This is a long shot... but hey, why not ask?

My brother is a devoted diver of dumpsters, and often comes up with surprisingly fantastic finds.  One of these was a camera bag containing a 60's era Anscomark camera with various accessories, including three lenses (35mm, 50mm, and 100mm).  The 50 appears to be jammed in the camera body (probably why the whole kit wound up my brother's salvage bag), but in theory the 35 and 100 might be usable on my T3i with the right adapter.

Problem is, I know jack about lens mounts, and have no idea how to go about searching for an adapter.  I found what appears to be a manual for the kit, but it's incredibly basic and tells me nothing about the mount.  If they used some standard mount, there might be a cheap adapter for it?  But the manufacturer hasn't been in business for a few decades, so if they used their own mount there's no hope of that.

They're not nice enough lenses to justify a whole lot of time or expense getting them to play nice with my camera, but if one of you fine folks knows old lenses, maybe they could live again.

Views: 297

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Wow, nice! 

Do those use a screw mount, where it just screws into the camera body, or is it a bayonet type mount where there are tabs that fit into slots around the mount and you just have to pop the lens in and rotate it like a quarter turn to lock it in place? Or something else? 

It's a bayonet type.

Ok, did a little digging. I believe that's a rangefinder camera, judging from the totally flat look of it in the manual, plus the fact that it says when the lens is clicked into place it's aligned with the 'rangefinder'. 

According to what I just found on this page, you can't use old film rangefinder lenses with modern DSLRs. Here's the relevant stuff:

If the lenses are for a medium format or SLR system, chances are you may be able to use it.

However, if the lenses/cameras are rangefinder gear, then you're SOL. You can tell a rangefinder from an SLR, because it won't have the SLR viewfinder "hump" for the pentaprism (and of course, it will have the rangefinder window).

Just the brand name isn't going to be enough to tell you, since all the big cameras during the '50s and '60s, all of the same brands that make SLRs today made rangefinders then.  Rangefinder lenses cannot be easily adapted for dSLR use, and the only digital cameras that can use these are the small mirrorless compacts (like micro four-thirds or the Sony NX cameras).

Oh, in pasting that I just noticed it says you can use them with the smaller mirorless cameras like Micro 4/3 cameras. So I guess it depends on the kind of camera you have. 

Ah, that makes sense.  Thanks!

Anyone have a camera they might work with?  I hate to see stuff go to waste, so if you can use them they're yours for the cost of shipping.

Been digging around a bit more and haven't come up with much else. Here's a page listing adapters, and from scanning down the list the only ones I see that mention rangefinder  lenses are the micro 4/3 and Sony NEX, which is another small mirrorless model. Probably due to the rear lens protrusion. 

I'm already set up for lenses. I've got a really good 35 mm, and a 100 mm is too long for stopmo use really - with the 2x crop factor it's equivalent to a 200 mm telephoto lens - I'd have to put the camera way at the other end of the basement! 

I'm only aware of one other guy on the forum who's using an m4/3 camera, though there may be more. 

I'm not sure if the Ansco lenses will fit either of the existing adapters, which are made for Nikon, Contax and Voightlander lenses. If anybody is interested in continuing the research or has a small format mirrorless camera like an m4/3 or a Sony NEX, here's another page with loads of info on adapters for rangefinder lenses: http://www.cameraquest.com/nrfVClens.htm

Reply to Discussion

RSS

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

STOPMO NEWBIES
basic stopmo discussion

ANIMATOR TALK
experienced animators looking to improve

CAMERA & STAGE
animation camera, lighting and moco rigs

ANIMATION TOOLS & EQUIPMENT
animation tool and rigging discussion

STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS
frame capture, editing, and post-production

STORY
script, storyboarding and storyreel discussion

SOUND
lip-sync, sound effects and music

YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT
discuss your stopmo film

ARMATURES
ball & socket and wire armature discussion

MACHINE SHOP
metalwork tool & talk

SCULPTING
sculpture information and advice

HAIR & COSTUME
materials, patterns and technique

CASTING
foam, silicone and resin

CLAY
clay puppet construction

GENERAL PUPPET MAKING
other puppet fabrication issues

STOP MOTION SETS
set design and construction information

MODEL DEPARTMENT
miniature prop discussion

MATTE PAINTINGS
glass matte paintings and backgrounds

GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS

STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION

FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS

PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION

FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS

ANIMATION SCHOOLS

STOP MOTION BOOKS

STOP MOTION ON VIDEO

JOBS & PROJECTS
post here if you are looking for talent to hire

SWAP MEET
stop motion items for sale

CHAT BOARD
general discussion

SITE FEEDBACK
report bugs, comments and suggestions here

Latest Activity

StopmoNick replied to Aj Shenefelt's discussion What to use for set background?
"I'm working on a forest backdrop at the moment.  I am painting it on a piece of masonite…"
16 hours ago
Aj Shenefelt posted a discussion

What to use for set background?

Hi everyone,My apologies if this has been discussed already, but I have had a difficult time…See More
20 hours ago
maddogmovies replied to Jet Zhang's discussion Sculpture material of puppet hands
"Work backwards from the end product. You want silicone (soft) hands. That means a hard mold. If you…"
23 hours ago
Greyguy replied to Greyguy's discussion Start a new armature
yesterday

© 2020   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}