Whats your favorite method of animating water if you want a realistic watereffect? Clear hairgel, glass sheet, thin plastic sheets or anything else? :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Cw8xeWYaUA&spfreload=5

Views: 2007

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Depends on whether it is a flowing river, waterfall, still pond with ripples, choppy water in a busy swimming pool, the ocean, waves on a beach...

Hair gel on perspex, with cellophane on top, worked well for swimming pool water in this film by Anthony Lawrence.  The fingers could stroke the cellophane surface every frame, and not get all gooey.  It looked just as good looking up at the sky from under the water, as you can see on this page.  http://www.graceunderwater.com/home.html

For a waterfall or fast flowing stream, a long strip of cling wrap being pulled down frame by frame looks good.  It could be a continuous loop with a drum at trop and bottom.  Possibly putting some hair gel on top of it, as well, would add to the effect by refracting the water in a way a thin film would not.

I've mostly cheated and composited cgi waves or footage of real water in, but I would like to do something more in-camera.

I always wanted to ask you Nick, how in the world did you do the water in your beach rat scene on youtube (great scene by the way). It looks real but very stopmo at the same time, confused the hell out of me O_o

Thank you so much for your reply Nick! Helpful as always :) Im animating a creature emerging from a pocket of quicksand in the forest. I have created a mixture of corn startch, sand and oil that has claylike abilitys and looks a bit like wet sand, but I need it to look more wet. Like waterpuddles on top. I also want more wet overall look in the forest, and some waterpuddles here and there, to create a more swamplike atmosphere. But the quicksand is the most important part :)

I do still pools or puddles with a little wallpaper paste.  It comes a a sachet of powder, you mix  little in with some water.  It looks lumpy and whiteish at first but goes clear after an hour or so.  You may find you have too much powder in, and need to add water.  It can be any thickness but i mostly use it as a thick syrupy liquid.  I used it in pools because with plain water, I would always get a few floating particles, and every time I reached in to animate the puppet wading in the water they would skate around unpredictably on the surface.  Thickening the water made them stay in  place.  I last used the wallpaper paste in the pond in L'Animteur.  

oh. amazing tip! And I love this short of yours. It´s wonderful.
For the little puddles thats not supposed to be animated im thinking of using clear resin instead. But this would be awesome for the water in the quicksand. Purhaps it would dry up to fast when the sand mixes together with it during animation though.

I´ll do some tests :)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

STOPMO NEWBIES
basic stopmo discussion

ANIMATOR TALK
experienced animators looking to improve

CAMERA & STAGE
animation camera, lighting and moco rigs

ANIMATION TOOLS & EQUIPMENT
animation tool and rigging discussion

STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS
frame capture, editing, and post-production

STORY
script, storyboarding and storyreel discussion

SOUND
lip-sync, sound effects and music

YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT
discuss your stopmo film

ARMATURES
ball & socket and wire armature discussion

MACHINE SHOP
metalwork tool & talk

SCULPTING
sculpture information and advice

HAIR & COSTUME
materials, patterns and technique

CASTING
foam, silicone and resin

CLAY
clay puppet construction

GENERAL PUPPET MAKING
other puppet fabrication issues

STOP MOTION SETS
set design and construction information

MODEL DEPARTMENT
miniature prop discussion

MATTE PAINTINGS
glass matte paintings and backgrounds

GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS

STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION

FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS

PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION

FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS

ANIMATION SCHOOLS

STOP MOTION BOOKS

STOP MOTION ON VIDEO

JOBS & PROJECTS
post here if you are looking for talent to hire

SWAP MEET
stop motion items for sale

CHAT BOARD
general discussion

SITE FEEDBACK
report bugs, comments and suggestions here

Latest Activity

StopmoNick replied to Daniel Svensson's discussion App that can remove rigs?
"I don't know what TV Paint on an Android device is like, didn't know there was one.…"
Thursday
Eric J. Nelson posted a video

Winter Fun at the Skating Rink | Stop Motion | American Girl

Winter’s finally here! Time to lace up our skates and hit the ice. Whether you’re a figure skater or hockey player, we're all on the same team when we help e...
Wednesday
Rob Nugen replied to Anthony Scott's discussion Please Introduce Yourself
"Welcome to the community!  I look forward to seeing some of your work.  :-)"
Wednesday
Dave Cooley replied to Chris Johnson's discussion Halloween with Corky and Clay
"Looking good!"
Tuesday

© 2019   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}