

What's my point? Stop motion is in an almost unique position when it comes to judging the 'worthiness' of making them because there are so few of them made... therefore, each and every stop motion film has the weight of the world on it's shoulders to turn a massive profit. If a single stop motion film fails to be a smashing success, the whole industry is judged by it and people start saying 'See? I told you stop motion is dead!"

To make a comparison, look at musical films - There are even fewer of those produced (I can't even remember the last musical film) and so if someone got the guts to make a musical film today, everyone would (again) sit up ready to judge whether musicals are a good or bad investment based solely on ONE film. If that film does well they say "Musicals are BACK BABY!!!" but if that film falls short, everyone says "See? I told you musicals are a horrible idea!".

None of that even accounts for the state of the economy which can kill the success of a film simply because people are watching their pennies and limiting the number of films they go out to see. Nor does it take competition with other films that come out concurrently which can steal the movie going audience away from otherwise really great films... making the film that loses that competition SEEM to have not been a good investment.

We live in a very judgmental and extreme society today, in which everything is put into just one of two categories - Things are judged as either being AWESOME! or it SUCKS! with no categories in the middle.

Ye I figured he meant it sarcastically  But it was too awesome a meme too not use in this situation.

As for what you said: The other day I was painting a portrait in Photoshop and a traditional artist who has never used was watching me and after hours of working on an eye alone he said: "Oh wow, so the computer doesn't do it for you?" I was so shocked. "No of course not, it's like normal painting, normal colour theory etc!" He was so surprised, he thought Photoshop painted for me haha

Anyways, Stopmo isn't cheaper. They just give it less budget.

Bernardo Marinho said:

I think what oldschooler meant, was that just because photography exists it doesn't mean that painting as an art form shouldn't exist, much like CGI and Stop-motion, CGI is photography, Stop-motion is paiting!

EXACTLY! BAM! I had a client that thought that if i pressed a button photoshop would make an entire website/movie/3D animation on its own... seriously... just press the button!

Bianca Ansems said:

Ye I figured he meant it sarcastically  But it was too awesome a meme too not use in this situation.

As for what you said: The other day I was painting a portrait in Photoshop and a traditional artist who has never used was watching me and after hours of working on an eye alone he said: "Oh wow, so the computer doesn't do it for you?" I was so shocked. "No of course not, it's like normal painting, normal colour theory etc!" He was so surprised, he thought Photoshop painted for me haha

Anyways, Stopmo isn't cheaper. They just give it less budget.

Bernardo Marinho said:

I think what oldschooler meant, was that just because photography exists it doesn't mean that painting as an art form shouldn't exist, much like CGI and Stop-motion, CGI is photography, Stop-motion is paiting!

Ha. Many moons ago I had a manager who did the same thing. This was back in the 1980s, and macintosh computers were just getting started. We had a little mac plus and used it for desktop publishing. One time, at about 4 in the afternoon, the manager handed me and another person a stack of documents about an inch thick and said she needed them typeset and formatted into a pamphlet...by 5. When we protested she said, and I quote, "Use the mac! It does it all for you!"

Sighhhhhh.

Bernardo Marinho said:

EXACTLY! BAM! I had a client that thought that if i pressed a button photoshop would make an entire website/movie/3D animation on its own... seriously... just press the button!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

STOPMO NEWBIES
basic stopmo discussion

ANIMATOR TALK
experienced animators looking to improve

CAMERA & STAGE
animation camera, lighting and moco rigs

ANIMATION TOOLS & EQUIPMENT
animation tool and rigging discussion

STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS
frame capture, editing, and post-production

STORY
script, storyboarding and storyreel discussion

SOUND
lip-sync, sound effects and music

YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT
discuss your stopmo film

ARMATURES
ball & socket and wire armature discussion

MACHINE SHOP
metalwork tool & talk

SCULPTING
sculpture information and advice

HAIR & COSTUME
materials, patterns and technique

CASTING
foam, silicone and resin

CLAY
clay puppet construction

GENERAL PUPPET MAKING
other puppet fabrication issues

STOP MOTION SETS
set design and construction information

MODEL DEPARTMENT
miniature prop discussion

MATTE PAINTINGS
glass matte paintings and backgrounds

GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS

STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION

FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS

PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION

FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS

ANIMATION SCHOOLS

STOP MOTION BOOKS

STOP MOTION ON VIDEO

JOBS & PROJECTS
post here if you are looking for talent to hire

SWAP MEET
stop motion items for sale

CHAT BOARD
general discussion

SITE FEEDBACK
report bugs, comments and suggestions here

Latest Activity

Jasper Kuipers replied to Iulian Demetrescu's discussion Pigment oil clay
"Hi Iulian,I have had some nice results using powdered paint pigments. The stuff that is used to…"
8 hours ago
StopmoNick replied to Daniel Svensson's discussion App that can remove rigs?
"I don't know what TV Paint on an Android device is like, didn't know there was one.…"
Thursday
Eric J. Nelson posted a video

Winter Fun at the Skating Rink | Stop Motion | American Girl

Winter’s finally here! Time to lace up our skates and hit the ice. Whether you’re a figure skater or hockey player, we're all on the same team when we help e...
Wednesday
Rob Nugen replied to Anthony Scott's discussion Please Introduce Yourself
"Welcome to the community!  I look forward to seeing some of your work.  :-)"
Wednesday

© 2019   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}