Adding audio/editing files if using AnimatorDV software ?

Hi everyone, my name is Renata and I'm new at this stop motion animation stuff and slightly bewildered...!

My first attempts were with a digital camera and plasticne models, using Windows MM on my pc to make an animation. I have now got a webcam and downloaded the free version of AnimatorDV.  I've taken some clips which I would like to add audio to, but no idea how I do this !  The Animator files are .adv files - WMM does not want to import them - do I need to convert them to something else for WMM ? Or Is there another way of editing files/adding audio if you are using AnimatorDV software ? Not sure what I should be doing next...!

Thanks so much for any help you can give me, this website is a godsend...

Views: 333

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Renata, not sure if I can help as I'm pretty new at this too but I have been using Helium Frog which is also a free animation programme with a Logitech pro 9000 webcam. In this programme you can save Jpegs which I then import into a video editing programme called Power Director. Its then fairly easy to cut or add frames wherever you want and add sound. If you are trying to add sound that is linked to specific movement in your film then it is best to get the sound sorted first then build the film around it. Guess this doesn't answer your specific queries but maybe of some help I hope. Keith.

Not familiar with AnimatorDV or the adv files - but most likely you need to export your files in some codec WMM can work with. Clcik on the Help button for ADV nd see if you can find anything about exporting when you're done animating. 

I don't know Animator DV, but most framegrabbers would save all the images in a folder.  They may be Jpegs.   I don't use my framegrabber (Stopmotion Pro HD) to EXPORT, I use another program to IMPORT the image sequence from the folder.  QT Pro 7 (About $30 in the US, $45 here in Australia, for PC or Mac) can import a numbered sequence of Jpegs, for example, and turn them into a QT mov or AVI or several other movie formats.

The main job of a frame grabber is to let you see what you are doing while you animate, and to capture the images from the camera to the hard drive.  They have limited ability to do other things, but for me at least, once I have finished the shot, I move on to other software to put the film together.  

Usually you will want another program or two to do the editing, rig removal, final trimming, and adding sound tracks.  Adding all the sounds is the main thing I do in my editor.  Some video editors can import an image sequence directly, some only want to import movie files like AVIs or QT mov files.  (I use Final Cut Pro 6 - Mac only -  which doesn't handle image sequences, so I have to turn them into mov files in QT Pro first, then import them into Final Cut.)  Video editors will have the ability to add several tracks of audio files, and move them around to synch them up, adjust volume, and then output the final movie complete with sound.  

I'm not familiar with any of the ultra cheap video editing options, since I went from working at a TV station with pro video and sound editors to doing it myself on a home computer, and I stayed with software I was already familiar with.  But we have people on this board using software at all price levels here so probably someone can help.

With sound, dialog is normally recorded first, so you can animate to fit.  Sound effects are usually done after the animation and editing are finished, and made to fit the film.  Music can go either way - you can get a composer to write it to fit the pictures after you're done, or you can take existing music and animate/edit to fit in with the timing of the music.  

I fooled around with WMM a long time ago and gave it up as a waste of time.  Maybe it's better now, but I doubt it's really much use.  There are lots of video editors, from free ones, cheap $100 ones, and semi-pro/pro editors like Premiere or Sony Vegas around.

D'oh - I just realized - the adv files would be the files the framegrabber itself uses - not your movie files at all. Just like in Dragon you have DGN files, and allthey are is your movie project - they dont contain the images or anything, only link to them in whatever folder they're in. When the file name is an abbreviation of the company name, you can bet that's a proprietary filetype tat won't work in any other program.

You just need to find where it stores the image files - probably in either your Pictures or Movies folder, nested inside a folder that probably says AnimatorDV or ADV something something on it.

In fact try this - search your hard drive for the filename attached to your images. Whatever you chose for them to be called. That should turn up whatever folder they're hiding in. 

Thanks to everyone for replying, I really appreciate it !

Keith - I also have the 9000 logitech webcam ! Will check out Power Director, re adding sound, it is more just adding 'footsteps' , etc at this stage, nothing too advanced ! 

Strider: I have been a total numpty, yes think you're are right about containers/codecs, I'm not saving the files properly, it turns out I can actually save as .avi files (and then import into WMM). thanks for the tip re the file names! Also for doing the search.

StopMo Nick: ...yes need to get myself better editing software - am familiar with Premier Elements but will check out Sony Vegas. I need to upgrade my laptop and am thinking a mac  may be better option for animtion work... more stuff to to my head around !

Thanks again

Hi Renata,

recently I made my first stop motion and I used Stop motion pro to have a look at my recorded material, Adobe Photoshop or Paint.net to remove all the rigs and Adobe Premiere for editing and post production. Premiere has that image sequence adding, I believe Sony Vegas also has that option. I also added all the sounds in Premiere since there are numerous tracks to combine sounds and video parts. I would recommend not to use that sequence option but rather add all the jpegs as a bunch of jpegs :D. At least it worked better for me that way

And don't be affraid to check my video "Lopta u parku" and leave a comment :)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

MESSAGE BOARD CATEGORIES

STOPMO NEWBIES
basic stopmo discussion

ANIMATOR TALK
experienced animators looking to improve

CAMERA & STAGE
animation camera, lighting and moco rigs

ANIMATION TOOLS & EQUIPMENT
animation tool and rigging discussion

STOP MOTION & COMPUTERS
frame capture, editing, and post-production

STORY
script, storyboarding and storyreel discussion

SOUND
lip-sync, sound effects and music

YOUR STOPMO FILM PROJECT
discuss your stopmo film

ARMATURES
ball & socket and wire armature discussion

MACHINE SHOP
metalwork tool & talk

SCULPTING
sculpture information and advice

HAIR & COSTUME
materials, patterns and technique

CASTING
foam, silicone and resin

CLAY
clay puppet construction

GENERAL PUPPET MAKING
other puppet fabrication issues

STOP MOTION SETS
set design and construction information

MODEL DEPARTMENT
miniature prop discussion

MATTE PAINTINGS
glass matte paintings and backgrounds

GENERAL SPECIAL EFFECTS

STOP MOTION FILM DISCUSSION

FAVORITE STOP MOTION CHARACTERS

PRO ANIMATOR DISCUSSION

FILM FESTIVALS AND EVENTS

ANIMATION SCHOOLS

STOP MOTION BOOKS

STOP MOTION ON VIDEO

JOBS & PROJECTS
post here if you are looking for talent to hire

SWAP MEET
stop motion items for sale

CHAT BOARD
general discussion

SITE FEEDBACK
report bugs, comments and suggestions here

Latest Activity

Jet Zhang posted discussions
yesterday
Jasper Kuipers replied to Iulian Demetrescu's discussion Pigment oil clay
"Hi Iulian,I have had some nice results using powdered paint pigments. The stuff that is used to…"
Sunday
StopmoNick replied to Daniel Svensson's discussion App that can remove rigs?
"I don't know what TV Paint on an Android device is like, didn't know there was one.…"
Dec 4
Eric J. Nelson posted a video

Winter Fun at the Skating Rink | Stop Motion | American Girl

Winter’s finally here! Time to lace up our skates and hit the ice. Whether you’re a figure skater or hockey player, we're all on the same team when we help e...
Dec 4

© 2019   Created by Anthony Scott.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

.xg_widget_forum_index_index .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_listForCategory .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;} .xg_widget_forum_topic_show .xg_column.xg_span-7.xg_last {display:none;}