Hello!

Brand spanking new member here ... I'm trying to animate some shoelaces so they look like they've tied themselves.  My question is two-fold - has anyone done this before and would they care to share their experience, tips, tricks, etc? Secondly, I'm planning on using pipe cleaners to reinforce the shoelaces and then using fishing line, I'm going to suspend them for the mid-air/pre-loop part of the animation. Does this sound like the right approach or does anyone have any better suggestions?  Would I be better of using wire instead of pipe cleaners?

Should it help, I'm using white shoes, white shoelaces, on orange seamless paper.  Shooting using a 5Dmk3, Dragonframe 4, and Kinos.

Thank you in advance!

Views: 87

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi, if you use cloth-covered wire for the laces, you won't need the fishing line at all. Also, I would recommend shooting in reverse. Start with the laces tied, and gradually untie them and have the laces fly around as you please. You simply reverse the clip in post-production. I hope that helps.

Good luck!

Dawn

It might be possible to feed a wire into the center of a woven lace. Or, with a very thin aluminum wire you can sew it to the underside of a lace.

Thank you so much! Very helpful. Wondered if shooting backwards would help and now I need wonder no more. :)

Dawn Brown said:

Hi, if you use cloth-covered wire for the laces, you won't need the fishing line at all. Also, I would recommend shooting in reverse. Start with the laces tied, and gradually untie them and have the laces fly around as you please. You simply reverse the clip in post-production. I hope that helps.

Good luck!

Dawn

I like this idea a lot. I think perhaps sewing to the underside and cleaning up in post might be the way to go. Thank you so much!

Maureen Z said:

It might be possible to feed a wire into the center of a woven lace. Or, with a very thin aluminum wire you can sew it to the underside of a lace.

Good Luck! Look forward to seeing it.

Prav Potu said:

I like this idea a lot. I think perhaps sewing to the underside and cleaning up in post might be the way to go. Thank you so much!

Maureen Z said:

It might be possible to feed a wire into the center of a woven lace. Or, with a very thin aluminum wire you can sew it to the underside of a lace.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

STOPMO NEWBIES
basic stopmo discussion

ANIMATOR TALK
experienced animators looking to improve

CAMERA & STAGE
animation camera, lighting and moco rigs

ANIMATION TOOLS & EQUIPMENT
animation tool and rigging discussion

STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS
frame capture, editing, and post-production

STORY
script, storyboarding and storyreel discussion

SOUND
lip-sync, sound effects and music

YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT
discuss your stopmo film

ARMATURES
ball & socket and wire armature discussion

MACHINE SHOP
metalwork tool & talk

SCULPTING
sculpture information and advice

HAIR & COSTUME
materials, patterns and technique

CASTING
foam, silicone and resin

CLAY
clay puppet construction

GENERAL PUPPET MAKING
other puppet fabrication issues

STOP MOTION SETS
set design and construction information

MODEL DEPARTMENT
miniature prop discussion

MATTE PAINTINGS
glass matte paintings and backgrounds

GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS

STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION

FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS

PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION

FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS

ANIMATION SCHOOLS

STOP MOTION BOOKS

STOP MOTION ON VIDEO

JOBS & PROJECTS
post here if you are looking for talent to hire

SWAP MEET
stop motion items for sale

CHAT BOARD
general discussion

SITE FEEDBACK
report bugs, comments and suggestions here

Latest Activity

Jeremy Yoder replied to Jeremy Yoder's discussion Willis O’Brien Recommendations
"Thank you for the recommendations. I appreciate it."
2 hours ago
Betty Jordon commented on Rory Thomas's blog post Download Any Images and Videos from Instagram
"Such methods are very convenient for downloading all kinds of materials from Instagram. It…"
4 hours ago
StopmoNick replied to Jeremy Yoder's discussion Willis O’Brien Recommendations
"Other films that O'Brien did effects and animation for - 1. The Lost World, a 1925 silent…"
9 hours ago
Betty Jordon commented on Onanhon's blog post Attain Increased Source Of Information With Mmogah
"The availability of online games has made them popular among a wide range of fans. You will find a…"
12 hours ago

© 2020   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}