HI all,

All of us struggle, at least i think we do, with motion blur in our stop motion animation. There are several techniques involved, starting with moving the puppet while capturing the frame, processing the frames in POST in some compositing or graphic package, or some other technique i never heard about yet. Since my project will involve fast movements, i am forced to take into consideration the motion blur. Some of the moves, the ones controlled by MOCO, will be blurred in camera but there are some moves that i would prefer to do in compositor. I made some tests and i would like some feedback from you. Workflow was :DF-D3300->Blender(scale/resize)->Fusion-8(motion-blur)->Lightworks(final edit and titling).

Thank you in advance for all your help,

JD

Views: 1129

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I had to download the video and watch frame by frame to notice the difference. Do you think you could make the shadow darker and blurrier, perhaps?

Also is it completely out of the table to make the blur frame by frame using Photoshop or another image editing software? This way you could make it look even better, and also consider some squash-and-stretch effects. 

HI,

thank you for your reply. I can definitely make the second and third darker and blurrier. The "waver test" was simply done to confirm the tool chain. Fusion 8 has some pretty fancy optical tracking, motion blur and motion smooth modules but they do not come for free. So instead of using the paid modules, i tried to design another technique to achieve a similar result. There is still room to improve because i want to use a difference node in order to separate only the moving parts and put them in via a vector mask. The purpose is to have a fast motion blur that can work in POST for at least two workflows(Blender and Fusion8).

The blurring in Gimp/Photoshop is not out of the question. However it is a titanic work since there will be a lot of fast motion in the clip.

cheers,

JD

I'm trying to think of alternatives, but all I know is After Effects should do the trick somehow. If you're willing, send me the unblurred videos and I'll make some tests.

Hi Julian, There is a plugin called ReelSmart Motion Blur by a company called RE:Vision Effects. Here is their website http://revisionfx.com/products/rsmb/

They make a motion blur plugin that may do what you are looking for. It is available for a wide variety of software including After Effects, Premiere, Final Cut Pro, etc. It's under $100, and they even have a free trial.

Good luck!

Dawn

There's allso this standard (free) effect in After Effects called pixel motionblur that I think does kind of the same thing as the reelsmart motion blur, allthough I think the reelsmart may be a lot more effective. Here's a demo anyway: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRo1JP72ZIc

And I think I'm going to check out the Reelsmart myself now, so thanks for that tip Dawn!

I used ReelSmart in my last movie, and it was very good. Lots of options to play with.

Thank you so much for the advice. I know about ReelSmart but their offer is only for MAC and Windows(Fusion). All my workflow is, excepting DF, on linux. Since i am planning to build some render nodes for speeding up the things around, i would like to keep all nice and dandy on the same platform since Centos 7 is very stable and proven to work with all required suites. Also there are many problems with Fusion not being certified for Windows 10( like many other comps) and a heard about some crashing also on that platform. Blender is stable on Windows 10 but it has no ready made 2d Motion Blur. In 2.6X, you could work with a similar workflow like in Fusion because the ImageSequence comp had an offset property. In 2.7X that property is removed so you cannot use that path anymore. So it is a little more complicated.

@Daniel, thank you for the offer but i saw what AE is capable of doing. I was just trying to make a workflow for the current platform OS and apps i am using without spending more $$$ on software.

I also have to improve my animating skills in order to have the base required for a good quality motion blur.

Thank you again for all your help,

JD

When I tested it, I found that Reelsmart (and the built-in blurs in AE too), really only work well when the moving object has not moved very far.  So for really rapid motion, when you want the most blur, often the moving bit has moved too far and the software doesn't track it as being the same thing.  In those cases I've had to apply the blur manually to selected areas in TV Paint  (which I don't think is for Linux either).  Also, Reelsmart will tend to drag the background along as well, so it works better when the puppet is against greenscreen so you can isolate it.

Thanks Nick.

I will use green screen because i have to extend the sets. I am working at 1:12 scale and i will use a lot of digital assets. Most probably i will go with a software option for easy parts where motion blur is easy and straight forward, and for the more complicated parts i will do the blur manually.

Is it possible for someone to describe what one would actually do with ReelSmart MB to create blur in a clip? I sort of get the principle, that you want to blur the moving objects to minimise stutter, and keep the static background nice and crisp. But I haven't a clue how one would go about it in After Effects, which is what I have.

Thanks.

I tested the demo version of Reelsmart MB as a plug-in in After Effects.  (Hard to remember the procedure for me, I can remember how I did actual physical things like fixing a motorbike engine or making a mould perfectly well,  whether it was last week or 20 years ago, but how I did something in computer software just doesn't stick.)  I can find notes for slowing down footage in AE, but not for motion blur.   Fortunately there are a few tutorials for using RSMB in AE on Youtube if you search.  Here's one using RSMB: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_89eUbY62c

And here's one using the built-in plugins in AE:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-9HBRMdquM    Frankly, I see no point in buying Reelsmart MB, if you have AE anyway, they seem to work the same way.

I know I tried applying the blur to the flying critter after compositing, to see how well I could eliminate smearing of the background by changing the settings, and still have a blur.  I could reduce it so it wasn't very noticeable, but not get rid of it completely.  I also noticed that the wing tips, which move the most, are less blurred than the rest of the wing.  I think this is because they moved so far, they were not being tracked.  

The best results came from blurring the wings before compositing the puppet, and before moving it across the screen.  And I did better selecting the wings and applying directional blur, or radial blur, to the wings in TV Paint (or Photoshop), then putting the puppet into the scene.

Thank you, Nick.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

STOPMO NEWBIES
basic stopmo discussion

ANIMATOR TALK
experienced animators looking to improve

CAMERA & STAGE
animation camera, lighting and moco rigs

ANIMATION TOOLS & EQUIPMENT
animation tool and rigging discussion

STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS
frame capture, editing, and post-production

STORY
script, storyboarding and storyreel discussion

SOUND
lip-sync, sound effects and music

YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT
discuss your stopmo film

ARMATURES
ball & socket and wire armature discussion

MACHINE SHOP
metalwork tool & talk

SCULPTING
sculpture information and advice

HAIR & COSTUME
materials, patterns and technique

CASTING
foam, silicone and resin

CLAY
clay puppet construction

GENERAL PUPPET MAKING
other puppet fabrication issues

STOP MOTION SETS
set design and construction information

MODEL DEPARTMENT
miniature prop discussion

MATTE PAINTINGS
glass matte paintings and backgrounds

GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS

STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION

FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS

PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION

FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS

ANIMATION SCHOOLS

STOP MOTION BOOKS

STOP MOTION ON VIDEO

JOBS & PROJECTS
post here if you are looking for talent to hire

SWAP MEET
stop motion items for sale

CHAT BOARD
general discussion

SITE FEEDBACK
report bugs, comments and suggestions here

Latest Activity

Devin Pingree replied to Devin Pingree's discussion 1:6 scale props
"Thanks for the information. I'll see what I can find on eBay."
3 hours ago
StopmoNick replied to Devin Pingree's discussion 1:6 scale props
"There are quite a few things made for 12" action figures.  Especially WWII military stuff…"
16 hours ago
StopmoNick replied to Rebecca Agnew's discussion Horse Puppet Issue
"Thanks for the hair tips Rebecca!  I think I will look for mohair.  "
16 hours ago
Rebecca Agnew replied to Rebecca Agnew's discussion Horse Puppet Issue
"Thanks everyone for sharing your experiments and ideas. Time to update my methodologies- I cast it…"
20 hours ago

© 2019   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}