Hi. I'm writing a paperwork about stop motion animation and my professor doesn't allow me to put word 'stop motion' in the title since it is foreign word and can't be translated in Serbian. He wants me to write 'animating objects' instead but, you must admit, it doesn't sound really well. I know it can be called also 'stop frame animation' but that won't be allowed either. Croatians call it also just 'stop animation' and sometimes it is also mentioned as 'stop trick animation'. I think those two would work in Serbian, but I want to check with you, experienced people, what do you think? Or if someone have any more names? Thanks.

Views: 1688

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

In Eastern European vernacular it's sometimes referred to as Trickfilm or Puppetfilm. The term Object Animation is very specific and refers to those films with pots and pans sliding around on a counter, you know? Not so much with actual articulated puppets that are built for the purpose. Though I suppose if you're using it in the broadest possible sense it could be a term for all stopmotion animation, but I agree with you that it isn't really a good term for it. You already mentioned most of the terms I'm familiar with, and there really isn't a better one that I know of (trust me, we've had this conversation several times before.. ) 

Stop Animation would be good I think if you want to use that one. I hadn't heard Stop Trick Animation before - it's quite a mouthful, but would work too I suppose. 

Can you put some example of that object animations with pots and pans cuz I don't know what are you thinking of?
Ok, thanks, I'm waiting for more answers and opinions :)

Sure - though I'm having a hard time thinking of any so I can find them on youtube. Here's the first one that came to mind - Her Morning elegance:

Oh wait - how could I forget!!?? The master of object animation is Jan Svankmajer!! Here's his Dimensions of Dialogue:

Neither one is totally pure object animation - the first one has animated people, which is a specialized subset of stopmotion technically called Pixilation (because it was thought the people move around magically and look like pixies - not to be confused with Pixelation (with an E), which is a computer term. And it uses mostly clothes and some other stuff, not pots and pans (of course I didn't mean only pots and pans - it's just that a lot of object animation is done that way). 

And the Svankmajer film also includes some claymation (which is actually a trademarked term owned by Will Vinton, creator of the California Raisins, technically it should be just called clay animation). But these should be enough to get the idea across, It's just objects sliding around frame by frame usually, and they don't have articulated armatures in them.

Another term for Stop Motion Animation is Model Animation.  As used on Ray Harryhausen and Tony Dalton's book (at least in some countries) "A Century of Model Animation - From Melies to Aardman".

In English, the term Object Animation does mostly refer to moving objects around that were not made to be puppets.  It often looks like this:

@Strider
I know what you meant now. Just any object sliding around, those pots and pans confused me :) Anyway, I know about Jan Swankmajer and you're right, object animation is only subtechnique of stop motion animation and I also write that in my paperwork.

@StopmoNick
I also mentioned model animation as subtechnique of stop motion animation. I would tell it is also specific type..I would prefer some other term more similar to 'stop motion'. Sorry if it is complicated, I just need some other name than 'stop motion' to put in my title, in the rest of paperwork I may use 'stop motion'.

It would be perfect if I could use term 'stop animation' or 'stop trick animation' because it resembles the most of the term 'stop motion'. Paperwork will go to the college library after finishing, so If some student would require something about stop motion to read, he would assume that's it. But with the term 'object animation', I doubt. Someone told me stop motion animators sometimes use term 'stop animation' as short, so I was wondering is it proper to put that?

I've heard stop animation several times and I would understand what it meant. 

Thanks

Strider said:

I've heard stop animation several times and I would understand what it meant. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

STOPMO NEWBIES
basic stopmo discussion

ANIMATOR TALK
experienced animators looking to improve

CAMERA & STAGE
animation camera, lighting and moco rigs

ANIMATION TOOLS & EQUIPMENT
animation tool and rigging discussion

STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS
frame capture, editing, and post-production

STORY
script, storyboarding and storyreel discussion

SOUND
lip-sync, sound effects and music

YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT
discuss your stopmo film

ARMATURES
ball & socket and wire armature discussion

MACHINE SHOP
metalwork tool & talk

SCULPTING
sculpture information and advice

HAIR & COSTUME
materials, patterns and technique

CASTING
foam, silicone and resin

CLAY
clay puppet construction

GENERAL PUPPET MAKING
other puppet fabrication issues

STOP MOTION SETS
set design and construction information

MODEL DEPARTMENT
miniature prop discussion

MATTE PAINTINGS
glass matte paintings and backgrounds

GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS

STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION

FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS

PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION

FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS

ANIMATION SCHOOLS

STOP MOTION BOOKS

STOP MOTION ON VIDEO

JOBS & PROJECTS
post here if you are looking for talent to hire

SWAP MEET
stop motion items for sale

CHAT BOARD
general discussion

SITE FEEDBACK
report bugs, comments and suggestions here

Latest Activity

wangrui posted a blog post

I meanI put a diamond contract NBA 2K

You are able to purchase"contracts" rather than use real contracts. Begin a new lineup and …See More
2 hours ago
Jeremy Yoder replied to Jeremy Yoder's discussion Willis O’Brien Recommendations
"Thank you for the recommendations. I appreciate it."
11 hours ago
Betty Jordon commented on Rory Thomas's blog post Download Any Images and Videos from Instagram
"Such methods are very convenient for downloading all kinds of materials from Instagram. It…"
13 hours ago
StopmoNick replied to Jeremy Yoder's discussion Willis O’Brien Recommendations
"Other films that O'Brien did effects and animation for - 1. The Lost World, a 1925 silent…"
18 hours ago

© 2020   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}