I'm a newbie - this is my first proper stop-motion project. I'm trying to start the actual animation process, and after searching around, have opted for AnimatorHD. I decided to try the trial version to make sure it works. But it doesn't.

AnimatorHD(trial ver.) doesn't recognise my Canon EOS 1200D as a capture device. I've set it to manual mode and auto focus. I have it connected to my laptop via USB/mini USB. I have EOS Utility installed on my laptop, which came on disc from Canon with the camera, and allows me to use live view and remote control via my laptop. This works just fine, I am able to see through the lens on my laptop screen.

However when I create a new project on AnimatorHD trial, it doesn't seem to recognise my DSLR. I pick DSLR + Live View (EVF) and select EVF Live view from the drop down list (the only other option being my built in webcam). When I do this, nothing happens, the preview window is blank. I try "Reset", "Connect","Test Release" and "Capture Device". Nothing does anything. I've tried connecting the camera before and after I open the program to no avail. I have watched their tutorial, but I seem to have everything set up the same, except the camera just isn't connecting in my case.

I'm not very good at working technology, and all this is really putting me off carrying on with my project. I have a deadline which seems impossible to meet, and I'm starting to freak out :( I would appreciate some technical support so much right now. Thanks!

Views: 1173

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

since you are in hurry why don't you try to download the trial version of dragonframe?

so you can see if it works with your camera

i gave a look to animatorhd and it seems you did all in the right way so this is my maybe useless advice

Make sure canons software is not open at the same time.  I agree, Dragon makes life very simple. 

You could even try moving the Canon app to a temporary location.  I had a lot of trouble with Canon and Nikon software disabling each other, had to not just close the other make's software but get it out of the Applications folder (on a Mac).  ***edit***  I see Animator DV is for PCs so you must be using a Windows machine.****

I use Dragonframe on my Mac, and Stop Motion Pro HD Studio on my old PC, have had no trouble with them recognising the Canon camera, have connected 4 different EOS models and all worked.  I am currently using an iMac computer for framegrabbing that has never had Canon software installed, and DF works fine with my Canon EOS (40d and 7d). 

The 1200D is on the list of compatible cameras for Animator DV, StopMotion Pro, and Dragonframe, so there must be a way to get it sorted.

I haven't used Animator DV at all so I don't know if that is where the issue is.  But if the Dragonframe trial version can see the camera, that would give you a solution.  

Thanks guys. I sent a similar message to AnimatorHD's support team and they senT back a couple of lines telling me that it should work. Much useful. Such advice. I've decided to ditch AnimatorHD. Instead I've installed Stop Motion Pro Eclipse since it's cheaper than Dragonframe (I think?) and I've started animating. All running very smoothly, linked up my Canon with a single click. Thanks for nothing, AnimatorHD!

That's a shame. AnimatorHD (DV, etc) is a pretty good little program. I used it for a couple years before I learned about DF and SMP. However, I was only able to get it to work with an old Panasonic DV camcorder. My friend's Canon DSLR wouldn't work with the software, and my Nikon doesn't work with it either. So it's not just you! lol

Awesome that you found a program to use though! :D

Good news!

Hi Lottie,

I've been using AnimtorHD for a few years and it's always worked really well. However, I'm wondering if the Trail version allows for the use of DSLR's (...maybe just webcams or compact cameras?). 

I know Gregor (who created AnimatorHD) - I'm sure if you emailed him he'd be willing to offer advice.   :)

Hope that helps.

James

Kerrupt Stop-Motion Animation

We use animator hd…from memory it only works on xp..what os you using?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

STOPMO NEWBIES
basic stopmo discussion

ANIMATOR TALK
experienced animators looking to improve

CAMERA & STAGE
animation camera, lighting and moco rigs

ANIMATION TOOLS & EQUIPMENT
animation tool and rigging discussion

STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS
frame capture, editing, and post-production

STORY
script, storyboarding and storyreel discussion

SOUND
lip-sync, sound effects and music

YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT
discuss your stopmo film

ARMATURES
ball & socket and wire armature discussion

MACHINE SHOP
metalwork tool & talk

SCULPTING
sculpture information and advice

HAIR & COSTUME
materials, patterns and technique

CASTING
foam, silicone and resin

CLAY
clay puppet construction

GENERAL PUPPET MAKING
other puppet fabrication issues

STOP MOTION SETS
set design and construction information

MODEL DEPARTMENT
miniature prop discussion

MATTE PAINTINGS
glass matte paintings and backgrounds

GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS

STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION

FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS

PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION

FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS

ANIMATION SCHOOLS

STOP MOTION BOOKS

STOP MOTION ON VIDEO

JOBS & PROJECTS
post here if you are looking for talent to hire

SWAP MEET
stop motion items for sale

CHAT BOARD
general discussion

SITE FEEDBACK
report bugs, comments and suggestions here

Latest Activity

Rebecca Agnew replied to Rebecca Agnew's discussion Horse Puppet Issue
"Thanks everyone for sharing your experiments and ideas. Time to update my methodologies- I cast it…"
1 hour ago
Simon Tytherleigh replied to Rebecca Agnew's discussion Horse Puppet Issue
"I have done a couple of experiments using cushion foam coated with builders silicone. You are right…"
3 hours ago
Driffon replied to Rebecca Agnew's discussion Horse Puppet Issue
"Smooth-On makes a platinum-cure silicone foam called Soma Foma-15 that might work well as a filler;…"
18 hours ago
StopmoNick replied to Rebecca Agnew's discussion Horse Puppet Issue
"Hi Rebecca, I'd re-do my horse from scratch if it was a major character, but I made a Hansom…"
23 hours ago

© 2019   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}